Kentucky Find.....Help ID Please

bocephus99

Jun 18, 2010
A friend of mine found this nice piece sticking out of the side of a creek bank by a spring. Not sure if it is a plumb bob or used for something else. Thought maybe a net weight but it does not seem crude enough for that. It is flat on the bottom with a groove on three sides. It also has small markings along each side on the top. Any help would be appreciated! :help:

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 469
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word... man-oh-man! Wow! (oops)

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say net weight. But the best one I have seen yet.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
would agree with every one that have already responded but they are not sawing enough, but i can not think of anythingthat would be enough, so, what do i do!!! i think it is a atlatie weight made for a flat throwing stick insted of a round one!! flat bottom to set on stick, grooved on other ]3] sides for rawhide to tie in grove around stick to hold it on..other marks on sides maybe tally marks counting kills! Terry

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Nice banded slate grooved bar weight!!!!!!! They are tie-on atl-atl weights.
Tell your buddy to look me up if he wants to part with it.
Here is a similar one in my collection.
Jon.

Attachments

• barweight1.jpg
    barweight1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 415

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
bocephus99 said:
A friend of mine found this nice piece sticking out of the side of a creek bank by a spring. Not sure if it is a plumb bob or used for something else. Thought maybe a net weight but it does not seem crude enough for that. It is flat on the bottom with a groove on three sides. It also has small markings along each side on the top. Any help would be appreciated! :help:

Thanks in advance!

A tallied banded slate tie on atl-atl bar weight found in 2011 eroding from the side of a spring in beautiful Kentucky with no agricultural implement damage whatsoever is a Banner find for certain. It needs to be fondled and collect the oils of the hand of man to make those tally marks really shine. You can tell it is a recent find by the photos, so nice to see genuine things being posted again... Beautiful. :wink: Everyone should vote BANNER!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a Banner worthy artifact and it got my vote for being up there.

A Banded Slate, Tally Marked Bar Atl-Atl Weight is about as rare as it gets, especially one in such pristine condition. Just an awesome find. Just curious, is that a mouth or groove of some type cut into one end of it?

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful piece.
If you would have found it, I would vote banner.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
My gawd. It is tallied too. Wowzers. Banner find for sure.

Chuck

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Bocephus99! could you get some photos of the ends of the weight and post them here,your friend may have something even better than i though!! Terry

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
That is a great find. As was said, you can tell that one just came out of the ground. I once had the good fortune to witness a museum quality piece of slate come out of the ground and it had that white chalky look to it like yours, so chalky it was hard to even tell it was slate. Because of its rarity I also vote banner piece. Great job!

OP
OP
B

bocephus99

Jun 18, 2010
tmodel said:
Bocephus99! could you get some photos of the ends of the weight and post them here,your friend may have something even better than i though!! Terry

Thanks for all the nice comments. I was sure to pass them on to my friend. I knew it was a special piece and I knew I could get some expert help on tnet! :icon_thumright:

Terry, I'll try to post some more photos of the ends but it will probably be next week before I have a chance to snap some more pics...tks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions