Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Keene or Proline? Looking to buy a 2.5 or 3" Highbanker Dredger combo

Hello Ang,
I am pleased to see that an attractive woman loves the outdoors so much and that she is more than strong enough, both physically and mentally,
to withstand the rigors of the back country and worse yet Alaska back country. I feel I've nothing to add to your mining abilities or mining equipment comments but I would like to ask about your handgun. Since you already have a .44 Mag that is a good start. On a trip through the west I stopped off at Freedom Firearms in Freedom Wyoming to look at their weapons. They had photographs of a lovely woman on safari in Africa where she used a .454 Casull for Big Game hunting. The pictures nor the fine appearance of their revolvers meant nothing to me till I turned around to leave the store and noticed two steel plates leaning against the wall next to the door I'd come in. On plate was 1/4" thick, had a grey smudge on it labeled .44 Mag and then there were 5 holes through it labeled .454. The second plate was 3/8" thick with one huge dent and 4 massive holes through it all from the .454.

Some years later when Ruger came out with that caliber in the Super Redhawk but with 6 rounds and with a swing out cylinder I picked one up at a 'good price'. Then I sent it in to Mag Na Port to have the barrel cut down to ~ 5 1/4" and the 4 ports cut into the barrel next to the reattached front sight. They did a superb job and the bobbed barrel is much easier to carry in a shoulder holster, the weapon is supremely accurate at any distance and 300 grain slugs get down range quickly! The kick from this modified unit is still substantial but manageable with one hand, the report is enough on its own to scare a bear off and I've no fear that if I shot a bear in the head that the bullet would come out the other side as I've heard of one incident like this taking place in Alaska, my brother lives in Eagle River with MY sister in law. When I'm out there alone, should I need taking care of, I know the .454 will take care of me but I knew my .44 Mag would not go through the steel plates as I'd tried it myself. The .454 is a real Bear Bone Breaker and as long as your hand strength is there, I suspect it is, you should be able to handle it. You might try one out at a shooting range where they can be rented or maybe you've already tried one out but went with or stayed with the .44. This is only a suggestion not an order and is given out kindly as anyone alone in the Alaska outback needs to have real protection from the critters there.

The best of luck to you and your fella with your lives together and with you outdoor adventrues.......63bkpkr

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

63bkpkr,

Yes, I have the .44 Alaskan Backpacker by Smith & Wesson and if I really thought a griz might bother me, a .454 Casull would be my first choice.

Jay, my fiance was out caribou hunting with his good friend Steve in fall 2008 and as they were preparing to set out on the hunt, Steve's .454 casull fell and fired a round into his groin, the bullet came out his back side buttocks...he was bleeding something seriously and his complexion was turning white. Jay pulled off his belt and setup and turnoquit, put Steve in the truck and drove as fast as possible to the nearest village (Central AK) which was about 35 miles on a gravel road. There's not much there, only a gas station and small diner but they had a phone and a grass landing strip, long story short, Jay was able to call in a plane to take Steve to Fairbanks. They put Steve on one of the dinner tables and tried to calm him for 45 min until the plane arrived. Jay feared he'd loose his good friend. Steve made it and lived and it was a miracle that the bullet did not hit any major arteries but came very close. He was out of work for 6 months while he recovered. Docs saved his leg and only walks with a slight limp.

He still goes hunting and hasn't let that incident hold him back. Matter of fact, he just shot his winter Caribou last Friday and Jay helped him butcher it. So, yes, the .454 is a mean load! Jay was presented with an Air Force Achievement medal for his life saving actions...but I'm sure any of us would have done the same thing!

I don't think I'll run into any grizzlies where I'm working the dredge but you never know. We see more moose than anything up that way.
Angie

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OHHH Angie,
Whew that story made me cringe! I am so glad Steve made it And still goes out!! The 454 is a very powerful weapon and indeed Steve was being watched over during that incident. What brand of weapon is his 454? My solid slugs are 300grain units as I've been approached by some very large black bears, I'd estimate at or near the 400 pound range. Your 44 model must be a joy to carry as the barrel is somewhat short. My first 44 had a 7 5/8" barrel (a Ruger Super Blackhawk ser # 3182, purchased in ~ 1962), my second 44 was a Redhawk with about a 5" barrel though the ported 5 1/4" on the 454 is till a bit long for backpacking it is long enough to be very accurate even on Distance shots. Under adrenaline conditions I fire it and never notice it but for target practice I must wear a leather glove, I'm just a tender little boy after all. That ATV of yours looks like a real beast, what size is the engine? You've some great gear and live in a great state to use it in!

Have fun up there and out "in it".........63bkpkr

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro

funny coming across this thread Ang, I just went through the same choices and picked up the Proline 2 1/2 combo today. Steve at AMDS has two more in stock if you still want one. Nice lightweight unit. Steve also reccomended making the hopper adjustable

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread