Kentucky wolf spider

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These guys (there were 2 on the house) kept me inside at night for a month. When I tried to shoo em away with a stick, they just bowed up and made themselves bigger to scare me more. They are everywhere at night, and I think they eat frogs, they are big enough to do it.

Attachments

• Photo0160 (480x640).jpg
    Photo0160 (480x640).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,985

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tncreeker.......they are some pretty intimidating looking guys. I have a beutiful 18 year old daughter that pretty well owns her dad and hates spiders. I could care less, but falls under a Dad's duty to keep the world safe. I am in TN as well, and as matter of fact my Mom graduated from High School at Bulls Gap. I have found that Bengal brand insecticide not only kills them fast but the spray powder keeps them away. I can honestly say I think they are best left alone as the help keep the insects in check and are not poisoness but sure understand how they can give ya the creeps. The only place I have found that particular spray is at Feed and Seed type stores but it is awesome on ants and the like as well. Telling you ( or daughter ) that they won't bother you will not help I am sure but at least that particular spider doesn't build webs. I hate walking throught the webs myself. They stalk and pounce on their prey. Bet the last fact didn't help. Ha Ha. :laughing7:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
We have them up here in MO also. I do not like spiders!! they freak me out. but I know they eat other insects, so I try to leave them alone. our house had been empty for a yr when we bought it. so we had black widows, brown recluse, snakes (found snake skin in attic) & who knows what else living here. the first yr, we had a neighbor give us some wren chicks he discovered in his tool box, we were up at all hours trying to feed them. then I found a HUGE wood spider killing one of the babies & it had already killed another. I killed that spider, with no qualms. I do spray the house inside & out. but every once in a while I find a black widow. wolf spiders look so evil when they rear back to bite. nasty things!

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup-heebies and jeebies, but I leave them alone and take their picture if I can. As long as they aren't on me, all is ok. (Not including black widows or brown recluse, of course!)

If they don't make webs, even better.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out with the Ghost Town Gang in Pennsylvania and reached down to pick up an iron lid to an old wood stove. I felt something move in my hand. It was a huge wolf spider. Kayden just shrugged and said...oh, they're not poison. Yeah, right....it wasn't in his hand! The iron lid went flying when I saw what this thing was. With its legs spread out it was about as big as a small tea cup saucer. Won't make that mistake again!

Cheers
:occasion14:

OP
OP
tncreeker

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just so everyone knows,,I did not kill the spiders. Not because I didnt want to, but because my fear of them is so strong I`m afraid that when I try to kill em they are going to jump on me. I know what you mean TNGUNS,,I HATE walking through a web!! Wolf spiders are agressive and they are poisonus. They are realy gross when they have all their babys on their back,,yuck! Hey that reminds me,,you guys ever see the film of the frog that gives birth to its babies out of its back? Makes me gag every time I see it. Food for thought,,haha

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have kind of a funny story about big spiders. Last Sun a friend stopped by after an after noon of driving around in the desert. He had two large tarantulas in a bucket.These things are pretty good size, body about the size of a silver dollar.Anyway I gave him a fish tank I had in the shed to put them in. He calls me the next morning, and guess what, no they didn't have babies, both were gone!! lol I wish I had taken a pic of them. I talked to him today and he's still looking for them, who would have thought they could climb a glass wall, and his wife not to happy either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread