Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Finally got my cons cleaned up from a couple weeks ago. +30 on left, 30-50 mesh in middle, -50 on right (duh)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427628852.082727.jpg

0.27 grams...Probably a lot more than I'll find today but today is about friends more than gold :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Got out to Big Bend today and met up with GrizzlyGremlin....good times. Ran my Sniper for a little while, got frustrated with poor water flow and decided I was in the mood to do some sampling so I dug out my trusty Proline Professional pan and my prototype Banjo Pan and went sniffing around the lower half of the bar. Nobody goes down there as its a bit of a hike and there's nowhere to set up a sluice due to the river conditions. With GG the sampling showed better gold about 15' from the river vs. closer...interesting. Later I went down to the tail of the bar and sampled in the water just off shore. WOW WHAT GOLD! I had a dozen colors in the first shovelful! Nowhere to put a sluice and a quarter mile walk further from the parking lot so nobody ever goes down there. Ran out of light but I'll be back :)

Oh, I tried Mike Pung's Banjo Pan method: easy to do and I caught tiny gold with it. Concerned that method might lose some gold the way rocker boxes do (same side to side motion) but it sure is quick and easy to do. Hmm, this technique needs some scientific testing I think. Chances are Red will do that :) since he is the inventor and all.

Gold pics to follow. Probably tonight since my wife will be watching The Voice (not my show).

Last edited:

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, my wife is watching the voice right now while I'm recleaning the moss from my dredge!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
April Fools day gold: first makes it seem like the -50 at the top doesn't add up to much. Second with all the little stuff chased together highlights the relatively similar amount of gold in each size range. This is from Big Bend...mostly just sample panning. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428085584.066547.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428085597.765410.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

So I stopped at a good looking cobble bar in the Colorado River at a city park today. Did 3 sample pans and then ran my Sniper for just a few minutes. Pleasantly surprised at the decent gold :) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429930200.987492.jpg
Will have to go back there some time for a serious dig!

I should add that I checked the towns Parks & Rec dept website and the signage at the park...no rules against digging in the river :). I did see evidence of someone running a sluice there recently so I'm not the only one noticing that cobble bar.

Also, this was not entirely random...this area is downstream of the confluence with a known gold bearing waterway so it seemed a likely spot. Still from that area downstream there are a LOT of good looking cobble bars in the river :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, there is gold in that area but only in a couple spots. The Yampa itself isn't known for gold at all. Next time you're headed that way, PM me for tips on where to look...

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Got out to my honey hole for an hour of digging today and managed to run my Sniper toooo steep. It can be done. Net result, I lost about 1/2 the gold into my tailings. How did I know? By both the small amount of material in my cleanout pan and the exclusively large size of the gold. What did I do? Easy, I just reset the sluice and reran my tailings. A quick and productive process.

Here's a pic of that first cleanout with just larger gold:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430031791.461143.jpg
And the final result (0.35 grams):
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430063944.304827.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too steep? How did that happen? Just not enough water running so you made it steeper? Inquiring minds want to know....

Nice looking gold, though.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Dave. What happened is I built a dam in a new spot several weeks ago then came back last weekend to use it for the first time. In between times the creek filled in behind the dam with sand so the top end of my sluice was higher than I intended and indeed TOO high. When I reset the sluice I had to raise the lower end to get back in the high gold retention range. A very, very rare problem :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Ok time for a rod mill update!
You may recall that I built a tabletop rod mill, ran a couple test batches and then burned out the little motor on it with one of my experiments. I've yet to build a new one but here's why I will: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430782321.409586.jpg
Crushing in the mill did a great job of flattening the hidden gold... Cool right?

Here's the mill rods (not all rods!) and tumbler. Notice the drywall screws used to maximize tumbling. Worked amazingly well using the chassis of an inkjet printer. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430782513.628373.jpg

PS the material was all ready processed magnetic super cons with NO visible gold. I removed everything that was still magnetic before panning the post-milling material. The gold and black sand you see is almost all +30 mesh.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may recall that I built a tabletop rod mill, ran a couple test batches and then burned out the little motor on it with one of my experiments. I've yet to build a new one but here's why I will: View attachment 1157113
Crushing in the mill did a great job of flattening the hidden gold... Cool right?

Here's the mill rods (not all rods!) and tumbler. Notice the drywall screws used to maximize tumbling. Worked amazingly well using the chassis of an inkjet printer. View attachment 1157115

PS the material was all ready processed magnetic super cons with NO visible gold. I removed everything that was still magnetic before panning. The gold and black sand you see is almost all +30 mesh.

Wow, I have an old spike like that from the Denver, Rio Grand and Western RR. It looks like a bit of bicycle chain and some small iron rods. I can do that now!

I love the flattened gold picture! That is exactly what it is supposed to do. Have to get started on my rod mill!! Thanks for the update.

BTW, how long did you rotate the mill?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hmm, an hour or two I think. Not longer :)

The rods are from the printer chassis paper handling mechanism. The chain came out of the creek and is a bit bigger than bicycle, it's rusted solid. The mix of iron and screws was to ensure I got tumbling instead of just rolling. The spike is from Big Bend!

Looking forward to seeing your results Dave!!

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may recall that I built a tabletop rod mill, ran a couple test batches and then burned out the little motor on it with one of my experiments. I've yet to build a new one but here's why I will: View attachment 1157113

Here's the mill rods (not all rods!) and tumbler. Notice the drywall screws used to maximize tumbling. Worked amazingly well using the chassis of an inkjet printer. View attachment 1157115

PS the material was all ready processed magnetic super cons with NO visible gold. I removed everything that was still magnetic before panning. The gold and black sand you see is almost all +30 mesh.
What is this rod mill business? Sound interesting, what's it all about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread