how do you find a cache with md

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Welcome to T-Net.
I hope you find a lot and share some of it with us.

In answer to your question...
As deep as you can get it to go
Then pray it's deep enough.

The fruit jar caches I have dug are 15 to 26 inches.

Spanish caches can be as deep as 30 feet for the larger ones.
large KGC caches use a standard rod...16 feet 8 inches (i think)

This is what I hear anyway.

Thom

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
Lots of ways to find a cache. can find them hidden in walls in older homes. I have found one inside a ducting system where they pulled up a floor vent to hide it. can find them in lofts of old barns. fireplaces in old houses. outhouses were a favorite of the old timers they could count their money and do their buisness lol. some have been found in hollowed spots in trees. dont always just look at the ground. the burried ones are most likely the obvious but most didnt spend enough time to dig to deep if they were going to be getting it all the time adding more to it. be really careful but if you find a older home that abandoned. and its ok to hunt it check the attics. i find more stuff left by people who just dont think of looking there when they moved. men hid the most in the past in caches so get familiar with the surroundings. think about where they would of been the most outdoors. post holes under the logs of old fences were a easy spot to just pull up the post drop in the cache and slide the pole back in. Spots like those its nice to have a pinpointer.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cache hunting= 90% research + 10% searching

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've done your research & have a cache narrowed down. You can try sitting down and just taking a look around. Think where you'd hide something if you were the person. Can you get to it when needed. Can you see where it is from the house. Are there animal pens or corrals near. Animals make great burglar alarms. Like CWnut said 90% research but 8% field observations 2% swinging.

Sounds like you're a new detector user. One of the best things you can have is familiarity with your machine. Before heading out, try making a test bed. Bury some cans, large fishing sinkers or pieces of lead at different depths in your back yard to practice on. Try locating your wiring, boxes & pipes in the walls of your house for practice. This should give you a little experience as to what your machines capabilities are and what it's telling you. Ask questions here on TNet. There are a lot of good people with a vast wealth of info who are willing to share! Hope this helps you. Oh yeah, let us know how you do!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice.

Listen to your detector and dig it all until you learn how to listen to it - maybe 10 years LOL!

I'm still learning after maybe 30 years. Keep reading posts here and ask advice a lot. Old timers may look a little funny, but the ones that are willing to talk straight to you are great sources of advice.

Find one that takes an interest in you - he's living through you and therefore has an interest in your success.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at detecting like it's Christmas! You never are sure if you're getting a pair of socks or a new bike! But either way you get a really valuable gift KNOWLEDGE.

Most of my experience seems to be, real good info comes from the guys who look strange or a little off. Guess noone takes the time to talk to them. ;D Just wish I could remember more of the knowledge passed on to me when I was a kid. ;D

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
If looking in the area around the house ...50 yards radius.
This is easy access from the house.
Find where the windows used to be (especially Kitchen and bedroom)
Use a direct line of sight from any window that was frequently watched from.

Check the corners of cellar holes as well as the floors of chicken coops and corners of the barn.
Check along old garden paths and fence lines, Many people in rural areas had "fence banks"

Next to irrigation head gates,(folks watched their water like a hawk, why not their cash as well)
under the porch, especially if it was a large stone.

Check the well, and around it.
look under any flagstone type walk or patio.

in the house don't forget to look inside any hollow interior doors
check the fireplace for any loose stones or bricks
Watch for loose floorboards secret compartments in staircases

Just keep an open mind and think about where you would hide your loot if you didn't want it in a bank.
You'll do just fine

Always check the old outhouse or privy hole.

Thom

K

Kentucky Kache

Some of those old timers really come to life when you start asking them about the past. You're doing them a favor AND gaining valuable information. That's a great place to start.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, if the old house has any roll up type window shades, pull them all the way down, past their normal operating range. Some old timers have taped paper very close to the original wooden roller, then rolled back up to normal extended length, so when shade is pulled down to normal, no one would think of looking for paper where it is not normally pulled down past its regular travel....... Not GE

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1: Research, to find a cache you have to go where there was someone in the past that had enough to hide(wealth), location, analyze the terrain, think where YOU would hide something, check old records regarding the area of interest ...list goes on

2: You mentioned a DFX, well you need to practice a whole lot with buried items at different depths and settings on your machine. You are learning a new language thus learning to understand what your detector is trying to tell you.

I have a program with slow sweep speed, pre amp of 4, low discriminator settings. I run the DFX on MIXED mode that way I dont miss deeper targets. The MOST important way to tell if it may be a cache is by sizing the object. This is performed by measuring the signal intensity with the trigger pulled in (all metal or pinpoint). You approach the target and mark where you get the best reading ( smaller number or less depth) then mark where the signal starts dropping. Repeat same procedure in another direction and you have a pretty good estimate of the size and shape.

Remember that sound lenght does NOT mean anything in relation to size of object.

The discriminator only helps if the object is shallow and even then may be inaccurate as the container holding the cache may be of any material.

Almost forgot, a bigger loop will help substantially...I am using an 18" DD coil that makes a huge difference for larger than coin targets.

If you are not used to the machine and programs, then Relic mode will help you for now.

Gilbert

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot to mention .... run your DFX on 3Khz, it goes deeper (tested multiple times on deep larger targets of different materials)

Gilbert

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Amona said:
Old Dog

I hope you find a lot and share some of it with us

You're funny!! :D :D would you share? If you find some cache,..what about Uncle Sam?

Amona

Sure I would,
I have before and will again.
Here is one of mine.

Attachments

• indexCA7H9YV0.jpg
    indexCA7H9YV0.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 789
  • indexCAXLC4R2.jpg
    indexCAXLC4R2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 797
  • indexCA7H9YV0.jpg
    indexCA7H9YV0.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 796
  • indexCAXLC4R2.jpg
    indexCAXLC4R2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 802

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Amona,

This is one of many I have shared.

Am I still funny?

Yeah because is the way that you told it :D :D :D Apparently there where you live there is many place with caches to be found!!!

Amona

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As already pointed out by several folks here; first you find a cache; then you locate it. What the heck does that mean? Well, you find a cache by coming across a lead; research the lead; prove the lead; follow the lead; recover the target of the lead. 95% research; 5% field work. Visually speaking: :icon_study: :icon_scratch: :coffee2: ;D

Your first trips into an area will be without any detector. You'll need only your notes, clear eyes, and a good camera.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread