Kangxi On Rivers Edge...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this nice large blue & white Kangxi Porcelain shard on friends property along shoreline of Indian River near Sebastian today...

image-64597432.jpg

image-2110635883.jpg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How can you tell it is from the K'ang Hsi period?

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom... Awesome news about your health man!!!

As for the porcelain, I am no expert to say the least but have been researching the export porcelains for a while now... Two things lead to me to believe it is Kangxi...

First is the location it was recovered in... Which for obvious reasons, I won't provide details other than what I have already said... Found some small denomination 1715 Fleet coinage and other related materials in the same area hence my reason for looking there.

Secondly, the base of Kangxi period porcelains is often quite a giveaway as the glazing typically did not extend all the way to the base of the rim on the bottom (which I can see with this piece but it doesn't translate so well in the pics)...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few pics of it as it started to clean it up a bit today...

image-784896228.jpg

image-2037624762.jpg

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BikeLawyer...

I have recovered quite a few neat 1715 Fleet items in the same area... several 1 and 2 Reales, a large ornate iron lock, various size lead shot, a large iron ships spike, olive jar pottery shards, a large encrusted buckle, a pewter button, and a small intact Kangxi Cup (which I hit a little too hard with my probe and snapped a piece off but later recovered and repaired it), and now this piece of porcelain...

My current spot is close to the area where the well documented Higgs Excavation was done way back when and is also near the spot where the third Spanish shipwreck survivors "well" was dug in the area near the encampment...

Here's a neat photo of the Spanish well that was reportedly found by Kip Wagners dog... This one is the first one that was found and it was located where the Parking lot at the McLarty Museum is currently today... You can still see the dip in the parking lot where they paved over the spot where the well had been. In the photo, you can see the barrel that they had set down into the hole to make the "well"... In the photo, there is still some water where the barrel sits...

image-3869073639.jpg

Last edited:

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is good find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions