Keene A52 Classifier

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The angled flow lip on that box is something I was thinking about adding to my A-52 to increase the volatility of water going through my box. I would like to see it in action to see if it would do what I'm looking for. The tar river is a slow moving deep river with no fast water to move the material down my box. So my idea was to cut down the side of the flair and bend the cut piece down or just add a piece under my flair with rivets to increase my water intake without putting the box completely under the water. Any thought or input would be greatly appreciated. I do like the design of the box in the video, but I think I would have a LONGER recovery area, for my piece of mind.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The angled flow lip on that box is something I was thinking about adding to my A-52 to increase the volatility of water going through my box. I would like to see it in action to see if it would do what I'm looking for. The tar river is a slow moving deep river with no fast water to move the material down my box. So my idea was to cut down the side of the flair and bend the cut piece down or just add a piece under my flair with rivets to increase my water intake without putting the box completely under the water. Any thought or input would be greatly appreciated. I do like the design of the box in the video, but I think I would have a LONGER recovery area, for my piece of mind.

To speed up your flow a large flair that channels more water into a smaller space will create a venturi effect thus increasing the water speed.
Something like this.....
large flair.JPG

A wing dam made of rocks will also produce that effect. I have made wing dams as large as 10 feet across to successfully operate my bazooka type sluice in slow moving water. Of course it's easier to build the wing dam in shallow water.

wing dam.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG thanks for the input, and I understand all of that. My main problem is 3 foot deep water and NO rocks to build wings with. I guess I could use 1/4 "ply wood on stakes for wings, but that just means more to haul in and out. :BangHead:

heartlander27

Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok guys, here is the skinny on this last weekend. I built a new diverter that was about 4" longer and had no bends looked like this ^. I ran 3 buckets without the slick plate, capturing all the discharge material from the sides and the end of the sluice. I had zero gold loss. I added the slick plate and did the same thing and had gold loss out the side dischages...not good. And what I am after the most at this stage is for the rocks to clear and unfortantly they are not. I tried adjusting the angle of the sluice, the punch plate angle, faster water, slick plate added and different angle but it's still a no-go.

It was suggested that a polished punch plate would help but honestly I don't think it will. Maybe smaller holes in the plate would help but I don't really want to drop below the 1/4" size I'm at.

So let me ask this question, is it such a big issue to reach down and clear the rocks off every few scoops? It's still faster then having to classify while shoveling into a bucket, the only real issue I see is after all day bending over my back was aching, but then again I'm 42yrs old and have billions of miles on my bones :)

I will add the video and some pics tomorrow

Yep, the slick plate might not have been long enough to let the pile break down , that along with a small screen area. One thing i've found is that you need to up your water speed if you have punch plate classifier without a slick plate. It takes a a lot more flow to push a rock over a screen area then a slick plate. More flow isnt always good or easily available.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG thanks for the input, and I understand all of that. My main problem is 3 foot deep water and NO rocks to build wings with. I guess I could use 1/4 "ply wood on stakes for wings, but that just means more to haul in and out. :BangHead:
047888378227sm.jpg

2185.jpg

Fold the sun shade in 1/2 lengthwise and sew the mule tape to the backside along the top and bottom.

Run the top mule tape out to trees along shore and the bottom mule tape run further upstream.

Rebar spikes/stakes if no trees.

It'll be like a fishing net:

fishing-net-bw-thumb15929124.jpg

Only not letting as much water run though.

Khrysos

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This looks exactly like the classifier the grumpy prospector put on his underflow sluice? Yes it is a great design.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread