Apr 18, 2009

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi:

Be sure you're no where near the park. Remember that all of those wrecks you mentioned are still under contract. Stay away from Indian Key. Hitting the water with a MD there will get you a one way ticket to trouble. Most of the Keys are now considered a preserve so I would recommend checking locally before even putting a detector in your boat.

If you want to get the exact locations for both on and offshore sites in the Keys. Pick up a copy of "Diving To The Flash of Gold" by Marty Melach (hope I spelled the last name right).

The Keys are in a constant state of change and what is legal one year may not be the next. There are many excellent spots that still deserve checking out. On Key Largo itself, there are a number of ballast trails going up onto the shore and over into the bay.

There are also a number of places that you can just wade off shore at low tide or even snorkel in a few feet of water without a boat and be on productive areas for artifacts and actual treasure.

Have a great trip!!!!

Deepsix

OP
OP
S

scoobah

Apr 18, 2009
Thanks, yeah, I have had comments back today that the El Infante is definitely under contract and anyone must ask permission from HRD before going near with a MD.

Do you know for sure about the San Jose? Its annoying there are still Keys Diving web sites suggesting you bring a detector on both wrecks, but then I guess everyone is on their own to get accurate legal info before diving - too bad its so complicated and difficult to find out about.

I intend to call the marine patrol to see what info they can give me... is that the best agency to get current info from? I guess they would be the ones on the sharp end of the sword so they must know what they enforce.

I would hate to just toss the idea because its confusing to determine whats legal, cuz it sounds like fun.

Thanks, I will look for that book. Any references for the ballast trails going ashore and over the key? I had not heard about that before...

Brad

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
About 2 years ago when we were looking to buy a dig boat we went to see Mr Molinar’s boat (the lease holder of the San Jose site) (not to be confused with Mo Molinar) At the time he said he was selling the boat because due to health problems he was not able to continue the salvage in the site and that he was going to turn over the lease to the Government ....But after that I don’t know what happened with the site......

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Marine Patrol or local Sheriff office would be my first stop if I was going to do it. Don't just scrap the plan, just be careful. Remember too that the book I told you about will give you many places to look that won't put you anywhere near leases.

Many years ago I was on two of the ballast trails. One we lost on the Mangroves. The other we picked up in the bay but never made it to the end. There is a site that is easily found off Marathon that is great for bringing home Cannonballs. Another is good for wading and turning up "Pillar Dollars". Both of these are in the book and I have been on them many times over the years.

There are also a number of spots that you can dive or snorkel (not in the book) that are from the old "Flagler Railroad". My favorite one is just offshore in about 6 feet of water. A local diver told me about it back in the late 70's. It's always good for a few tokens and tools (as well as bugs and once in awhile a legal size grouper). The keys are so full of sites that it could take years to visit them all.

Deepsix

scoobah said:
Thanks, yeah, I have had comments back today that the El Infante is definitely under contract and anyone must ask permission from HRD before going near with a MD.

Do you know for sure about the San Jose? Its annoying there are still Keys Diving web sites suggesting you bring a detector on both wrecks, but then I guess everyone is on their own to get accurate legal info before diving - too bad its so complicated and difficult to find out about.

I intend to call the marine patrol to see what info they can give me... is that the best agency to get current info from? I guess they would be the ones on the sharp end of the sword so they must know what they enforce.

I would hate to just toss the idea because its confusing to determine whats legal, cuz it sounds like fun.

Thanks, I will look for that book. Any references for the ballast trails going ashore and over the key? I had not heard about that before...

Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread