Keeping or selling your gold

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was or well am watching gold fever. I love gold rush but i like how on gold fever he teaches alot about mining.
Someone on the esp said they keep the gold they find.
Im couris how many of u keep your gold vs selling it

I wonna make money. I will keep the first vile of gold i find and first big nugget but ill sell the rest of it

What about the rest of you

Upvote 0

bec9112001

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
each time I get an ounce of gold below 30 mesh I sell, but the larger pieces I keep but I just love looking at gold in general

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
That's something that depends on several factors in my mind. Smaller gold I'd sell off but only if the prices are up ad a good level. Nuggets I'd also sell but not at spot prices. You can get more for them from a jeweler that makes nugget jewelry. Depending on the size and quality you can get up to 3X the current spot price.

If you do decide to sell, keep an eye on the spot prices. I've noticed that at about 11:30 or so (New york time) the prices seem to hit the high point or the day. So if you're selling for spot, that's the time to do it. Remember that you will NEVER get full spot price for raw gold! I won't sell for less than 80% of spot price. When and where you sell your gold can make a LOT of difference in what you end up getting for it. Do your research and check with some local buyers before you sell to make sure you're getting the best deal you can.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Local jewelers will often pay more than those ripoff we-buy-gold places. Prospecting shops also buy but also at some discount. To make the most money, mix yourfine gold with some concentrates and sell paydirt at about 2x the gold value! Selling the fines on eBay works too or so I'm told anyway.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am just now getting to the point to have to make this decision. I have no desire to start a gold "collection". I will sell it all as soon as I have enough not to get laughed at. Until recently my kids have made more off aluminum cans around the house than I have made on gold. But times are changing, the jar is showing more every weekend.

bec9112001

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some quick calculations , for aluminum cans to equal the cost in recycling to 1 g of 22k gold which is 36.54
assuming you can get 51 cents per pound, there's about 34 cans per pound, you need about 2,436 cans
that's a lot of cans for the weight of 1 gram of gold

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was or well am watching gold fever. I love gold rush but i like how on gold fever he teaches alot about mining.
Someone on the esp said they keep the gold they find.
Im couris how many of u keep your gold vs selling it

I wonna make money. I will keep the first vile of gold i find and first big nugget but ill sell the rest of it

What about the rest of you

Gold and Silver are spot priced daily on many sites on the internet.Gold and silver buyers buy and sell on those numbers.
Gold and Silver went crazy high here while back,but has dropped drastically.So two things to look at.One is sell high..the other is
to think about holding it.If the Economic world goes bust as it seems it just may do someday,Gold and Silver will be the barter kings.
Of course if you're like me,I have found some gold and silver.I keep it for my own enjoyment..I do however have bars of silver that I invested in and am saving for a rainy day..I guess that day hasn't come yet.I may just pass it on...:.)..

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom coined it best for me.
Keep it if you can, if the apocalypse comes at least you can melt it down for bullets.

<3

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
It is only worth something if you sell. Otherwise it is not. If you need the money, then sell. You can always find more later.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My mom coined it best for me.
Keep it if you can, if the apocalypse comes at least you can melt it down for bullets.

<3
That is downright awesome!

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started pannin last year I never thought I'd have enough to actually sell !
"think" I have roughly 6-8 grams built up. May not be Fort Knox, but i'm impressed.

My goal has been to get an oz in the jar, then decide. Always thought at that point I should sell & re-invest in my "operation". Get a hi-banker, find a claim, etc. Or, make a 1/400th scale gold bar ? That'd be cool......

I can't imagine sellin tho, So Much work has gone into it.. but, guess as armchair said, I can always find more.... and I plan on doing so....Lot's and Lot's of big pieces.....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, about twice as well ;-)
...it's a density thing

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And, to prove that I am not trying to take this thread off the tracks... I don't plan on selling my first ounce. I def like the idea of making a little bar out of it. Anyone have a pic of a one ounce bar? That has to be, well,,,cute.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
those things cant be legal!

Not where you live, I am sure. Move out to AZ, I think you can use the carpool lane here if you have a tank.Well, I guess who is gonna stop you from doing that in any state!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread