rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw quite a few of these at the show so I decided to get one. It is made from flint and was found in Tn by the seller. He had a bunch of hoes and Celts, Game Balls, Discoils and points. I did however show him my large white ball and he said Game Ball on it. But here it is and I am open to all thoughts cause I am not sure. Thanks, rock 100_2158.JPG 100_2159.JPG 100_2161.JPG 100_2160.JPG This is 5 inches Long and 3 inches wide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has that flat spot on the end and I thought maybe a Chisel for wood working. But I have never found a Chisel before and dont know what they look like.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
now why wouldn't that be an adz blade?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hoe/spade. The wear on the end is consistent with dragging it through the soil.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have always called them spades. Never found one that sweet. Nice piece Rock! Unc, why it couldn't be an adze? I think the whole bit on an adze would be curved or bowed rather than one small part of the bit. Good question. That was my guess.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments on it. I was just looking at it again and the side view of it. It seems to be flat one one side and kinda bowed on the other if it was laying on a flat surface. I didnt notice it before or I would of took a pic of it. They had quite a few of them and this was the only one in flint. The rest were made out of Coastal Chert kinda tan in color.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
Thanks for the comments on it. I was just looking at it again and the side view of it. It seems to be flat one one side and kinda bowed on the other if it was laying on a flat surface. I didnt notice it before or I would of took a pic of it. They had quite a few of them and this was the only one in flint. The rest were made out of Coastal Chert kinda tan in color.

It is a beautiful piece. I have always loved spades, hoes, and axe heads more than any other artifacts.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was funny cause every time I saw a point I was interested in they all said...well that looks like a Pickwick to me. I didnt buy 1 Pickwick and I bout about 6 points. I did buy some nice ones just not Pickwick. I guess that is a common point type in Tn. And that is why I had to ask on this.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any polish on the blade end so I doubt it was used as a Spade or a Hoe. It may have been intended to be used as one, but I don't think it ever was. Also, the spot at the back is from damage to the piece.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree on the damaged end theory. Every single one I saw no matter what material it was had the same flat end and a bit on the other. I will upload a pic on the side view so everyone can see how it curves. Just 1 min

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_2162.JPG 100_2163.JPG 100_2164.JPG Ok here are pics from outside so you can see it better. I believe the flat spot is the striking platform and this is from one huge removed piece and then worked from that stage to a tool. I cant find any information on this type of tool. Thank you for all comments.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say its a hoe. Not every material shows Polish well and not every hoe was used enough to be polished. Here is a hoe from Tennessee.

ForumRunner_20121015_184405.png

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we can call it a snapped base hoe then I guess. Thanks GB for that pic. I have never said this before so here it goes, you know your stuff! You might want to frame that lol. I wonder why they made them with the flat spot? I was thinking a wood tool cause they could of put some hide on the flat spot then hit it with a hammer stone to get a wedge off for a canoe. All the other hoes in that bunch had notches on them almost like ax heads.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is the possiblity like Reaper said..that it was never used yet. Its a nice biface tool regardless. It will look nice in a frame.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find scrapers here in Florida that have the same "snap base" these aren't broken.

ForumRunner_20121015_191108.png

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some other Artifacts that I dont know what they are also. Some are very rustic quartz pieces. Most wouldnt even pick them up. I saw 2 guys at the show that had some of the same type of quartz artifacts as I do. I thought that was cool we had the same stuff but they also had some points which I havent found yet. Looks to be the round base MM period.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I think the flat spot is just an area on the tool that never got used. It was hafted above that spot, and too for from the bit to get wear from work. It was just an area that did not require as much if any attention, if that makes any sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread