Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I was having a conversation with a client. It turns out her office is in a spot I have had my eye on for many years. I knew there was a lot of activity in the area during the summer of 1778, when the British evacuated Philadelphia and headed to Monmouth. Needless to say when I got the green light I headed there at my first opportunity. I have found large caliber musket balls in the area before (possibly fired from the British made Brown Bess).

I got a very shallow signal, and was surprised when this button came up. The button is one piece domed, but it has mold marks, which makes me wonder if it from a modern reenactment.

I also found the 10K ring a few yards away.

I am hoping it is the real deal! Please help!

Attachments

• 2009_06100018a.JPG
    2009_06100018a.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 659
  • 2009_06100019a.JPG
    2009_06100019a.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 589
  • 2009_06100020a.JPG
    2009_06100020a.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,483
  • 2009_06100021a.JPG
    2009_06100021a.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 608
  • 2009_06100015.JPG
    2009_06100015.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, I'm eagerly waiting for your post to get responces. I found the same button in PA. last year. I might have over cleaned it though. Here are some pics of mine...Rich.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 597

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neil,

I hope it turns out to be the real deal. Nice digging, man!

Kirk

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALRIGHT NEIL! I remember you telling me about this spot. Congratulations! I hope someone chimes in on value for you. Looks like it's in great shape. I'm happy for ya. There has to be some more goodies there. That button is a good sign of Rev. War relics. Hogge :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a bit of researching (Troiani's Military Buttons of the American Revolution) and there is no button that I have found that is military that is like this one. I think the crown is a facsimile of a crown, not the type of any crown that I see on any British button. No British button I have seen in the books has a crown on top and bottom, yet alone having the word REGIMENT twice. :icon_scratch:

So, I think it is for sure not a Rev War button, the shank and mold marks might be a indicator of a more modern button, just don't know, but maybe Cru or IP will chime in, but for now I would say a button other than military and not Colonial.

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
I did a bit of researching (Troiani's Military Buttons of the American Revolution) and there is no button that I have found that is military that is like this one. I think the crown is a facsimile of a crown, not the type of any crown that I see on any British button. No British button I have seen in the books has a crown on top and bottom, yet alone having the word REGIMENT twice. :icon_scratch:

So, I think it is for sure not a Rev War button, the shank and mold marks might be a indicator of a more modern button, just don't know, but maybe Cru or IP will chime in, but for now I would say a button other than military and not Colonial.

Don

Those mold marks, as well as the fact that the button was found at "0" inches are what makes me think it is a modern button. I am wondering if these are the types of buttons sold for reenactments, although no reenactments took place in this area that I am aware of.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously the Malaysian auction says it all, nothing special.

Does anyone really think this could be a Rev war button rare enough we can't ID it, but yet the fakes are on ebay in Malaysia??? :-X

Even the back of the button, especially the shank, looks new.

PS... Reading your title I thought you did find a good one because the King's American Regiment is a well known Loyalist unit.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
PS... Reading your title I thought you did find a good one because the King's American Regiment is a well known Loyalist unit.

...and they were active in this area.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:

Don

I agree with the above & IP.

No way is this a British Military Button, sorry.

The crown is a typicial 'fantasy' blazer type.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Iron Patch said:
Obviously the Malaysian auction says it all, nothing special.

Does anyone really think this could be a Rev war button rare enough we can't ID it, but yet the fakes are on ebay in Malaysia??? :-X

Even the back of the button, especially the shank, looks new.

I wasn't saying that the buttons was fake I was saying that alot of auctions from Malaysia are a Phishing sceme to get your bank info to your bank account

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Iron Patch said:

...and they were active in this area.

...and many settled in my parts after the war. I've found quite a few.

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
Nice find Neil,
Hope it works out for ya

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread