King charles the 1st trade weight

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, I had a thread earlier today where I wasn't able to identify one of the finds.
I've now identified it to be a king Charles the 1st trade weight. King charles reigned from 1625-1649!
This is now my oldest relic, and I'm super happy to have it. Two weeks ago or so, I found my oldest to date relic, a 1620-1680 trapezoidal shoe buckle. I can't believe I've already found something older and in my opinion, cooler. I'm super lucky and extremely happy. If you don't see anymore posts from me, I had a heart attack!
Any other info about trade weights is appreciated.
I'm super stoked to have found it and this beauty is going right into my shadow box.

Hope you all enjoy and Goodluck and happy hunting,
Zach

Attachments

• 20161116_193545.png
    20161116_193545.png
    508.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 20161116_203515.png
    20161116_203515.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 21

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really sweet find!
Congratulations

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King Charles-I later had his head chopped off by the Roundheads. Interesting history that artifact represents! :icon_thumright:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finds like this are such a cool part of this hobby, and keep me feeling like a beginner in a great way. I had never seen one of these before. I love it!! I'd appreciate a link to the ID post, as well as any perspective from anyone else on how rare something like this is stateside. Seems to me to be an absolutely extraordinary save.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing it

OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
weights
This is where I IDed the weight, 20th row, 1st weight.
Thanks all for the kind words.
Underminer, I did read that when I did a Wikipedia on him!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With little other research, my lead disk turns out to be a lead trade weight as well. I can't make out any markings on it besides some weird ones on the back.
Any information is appreciated!
20161117_100346.jpg
20161117_100230.jpg
20161117_100505.png
Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't offer any help, only sit here and drool over it! Great find!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool relic! A trade weight is still on my want-to-find list!

OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy! I've just sent a email along with some pics to the site I identified the Charles the 1st from. Hoping they respond back with any information. Will keep everyone posted.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to find anything that old except near Jersey's East or West coast , Great , Great , find
LOndon /// Kings Hallmarks are Awesome !!! :cool: ... wish I found that one .....................

BIG Congrats friend :occasion14:

daWg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With little other research, my lead disk turns out to be a lead trade weight as well. I can't make out any markings on it besides some weird ones on the back.
Any information is appreciated!
View attachment 1382119
View attachment 1382120
View attachment 1382121
Thanks for looking and enjoy!
Cool find, I like finding these, but then again my odds are greater. I'm convinced many of these were around for 100 years plus, stuck away & never used.
The lead one is a tough call, because without any proper markings, its just a Lead disk that could be a trade weight, plus a few other known's & unknown options.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really great find that I want to add to my display some day

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! You are on a nice early site based on the weight and the buckle.

OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find! You are on a nice early site based on the weight and the buckle.

Thanks and yessir! I've been waiting to have this permission for awhile now. A early cob was found in the area as well as other early 1600s finds 2 years ago. The acreage is huge so there's definitely more interesting finds to show and share soon I hope.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can bet there is more. Keep us posted on what you find. We all love finding coins, but the trade weight is special! And am betting there are coins there too. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can bet there is more. Keep us posted on what you find. We all love finding coins, but the trade weight is special! And am betting there are coins there too. Happy hunting!

Thank you! I'll Be sure to post anything good i find. And I'm betting there are quite a few coins amongst all the different fields of the area, just a matter of getting my coil over it! Gl and HH to you as well :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find Zach with excellent detail and a lovely patina. I've dug several trade weights down here in Virginia, but none quite as early as yours. You may already be aware of this, but in addition to the King Charles mark, the dagger signifies the City of London authority and the ewer (looks like a coffee pot) represents the Founders Company that was granted authority to certify brass trade weights produced by private makers. However, I'm unsure how to determine if your weight is Charles I or II. The reference source you used shows examples of both types, and yours definitely matches the earlier one. So I guess we can assume that info is correct. Regardless, congrats on an awesome early recovery!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find Zach with excellent detail and a lovely patina. I've dug several trade weights down here in Virginia, but none quite as early as yours. You may already be aware of this, but in addition to the King Charles mark, the dagger signifies the City of London authority and the ewer (looks like a coffee pot) represents the Founders Company that was granted authority to certify brass trade weights produced by private makers. However, I'm unsure how to determine if your weight is Charles I or II. The reference source you used shows examples of both types, and yours definitely matches the earlier one. So I guess we can assume that info is correct. Regardless, congrats on an awesome early recovery!
Good point, my first thought was it maybe CII & as far as I can tell, it might be either.

OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the kind words bill! I did not know any of what you said, thanks for that information. I only knew the c was for charles. Also, as you stated cII trade weight could of been a possibility as well. I thought so myself but mine matches up perfectly to the stamps of the Charles the 1st. The c is slightly different and so is the hilt of the dagger. It is thicker on cII. There are also a few other charles the firsts I ran into while searching, stamps still look the same. Curved c and skinnier hilt/hand guard. I'm personally gonna stick with charles the 1st as the ID as I'm pretty certain, but I'm not a expert, so who knows. thanks again and Hh

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread