🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent about 7 hours in the field today and while the finds were hard to come by, I managed to squeeze a few more keepers out. The big white thing at the top is a big piece of melted lead.

IMG_20151122_150549460.jpg

IMG_20151122_150318752_HDR.jpg IMG_20151122_150608609.jpg

I dug another of these pewter toy colonial plates today. Until this afternoon, I guessed that these were bases to a candle holder or something. However there's no solder marks or anything that would suggest it was attached to something larger. I shared a picture of this plate from today with Bill D and he identified it as most likely a child's toy from the 18th c. A quick google search backed this up. Really cool.. I would have never guessed these were colonial toys, the equivalent to doll house dinnerware! I have a picture of all three pieces I have dug here at the bottom of this post. The other two have been pictured in previous posts from this year and I didn't really mention them since I didnt know what they were. Its GREAT to have an ID on these and its a pretty cool ID at that.

IMG_20151122_150623433.jpg IMG_20151122_150630869.jpg

Got a couple cool buttons. The brass button has a iron back. It appears to have XXX etched on the front of it. I'm going to guess that googling "XXX button" will not help me ID that. Haha

One of my flat buttons is a cuff button and has a eagle on the entire back of it. Pretty cool. I've dug a few flat buttons that have a small eagle on the top of the back, but never a small cuff one with a big eagle on it.

IMG_20151122_150705160_HDR.jpg IMG_20151122_145145217.jpg

It had been a slow day with a hand full of buttons. I was digging a target that was deep and scratchy and wouldn't be surprised if it was a button or a nail. Because it was such a bad signal and very deep, it pinpointed way off when I dug my plug. I was very surprised to pop this out of the bottom corner at 9"... I thought it was a button, but quickly noticed it was a KGII... then I flipped it over and saw that I trashed it with my digger. It doesn't happen often, but it always sucks when it does happen. This copper is worn smooth, but its at least identifiable.

IMG_20151122_150827646.jpg IMG_20151122_150841425.jpg

This is the 3rd pewter toy dinnerware piece I have dug in the same general area. They are hard to come by, as they are a low tone and very deep... so the one from today had a bit of an iron grunt until I got it to the surface.

IMG_20151122_151346392.jpg IMG_20151122_151847014_HDR.jpg IMG_20151122_151905202.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt! Love the colonial child's toy plates. Those are very interesting. Love the discussion on this thread too! That site sure has been good to you! :) Congrats and HH!

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
The toy plates are too cool, I doubt I would have guessed that's what they are. Unfortunately I've scratched some decent relics, so I know how you feel, but it happens. The KGII is still a neat find. I'm still looking for an early British copper.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great group of finds. Love the little toy plate.

Thanks Steve! I almost didn't do a post for this hunt. When I got the ID on the plate, I thought it was so cool, I had to post it.

Awesome hunt! Love the colonial child's toy plates. Those are very interesting. Love the discussion on this thread too! That site sure has been good to you! :) Congrats and HH!

Thanks a ton Isaac! It is a pretty good discussion... just a few guys, showing off their pewter tea set pieces. haha

The toy plates are too cool, I doubt I would have guessed that's what they are. Unfortunately I've scratched some decent relics, so I know how you feel, but it happens. The KGII is still a neat find. I'm still looking for an early British copper.

Thanks Jason! It happens to us all, we just hope it doesn't "happen" on those special finds. I flipped two CW plates from deep holes and somehow didn't touch them with the digger. Lucky.

This place gave me my 1st KG this year... and then they kept coming. IDable KGs from here this year have been 5 (2 KGI, 2 KGII, 1 KGIII).

I have an equal amount of what I am 90% sure are KGs from this place this year. Here are 4 of them in a stack with the one from yesterday in the middle.
Now... why couldn't I have nailed one of those toasted ones with my digger instead of one I could ID?! ha

IMG_20151123_133120.jpg

Good luck getting your early British Copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread