Keene A52 i need some reviews

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Works great in the hands of someone well trained/experienced with it. For a newbie without a prospecting mentor I would suggest something more modern in design like the Le Trap, Angus Mackirk (I have one and love it) or step up to a fluid bed like the bazooka gold trap. All of these options are faster to clean out and easier to setup...lighter weight too!

Mine it and recycle it!

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
I went with the jobe 32inch sluice. I like the clamps that hold the riffles in place. No hardware to lose.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the A52 Keene and like it. My main reason for buying it is I could buy the conversion kit to make it a highbanker/power sluice without having to buy an other piece of equipment. Everyone has their idea of what is best or will work for them. This works for me.

B H Prospector

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hay reed

nice to see you on here ive been injoying you youtube vid's for quite some time lot's of people on here need your advise.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The A52 is a ROBUST sluice that holds its own with any other. Heavy duty aluminum, or aluminium on the other side of the pond, and well built. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will say, though, some of the new stuff made of plastics warrant at least a look. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldGuy,
I was a real novice when I purchased my A52, still am, had it setup all wrong and it still captured gold for me but, it still works a lot better when it is properly setup!! Once it's been used for several hours and you decide to check see what's in it you must pick it up and then things can get interesting. It is long, awkward, heavy with water and cons and of course you are out in a river in amongst rocks and you do not want to spill everything back into the river. I found that by using the cross piece that comes on the sluice at the exit end and putting another in the area of the flare the entire rig is much more manageable to pick up.

Most people use a typical 5 gallon bucket for cleanouts but the A52 will not go all the way to the bottom of the bucket. After several uses of the bucket you may find that it will even crack, mine did. Instead buy a rectangular bucket, the blue recycle bucket at home depot, as it allows the sluice to go all the way to the bottom and no binding so no cracking. Also, have the bucket nearly full of water before using it as the entire thing will fall over if there is not enough water weight in the bucket.

The A52 is very sturdy and heavy, it is relatively easy to convert it to a highbanker, (casluicebox.com highbanker parts) but as others have stated the McKirk and other drop riffle type plastic sluices all work, each has its own setup needs, and they are worth considering.

Good Success with whatever you purchase..........63bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that second crossmember, Herb. I will use that idea. Tnx. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the upper crossbar, the blue bucket with the A52 in it and the stock crossbar is in the bucket. This was in 2010 and I had a lot of fun, a great adventure, worked very hard and found gold...........63bkpkr
185_8517.JPG 183_8341.JPG

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great video! Answered a lot of questions I had about the A52...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ya there is no way that it looses 50% i have found micro gold with mine when i had it and it was what i started with i didnt have a buddy or even know anybody that had run a sluice before but what i did have was the kind words and wisdom of the guys on this forum and on youtube. keep at it and try a learn somthing new every time you go out and get back and you will do just fine with it good sluice.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread