Kentucky celt - opinions

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
This celt was found in a plowed field along the Ohio River in Mason Co., KY. I have never seen another like it because the bit is intentionally blunted and the both faces are highly polished and show no sign of use or ever being hafted. Specks of red ocher are evident near the poll under 10x magnification. Is it real? ??? 5295_100472506632741_2905656_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Here is the in-situ. It was this bluish color when found then turned darker. 5295_100472503299408_1548328_n.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on...blue then turned black? Not unless you added oil to it and it ruined the stone.

OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Wow, beautiful. Killer artifact! :icon_thumright:

Thanks, zero agricultural implement strikes and a bit that is purposefully blunted to the point of being polished raise suspicion to those who have never held it, even the finder. It's absolutely perfect. And, it changed color.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did hear if you soak them in H2o they will change colors sometimes. I guess it depends on your tap water due to the chlorine in your water. I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Although I am waiting for something. LOL

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is it was just never finished and not blunted on purpose. It more than likely was in the process of being polished and they just got around to putting the blade on it.

As far it changing colors I am going to post some pics of a Chisel I found last year that was blue whan I found it and after rubbing just my skin oils on it, which I do to all of my hardstone finds because I'm sure that is what they did, it too turned a very deep black color.

Attachments

• Chisel Pics (10).jpg
    Chisel Pics (10).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Chisel Pics (9).jpg
    Chisel Pics (9).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Chisel Pics (2).jpg
    Chisel Pics (2).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Chisel Pics (5).jpg
    Chisel Pics (5).jpg
    180 KB · Views: 79

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The Grim Reaper said:
My guess is it was just never finished and not blunted on purpose. It more than likely was in the process of being polished and they just got around to putting the blade on it.

As far it changing colors I am going to post some pics of a Chisel I found last year that was blue whan I found it and after rubbing just my skin oils on it, which I do to all of my hardstone finds because I'm sure that is what they did, it too turned a very deep black color.

So you just rub it until it turns black, and it stays that color? Doesn't dry out again? Another question (I know it gets frustrating being you. My questions are complements. You da man!) is their any way mound builder's piece was blunted because it was used as a spade or hoe, rather than a chopping tool?? Thanks Reap!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rubbing your skins oil on a hardstone pieces will bring out it's true colors. I do it to all of my finds, even the slate pieces I have. That piece is still a very nice dark black color and I haven't done anything to it since I first rubbed it down.

As far as his Celt, I still say it just wasn't ever finished. I have one I found a long time ago that is also blunt on the end, but you can see on one corner where they had just started to to sharpen it to put the bit on it.

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grim Reaper said:
Rubbing your skins oil on a hardstone pieces will bring out it's true colors. I do it to all of my finds, even the slate pieces I have. That piece is still a very nice dark black color and I haven't done anything to it since I first rubbed it down.

As far as his Celt, I still say it just wasn't ever finished. I have one I found a long time ago that is also blunt on the end, but you can see on one corner where they had just started to to sharpen it to put the bit on it.

I do the exact same thing...my smaller points with really nice pressure flaking. just rub my thumb over and over and it highlights it really brings out the colors and definition

Johnathan Griswold

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Good to see old Moundbuilder posting around. I heard a rumor that he was alive, but now it is confirmed.
I remember seeing that celt shortly after it was found. At the time, my thought was that it was some kind of offering and never finished.
If I saw it today, I am guessing that I would think it was lost just before a resharpening/rework. Think about how you would correct a bit that took a ding or had a chunk missing. To accomplish this task, you first have to blunt them off or the undamaged areas will flake off when resharpened. If you think about the physical structure of stone, there is only so thin you can grind it before it chips off. So you flatten the whole bit pas the point of the damage, and then remake the entire bit.
Either that or Moundbuilder made it himself in his world renown home artifact laboratory, and then altered the molecular structure to change the color.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The Grim Reaper said:

Thank you Reap. I see what you are talking about the start of the bit. It just looks like the whole polishing process would have been to time consuming to just Toss. It's still a really nice find. It would excite me any how. Thanks again!!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I washed it with water and it turned that color the next day. Honestly.

A lot of the artifacts that I have found changed colors after bringing them home. I found an intact banner stone in the river, it was orange when I found it in the water and turned brown in a few days of drying out. (No rubbing or adding anything) The pipe, I use as my avatar was tan - turned flat black after a week or so. Some artifacts change color after leaving the soil. Your Celt is a killer!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the artifacts that I have found changed colors after bringing them home. I found an intact banner stone in the river, it was orange when I found it in the water and turned brown in a few days of drying out. (No rubbing or adding anything) The pipe, I use as my avatar was tan - turned flat black after a week or so. Some artifacts change color after leaving the soil. Your Celt is a killer!

I remember back when you found it in that creek. I would like to see it again in your own thread if you would post it and tell your story again. I have never seen another one like it. Thanks, rock

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure a lot of new members would love seeing that killer platform pipe.

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other

I like it way better without the modern alterations.

OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Good to see old Moundbuilder posting around. I heard a rumor that he was alive, but now it is confirmed.
I remember seeing that celt shortly after it was found. At the time, my thought was that it was some kind of offering and never finished.
If I saw it today, I am guessing that I would think it was lost just before a resharpening/rework. Think about how you would correct a bit that took a ding or had a chunk missing. To accomplish this task, you first have to blunt them off or the undamaged areas will flake off when resharpened. If you think about the physical structure of stone, there is only so thin you can grind it before it chips off. So you flatten the whole bit pas the point of the damage, and then remake the entire bit.
Either that or Moundbuilder made it himself in his world renown home artifact laboratory, and then altered the molecular structure to change the color.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Jon, alive and well! I like the theory about how a damaged bit would be repaired and that would definitely explain the overall polish. You need to hold it again sometime soon. I've made some strides in the old artifact lab but it's been interfering with my golf game as of late. When it gets too cold to play, I plan to whip up some rocks that will paper for sure, lol. Message me if you're interested in a genUine Carter Cave Cumberland. I have my eye on a new set of Mizuno forged irons and need to liquidate. You know the one, I found it with a cache of platform pipes... well, you know me. :) Cheers!

OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
I like it way better without the modern alterations.

I know, I figured steel wool wouldn't turn it dark. I can probably make it real again if I use 220-grit. I know not to sand in a circular motion because that will send up some red flags. :lurk:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread