Gold Bug II
Angus Macgirk Alaskan Flare & Grub Stake
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene Highbanker/2.5" dredge with GH matting
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey quick question... according to the jeff.co website, prospecting is only allowed in the tiny section of clear creek and every other park it is off limits??? huh?!

Just seems insane for a city to ban the one activity that brought it to life and allowed it to grow... :BangHead:

Hopefully it's just a mistake though and just need to rewrite their rules section.
Jeff CO is west of Denver. Site is correct; prospecting is only allowed in the Clear Creek Canyon area of the Jeff Co Open Space.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not a mistake. There are many miles of open creek on Clear Creek. The canyon as Crusty mentions but also land owned by the City of Golden west of the Coors plant and the Arapahoe Bar property in Wheatridge just east of Coors.

Prospecting is banned on all other Jeff Co Open Space but that's ok since they control NO other gold bearing creeks!

Ralston Creek is also in Jeff Co and has gold but it's open since it's controlled by the city of Arvada.

As always you have to know which entity owns or regulates the ground you want to dig!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today in S metro Denver with Crusty. Went to an trusty old secret spot and did well.
Crusty with his new Sluice ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484869329.624746.jpg
Me with my old Sluice (sure was nice to be in a spot where we could run side by side with both of our Bazooka Prospectors!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484869488.690474.jpg
And proof we were together lol
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484869525.823902.jpg

Gold pics in a couple few days when I get home :)

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the dream mat?

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that the dream mat?
It is. I am very impressed with it! I have used it half a dozen times, and like the way it runs and holds finegold.

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And thanks for the invite Kevin! Was great to finally meet you and share some time in your secret spot. I am very impressed!

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very quick preview. Pretty happy with it, considering we probably only dug for 2 hours!!

IMG_20170119_185503.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got back to the hole I dug yesterday when Crusty and I got out. As you can see in the second pic, I extended it to the edge of the water where the clay wall is. I just had to come back to get that inside bend material :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484956146.822229.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484956178.824937.jpg

Last edited:

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the looks of that spot Kevin and very interesting sluice Mr.Crusty! It must be fun to watch it work

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, you go any deeper you are going to need scuba gear! Looking forward to seeing the gold...
Let me know the next time you are in town.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, you go any deeper you are going to need scuba gear! Looking forward to seeing the gold...
Let me know the next time you are in town.

I'll certainly reach out :)

Meanwhile here's the gold from the 1 hour extension of my hole to the bank. Some nice +30 gold :) with the 30-50 and -50 mesh separated.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485321762.955572.jpg

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotta love that!

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did ya need to classify? I think it'd make a great beach box mat, I'm still skeptical about anything bigger..

I actually did a "stress test" on it while we were there, feeding it unclassified. It did a great job of clearing larger material while still showing gold being retained. But in a quick pan of the tailings, there was gold. I think in a longer configuration, giving the gold more time to drop out, it could actually be used to process unclassified material. The larger (remember we're talking about Colorado gold, so "larger" is relative... talking 12-30 mesh) gold actually drops out quickly in the first set of "riffles" and can be seen holding there until it finally drops in to the next set of "cups" and hold there. Kevin took a video and I will share it elsewhere.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold from outings last week:
Wednesday, 3 hours with Shofs and Hunt4Gold, running the Sniper, 0.38g
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485358020.414011.jpg

Thursday, 2 hours, with Crusty running the Prospector, 0.255g
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485413280.494485.jpg

Friday, 1 hour, alone running the Prospector, 0.195g
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485358151.286883.jpg

As expected the inside bend on day 3 was richer than the almost inside bend material on day 2.

Total take for last week: 0.833 grams. A decent take for January in Denver I suppose even if both H4G and Shofs easily beat me!!

Last edited:

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start to the year that's a lot of gold! I need to get myself a green soap dish like that I like the contrast 8-)

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice size flakes Kevin. So I'm curious - Looking at your takes it appears to be a close one-to-one ratio of the number of -50 size gold to 30-50 size. As I look back some of my photos, I am beginning to see some similar results. Thoughts Kevin?

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin,

You continue to be an inspiration.

Thank you for that.

Patrick

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good start to the year that's a lot of gold! I need to get myself a green soap dish like that I like the contrast 8-)
I can't find those green ones anymore so I just bought a new blue one posted here with the gold from last Thursday:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485413159.720018.jpg
...they also help with final gold cleaning via ultra-gentle panning in the dish.

Nice size flakes Kevin. So I'm curious - Looking at your takes it appears to be a close one-to-one ratio of the number of -50 size gold to 30-50 size. As I look back some of my photos, I am beginning to see some similar results. Thoughts Kevin?
It varies by creek of course. In Straw Creek that close ratio is typical regardless of which sluice or pan I use. Of course the gold trends bigger on inside bends [emoji106]

Kevin,
You continue to be an inspiration.

Thank you for that.

Patrick

That's my goal :) Get out there!!
Learn (almost) all my secrets at www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh just sharing a pretty pic of -50 gold walking out of magnetic-free, well classified material via tapping.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485416083.748241.jpg
(From Thursday cons of course)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread