Kinda stumped...

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I was watchin a few vids on utube on beach huntin, gotta get my fix somehow til I am down in Punta Gorda next week. I know people love their excals since they can disc for trash, ok I understand that I use a pi, have no disc. Well since odds say more targets recovered, better odds of something worthwhile in the pouch at the end of a day, why do they wear out their coil going back and forth ( one guy was scanning a target for nearly 2 minutes, and playin with the fancy knobs) before they dig the target? I can recover 3 targets while this guy is still just listening and turning knobs before he even starts to dig. I know everyone needs to get to know their machine but it seems kinda silly to me, dig it up and move on... seems like the sensible thing to me. Or am I missing something? :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
I sold my Excal and went back to my first love, a Tesoro Sandshark (PI). I have a pretty good collection of fresh dropped not rusted ferrous that I would have nulled over if I was swinging my Excal. These include several high dollar knives, lighters and 2 handguns. It's sand, for Pete's sake. Is it really that much more effort to dig everything?

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about all the valuable time u loose digging all those bobbie pins and hair bradds, fish hooks and wire.

when i owned one (PI) my hunting time increase by 2 hours to cover the same area and i had to buy another pouch for the bad targets

PI's are wonderful on clean beaches, but for me..........no way, ever again would i own one.

i had a eric foster goldquest..........it would hit sunglasses 12 and 14 scoops deep.......u do not dig 12 scoops deep in 1 mins.

good luck to all u PI guys and have to stick with excal.

D

digum smacks

i know where you are coming from because i own both machines and do it with both.the reason why i do it is because i want to see what the target sounds like in different settings

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
how about all the valuable time u loose digging all those bobbie pins and hair bradds, fish hooks and wire.
And that's why some of us find alot of gold as opposed to others who want to trust their discriminators and not dig targets have an occainsional piece of gold.
And experience is another reason someone digs so long, some people have no idea how to pinpoint. Stick with the PI, which goes deeper by the way. I don't mind cleaning the beaches. I'm doing my "Green" thing and saving the planet, one bobbie pin at a time.

D

digum smacks

if you hear 2 beebs back to back real fast its a bobby pin .i dont know about the older models but i can tell "good targets"from "junk targets"but i still dig them anyway"just incase"and to get them out of the way

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I'm out swingin , I'm not on a time schedule an its not a race nor am I expected to detect a certain amount of area in so much time ,if it beeps I dig it generally ,you never know what kinda cool stuff you'll find .

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
also, some guys hunt in all metal, get a hit, and switch back to disc. to hear what the signal sounds like and to decide if it's worth diggin....personally, i dig em all...hh

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VBDave said:
I sold my Excal and went back to my first love, a Tesoro Sandshark (PI). I have a pretty good collection of fresh dropped not rusted ferrous that I would have nulled over if I was swinging my Excal. These include several high dollar knives, lighters and 2 handguns. It's sand, for Pete's sake. Is it really that much more effort to dig everything?

I am like MT Pockets, I turn it on and go, I do not adjust knobs when trying to decide if I dig target. If I get a good signal N-S / E-W I dig it.

Some bottle caps are easy to identify and you can do the wiggle and know they are bottlecaps, others that are older and being destroyed by the salt sound good till you dig them or remove some of the sand. Pop tops sound like gold many times....Pockets last major find sounded just like a nice poptop, tested it on the beach.........

I rarely ever dig the dry sand, lot more goodies in the water and wet sand.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T,Hunter i think you might have a case coming your way. :tongue3:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set my disc at 1.5 and dig all solid signals if u know ur machine u know whay its tell'n ya

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting in all metal mode (pin point) with my excal back in July. I was checking in disc mode before digging, switching back and forth. There were several quarters that didn't even make a beep in disc mode. My biggest surprise was the white gold ring. I could here it in pin point but not in disc in the wet sand, only down maybe 2 inches. When I got it out I could here it in disc mode. I found 2 other gold rings in disc mode so there isn't anything wrong with the machine. I just can't figure out why there were items I couldn't here in disc mode.....kind of interesting, makes me wonder how much stuff I've left behind.

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig um all at the beach, where I hunt its not very dirty, cept for the fourth and new years when sparkler wires are everywhere. I can usually tell a bobby pin, but ya never know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarter might have been standing. I have had faint signals that turned out to be coins standing rather then flat...Just a thought.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
To the untrained eye it appears as though I've stopped and am fiddling with the knobs when in all actuality I've just stopped to go pee.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
The quarter might have been standing. I have had faint signals that turned out to be coins standing rather then flat...Just a thought.

I thought maybe that was the issue, but I still can't figure out why it would only pick up the white gold ring in pin point. Later I did a test to see if I could hear it in disc mode and I heard it loud and clear. There's nothing wrong with my Excal, as far as I know because I've found numerous coins and pieces of jewelry. I found a few quarters the same way, not hearing them in disc mode, none of the items were deep. It just has me wondering how many good items I may have passed up. Of course I wouldn't want to leave it in pin point mode in some of the junk areas.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.I.B. said:
To the untrained eye it appears as though I've stopped and am fiddling with the knobs when in all actuality I've just stopped to go pee.

Yeah, but your suppose to at least be in the water, not standing in the middle of the beach............... :tongue3:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
G.I.B. said:

Yeah, but your suppose to at least be in the water, not standing in the middle of the beach............... :tongue3:

Too funny both of you :laughing7:

I know none of us have ever done that out in the water.....lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions