Kentucky CW Treasure

mike78

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2008
Kentucky CW Treasure

I read this story a long time ago i dont remember where i read it. i did several google searches for it but was unable to find the story. anyway from what i recall the story was that a Union Army clerk of some sort was headed somewhere with about $2,000 in silver (i know it said why and where he was going but i dont remember) at some point he was ambushed by a small party of CSA soldier he fled and they gave chase. somewhere in the area of where the flood gates are now located in Pineville,KY the rebels began to gain on his so he threw the silver in the river somewhere in that area to lighten his load I.E. speed up..and prevent the silver (i believe it may have been a payroll???) from falling into enemy hands if he were caught. the story i read had more detail as i remember such as dates names ect. but being so long ago i forget..i read this long before i got into Metal detecting and treasure hunting as i like history...probally why i got into the hobby i guess huh?..has anyone heard this story? any truth behind it or is it all BS??..just curious, I'm still to inexperianced to attempt to try to find it. if its even there.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Re: Kentucky CW Treasure

I don't remember the story but it has the 'ring of truth'. Maybe someone has
created an index of treasure tales from the many publications that existed over
the last 40 years. The story is plausible, not outrageous like most of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread