kinda new to md need some info

jay741

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2009
first off im 18 and ive tried md in the past with low end dector never finding anything great. i have a bounty hunter now but i think i need to upgrade to find some real stuff the thing goes off. then when i go back over the spot it wont go off. i have a lot of woods and rock walls around and i feel i could find some good stuff. what would be a good dector on the cheaper side that would be the best for finding coins and i guess what ever else in the woods that is where i want to use it. coins are what im really after any help is appreaticted thanks

Upvote 0
Hi jay741,

Can I suggest you go to the web site kellyco.com and look at the Garrett Ace 150, they will give you an excellent price, usually a pouch and a digging tool and low prices on a pointer if that is something you want to try. The Ace 150 is a higher end detector but at a great low price and if the coins are in the ground and you are able to swing your coil over them you will recover them and that is what it is all about. I use a slightly more expensive unit made by Whites called the Classic5 id and I find coins on every outing plus a fair amount of gold and silver jewelery too.

If your detector sounds off on one sweep and not the other it might be because it was discriminated out. make sure it sounds off on a pull tab and then back off the knob a bit. Then you need to practice seeing how it responds on coins on the surface and learn it by practice.

Good Luck.

Ground balance (improper) and sensitivity (too much) will make your detector sound off erratically as well. If you haven't already, read and reread your manual carefully, and then read it over again and again to know the capabilities and limits of your detector. If it still won't find the goods, then try a switch.

All the best,

Lanny

Before you buy a detecter look at an Ace250 (Garret) Its a good little detecter for around 212.00 Then look at buying a garret pro pointer (pinpointer) Its a must to have! All yah gotta do is google Ace250.....Check out all the great reviews ...Thats what I did before I made a purchase & I am very very satisfied!

Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250, teknetics delta are all good stated machines. Fisher F2 would be my pick. Holler if i can help with questions or pricing. Thanks, Bart.

I use a Bounty Hunter as well and I find all kinds of stuff. As was said above, a lot of times I will get a hit and it won't repeat. That's because it's discriminated out and the machine just happened to pick it up and report it.

Try hunting with no discrimination and see the difference. You'll get a lot of targets (granted a lot of trash as well) and you'll see that your machine works fine.

Happy hunting and keep at it.

:icon_thumright:

I'm just past Noob and have found learning and thus scoring with Tesoro Detectors has been FUN & Profitable. :icon_pirat:

You really need to spend more time with your machine before ditching it for a new one. I've got a Tesoro Sidewinder that I'd only ever used for beach hunting. I've been using it for ground hunting the past few weeks and it is a nickel finding monster. Penny signals come in one of two sounds. The one gold ring I found was just barely giving me a reading. As I'm learning how it responds, I'm getting to know when a signal is a penny, and usually nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back