OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If my Angus Mackirk Expedition (very similar to the Le Trap) wasn't at my son's place, I would have brought it too. Grabbing it tomorrow so I'm ready for next time! Even so the Supermini works very, very well.

GPDave, I'd love to spend a day at Cache Creek with you. It's been too long :) So just let me know when!

I would love to do so. My first time there was about 1985 with my wife (one of the few times she went). Back then you could drive into lower Cache Creek from the Cemetery. Last time I went to lower Cache Crrek with C-17A, you could not drive and the walk up and down from the Cemetery to the Creek liked to kill me. (I have bad ankles and a knee from high school football). Now when I go, I go to the site in upper Cache Creek where you an park and walk in. All have decent gold, with the much more occasional picker than what you get in metro Denver.

Recently sick due to horrible cold I caught from my cadets. It has been nagging on for over a week now. That may be the number factor that causes me to finally retire--at any one time, I swear at least half the cadet wing is sick with something and they keep passing it around to each other and to faculty!!

I will have to see if I can find pictures of me high banking in lower Cache Creek back in the 80's and post them.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, pencil me in for next spring!!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out drywashing today in the gold field just north of Joshua Tree National Park. Tried two likely dry washes and came away with just a couple specks. It's tough being a visitor to such a huge area but we still had a fun day exploring :)

Beautiful desert!

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out drywashing today in the gold field just north of Joshua Tree National Park. Tried two likely dry washes and came away with just a couple specks. It's tough being a visitor to such a huge area but we still had a fun day exploring :)

Beautiful desert!

Looks like you are switching from cold Colorado creeks in winter to sunny, warmer prospecting spots! Sounds like a great idea - especially after cleaning out a deep hole in a south Denver creek with my bare arms up past elbows. Was only able to handle the cold water and bare arms for about 2 minutes, and then changed tactics for cleaning out hole. Enjoy your time in CA!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin ya ol snowbird. You're missing out on all the snow @ your place! Did ya get a TT for the pickup yet?
Yup!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480907562.771156.jpg
Btw the trailer you see is a 19' rental to figure out what we want to buy. Been a good learning experience:)

Last edited:

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will be interested in what you learn about trailers. We are looking to get a trailer next spring and have been researching 16' - 18' models. Looks like you are camping in style!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will be interested in what you learn about trailers. We are looking to get a trailer next spring and have been researching 16' - 18' models. Looks like you are camping in style!

I have a book about all the brands. This is key to figuring out the price/quality trade offs since there are sooo many brands. I will share :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, I just set up a Facebook group "Finding gold in Colorado" feel free to join of you are interested!

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Bazooka and the mini. Well, I ordered them. Hopefully they will arrive by spring........

Still a little envious of Kevin's setup for processing dry materials. Any recommendations on a package that will process the dry stuff?

Happy Holidays

Patrick

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got the Bazooka and the mini. Well, I ordered them. Hopefully they will arrive by spring........

Still a little envious of Kevin's setup for processing dry materials. Any recommendations on a package that will process the dry stuff?

Happy Holidays

Patrick

Well, you know I love my Whippet. Otherwise I'd suggest electric/manual puffers so you aren't hauling a gas engine and fuel around (I used to run a Keene 151 drywasher so I speak from experience).

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the setup you have. I prefer the smaller battery powered just for portability.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I liked the setup you have. I prefer the smaller battery powered just for portability.
I think Battery is the way to go as well. No messy gas to carry and spill. And with a solar charger you can extend your processing time. Plus so much quieter, the gas ones seem obnoxiously loud. I would like to add one to my arsenal this winter. I have narrowed it down to whippet or the Thompson. I like the weight of the whippet, but like the price of the Thompson ; )

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Battery is the way to go as well. No messy gas to carry and spill. And with a solar charger you can extend your processing time. Plus so much quieter, the gas ones seem obnoxiously loud. I would like to add one to my arsenal this winter. I have narrowed it down to whippet or the Thompson. I like the weight of the whippet, but like the price of the Thompson ; )

Yup, that's the trade off. Also the wait time to get one. I waited 3 months for my Whippet to get made. I hear the wait is longer now. High demand and unwavering commitment to quality no doubt.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, that's the trade off. Also the wait time to get one. I waited 3 months for my Whippet to get made. I hear the wait is longer now. High demand and unwavering commitment to quality no doubt.

WOW 3 months!!! I'll make sure I don't put it off until the last minute, if I go with tge whippet. Thanks a ton for the heads up.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out digging for a while today...never too cold right?!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482390263.302025.jpg
Lots of pre-holiday honey-dos so not sure when I'll get the concentrates processed but it sure was fun and good gold too :)

Gotta love metro Denver gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread