Killer Day for Silver Coins

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
This has been my best little stretch ever detecting. Since the 26th, I have scored 16 silver coins. Today, I hunted an old house property that I recently recieved permission for. I was having bad luck at first, b/c there were pieces of clipped copper all over the place from an old roof repair.
I noticed a few poles in the backyard that looked like laundry poles. As soon as I got close to them, I picked up a big nice noise. The target box was telling me half dollar, but it was jumping around a bit. I dug down and saw a silver quarter!! I stuck my probe in the hole and heard more sweet sounds. Quickly recovered the second quarter, which turned out to be a Standing Liberty. The probe told me there was another one on the side of the hole. Unfortunately, I scratched it when I dug the initial plug, but 3 silver quarters in a hole is a first. I find it very interesting that a 1951, 1956 and a Standing Liberty were in the same spill.

As I moved on I picked up a Rosie, and then the signals went dead for a while. The next good one was fairly deep and sounded like a wheat penny. I dug down and found the coin. I went to rub it so I could see if it was a wheat. Well, it said "one dime" and I knew it was a tarnished Barber. Turned out to be a pretty good one- 1898 O. The backside pic looks like I scratched it, but I didn't. The piece just didn't tarnish in a line across the back. Maybe it was next to a little root?

I really wanted my buddy Lostlake to join on this hunt, so I decided to leave. Told myself one last signal, and it came pretty quick. It was locked on the half dollar area in the target box, and I knew it was one. Dug a big plug, and it was in the dirt. The dings on the side were from its life in circulation. I didn't scratch it. 1943D, and only my 3rd silver half.
The total and great variety of this hunt, makes it a great one for my type of hunting. If the weather holds, I may get in one more at this property before the 1st.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 122908a.jpg
    122908a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 986
  • 122908b.jpg
    122908b.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 982
Upvote 0

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,
Beautiful stuff! I love to see walking liberties come walking out! Great silver!

Crackbadger

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I'd say a super day!! Congrats on all that nice silver!!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Your story title says it all, nice job!! That's my kind of hunt. If I sent you a scan or pic of a point I have, could you tell me a little about it? I'm putting together a display for the owner of the grove I've been hunting of item's found there. I wanted to show the property's history from prehistoric times to current. One point found, horse shoe and coins from 1890's and up. I'd like to put some info with the point.
Thanks, Steve
p.s. Have you or anyone else to your knowledge tried detecting the blocks of city owned homes in Covington? One of my privydigging buds had permission to privy dig them. I thought these 1840's and up homes would be sweet for detecting too.

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats for the silver coins.Well done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Nice! I can't imagine what it was like to find 3 silver coins in one hole!!!! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Since the 26th, I have scored 16 silver coins.

It's amazing how well we both have been doing for the year end. Just last week, I had a 28 silver week.

Nice going, Jon!! You're really putting a hurt to the turf. I've never dug 3 silver quarters out of one hole. What a rarity! :o

Keep it going! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for all the great replies!!!!! It is fun waking up to a bunch of replies. I need to do better replying to other peoples posts...
SE- If I really pushed it, I might be able to break 20 for the week. I haven't changed anything, just scored 2 really nice permissions. The signals have been easy and plentiful. The quarter spill was no deeper than 3". A Radio Shack detector would have found it. I hadn't even found 2 silver quarters in a hole before yesterday. I have scored multiple silvers in a hole, but never multiple quarters. That was sweet.
DaytonDigger- I PM'd you. I would be more than happy to identify your artifacts. I also think we have mutual friends, based upon what you said about Covington.
Plumloko- If you lived up to your name, you would be out in that snow finding treasure.
Everyone Else- Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT
pointdlr said:
Plumloko- If you lived up to your name, you would be out in that snow finding treasure.
Maybe if I had a 30" coil to get through the snow and a jackhammer to bust up the frozen ground!!
I may be loko, but Im not crazy!

FrankGooch

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2008
Nice finds..I had one day like that ....I found 3 large cents in one yard a few years back and I know how you felt when you found all those silvers that day..A natural high....Congrats and many more..The Gooch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread