Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
kayden said:
What do you all do to prepare for your hobby that is coming to a stop ?
Well when i was not as old as i am now ......... I hunted all year.......... I would hunt the parking lots of bars in the morning................. Those drunks lost every thing....... And we have some really mean winters up here on lake Erie......... but this picture of the car is on the Niagara river in Niagara falls canada.......... The light house is on lake Erie here in Ohio.

Attachments

• inz74c.jpg
    inz74c.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 652
  • inz74c.jpg
    inz74c.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 652
  • tumblr_ldpc3dzplv1qz6f4bo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ldpc3dzplv1qz6f4bo1_500.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,192

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who says it stops??

Nothing that a blizard suit can't fix.

I detect year round... I even hit the beaches. Just dress for the weather and keep digging :icon_thumright:

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no such thing as a winter in Texas! well, where i am anyways, might get cold for a week or two, but it will be great weather for hunting!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
SeaninNH said:
Who says it stops??

Nothing that a blizard suit can't fix.

I detect year round... I even hit the beaches. Just dress for the weather and keep digging :icon_thumright:
You said what do we do to get ready for winter detecting............... Just like you said dress warmer................that's all.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
HuntNdig said:
no such thing as a winter in Texas! well, where i am anyways, might get cold for a week or two, but it will be great weather for hunting!
You get snow and ice in Texas... I drove through a snow strom in New Mexico and the pan handle of Texas a few years back

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
HuntNdig said:
You get snow and ice in Texas... I drove through a snow strom in New Mexico and the pan handle of Texas a few years back
yes, we will get a little snow and ice maybe for a day or two...it doesn't last long at all...usually the snow doesn't stick and is gone the next day!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, here in Oklahoma it doesn't "usually" stay long either.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My metal detecting season never stops. During the fall thru spring months I mainly hunt for civil war and colonial relics. During the hot months I then hunt for the old coins.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It doesn't "stop" in a lot of areas in the USA, that aren't in snow-belt regions. Where I'm at in the coastal region of CA, at lower elevations, it simply never goes below 35* degrees, and never snows. So in the winter, we just go beach erosion hunting, or land hunting on days it's not raining. Year-round detecting. Problem solved ;D

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn't stop here either. Deer season may slow us down, getting shot at in the woods ain't my idea of fun. I'm just waiting for January to get here to hit some new locations I've received permission on, hope to find some relics.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad for me either i can get out most of the time the ground freezes maybe 2 weeks total and some snow not bad. Keppy those are some wild pics. Donj.

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Florida just get a wet suit or a coat and keep digging.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's cold, crappy, cloudy, windy, and rain, here also, won't be long and the ground will be frozen.

I clean up my detectors and finds for the year. Take the batteries out and put the detectors up till spring.

Then I start to enjoy my winter hobby. Making Beer! :thumbsup:

Parisdakarbmw

Sep 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm going to put a hair dryer attachment on my detector for the frozen ground days.....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing to prepare for. :icon_scratch:

When it snows 6" or more, I just don't go.....no preparation necessary. :dontknow:

But....this is my time of year. :thumbsup: Cooler temps, no bugs...well fewer anyhow...and I can breath a lot better in cooler air and walk further. A little more stamina than midsummer's hazy, humid, hot temps.

I don't mind one bit going out in the high 30's or better as long as I can dig a plug.

When the ground freezes solid and there's two feet of snow on the ground...I RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! Library has heat and treasures in bindings. :read2:

Al

Attachments

• DSCF1871.JPG
    DSCF1871.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 861
  • DSCF1871.JPG
    DSCF1871.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 870
  • DSCF1868.JPG
    DSCF1868.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 880

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
deepskyal said:
Nothing to prepare for. :icon_scratch:

When it snows 6" or more, I just don't go.....no preparation necessary. :dontknow:

But....this is my time of year. :thumbsup: Cooler temps, no bugs...well fewer anyhow...and I can breath a lot better in cooler air and walk further. A little more stamina than midsummer's hazy, humid, hot temps.

I don't mind one bit going out in the high 30's or better as long as I can dig a plug.

When the ground freezes solid and there's two feet of snow on the ground...I RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! Library has heat and treasures in bindings. :read2:

Al
Yes sir that is what i do also............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread