Kinkade painting for $5

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
Hi there I am new to the forum. I have been having a great time reading these threads and figure I should contribute. I have been going to garage sales on and off for the last 4 months or so. The first one I went to I bought a bunch of vintage postcards from the early 1900's and late 1800's for $25.00 at a garage sale. I found a guy on Craigslist that was looking to buy vintage post cards. I got $350.00 for the lot. I have been hooked since. I noticed the neighbor accross the street from me was having a small garage sale. I decided to take a look and asked how much he wanted for a 19.5" x 15/5" painting in a frame that I could see was a Kinkade. I got it for $5.00. Here are some pics. How did I do? :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 1,000
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 957
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 970

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st WELCOME to TNET next you stole it. Fantastic find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
aa battery said:
1st WELCOME to TNET next you stole it. Fantastic find :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot. I am quite excited about it myself. To think it was across the street from my house and I found it right before they closed up for the day. How did no one else scoop this thing? I am hoping to sell it and put the proceeds towards a new ATpro or gold. ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beside Still Waters is the first of two paintings in Thomas Kinkade's popular Streams of Living Water series. The companion painting in the collection is The Power and Majesty. To find one of the limited editions for $5 is a really good score. As to what it will sell for? I don't know. The ones on Ebay go from $1750.00 to $2775.00. I'd throw it up for $995.00 and see what it does, but that's just me.
PS- congrats on those postcards. I can't find any to save my life. Well, actually I may find one here or one there, but no collections. I have a few thousand and am always looking for more. Pre 1900 postcards are highly desirable, certain ones can go for hundreds, evens thousands each.

OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
diggummup said:
Beside Still Waters is the first of two paintings in Thomas Kinkade's popular Streams of Living Water series. The companion painting in the collection is The Power and Majesty. To find one of the limited editions for $5 is a really good score. As to what it will sell for? I don't know. The ones on Ebay go from $1750.00 to $2775.00. I'd throw it up for $995.00 and see what it does, but that's just me.
PS- congrats on those postcards. I can't find any to save my life. Well, actually I may find one here or one there, but no collections. I have a few thousand and am always looking for more. Pre 1900 postcards are highly desirable, certain ones can go for hundreds, evens thousands each.

Man, you got me stoked now. I had no idea I scored a nicer piece. I expected this to get $400 tops. At the same time though, you bummed me out. I forgot to mention that the postcard "lot" was about 18 shoeboxes full of postcards. I was wondering why the guy who bought them looked like he was stealing candy from a baby while he was going through my cards. I literally had over 10,000 cards. Anyways, GLTA I can't wait for the next STEAL! ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you have me drooling. 10,000 cards! Man, that guy was loving life that day!
On the prices I mentioned for the painting, those were the asking prices on Ebay, none of them actually sold for that much. Either the price is too high or there isn't any demand or interest in it at the moment, at least for those prices. That's why I figured if you start at $995.00 you may get a bite. Good Luck.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Picture and to get it for $5.00 is a monstrous deal. Your picture was actually made in 1993, by the mintage number of the picture,
you have a "Paper" picture and not a canvas picture. The canvas picture of this piece only had a total 435 made across all specturms of
the grading scale. "International Proof (IP)", "Artist Proof (AP)", "Gallery Proof (GP)" and so on.

Your "Paper" picture originally sold for around $195.00 in 1993, today that same print on paper will go for around $1,500 while the Canvas version of your picture will exceed $4,500. It is sold out which means the prices will start to appreciate, the only issue is that it is "Paper" and not a Canvas Kincaid. Makes sure to keep it in an A/C room and do not let the humidity get to it.

This is all based on the size of the print you quoted, obviously, larger prints will go for more money.

Enjoy it, they are very beautiful. Also, let me give you a little hint, hand the picture where you can place a light that is on a dimmer switch. Look at the picture without the light, try it with the light on full then slowly start to dim the lights. The painting will take on
a new perspective. Thomas Kincaid is my favorite painter of all times. I have "The Old Fishing Hole" hanging in my house.
The left hand side of the picture has a number, yours has a 2, that means there are 2 "N" in the picture. Have fun finding them, they can
be anywhere, the "N" is the first initial in his wifes name, "Nannett".

OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
Thanks for the response. I did a little research and it looks like there were more than 2 different series of this painting. There were only 900 of the standard paper paintings and 98 of the Artist Proof paper. There was 400 Artist Proof Framed canvas and 1280 of the Standard Numbered Framed Canvas (the one I have). I found the Standard Numbered Framed Canvas online at a website selling for $2,848.00. This is all very exciting. So it looks like I did really, really good. When I read your post I was a bit confused because I was sure that it was canvas. I am glad you responded because it made me do a little research and I am happy what I found. :thumbsup:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
You sure thats paper? It looks like canvas to me. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Yes, for the size picture mentioned, 1280 were paper and not canvas although it is extremely difficult to tell just by looking as the "Hired" hands will touch up paper as well as canvas pictures. I did call my dealer and had them verify the size and she responded that 1,280 of them were paper and the remaining 435 were canvas.

These figures are for that size of picture only, other sizes/re-issues had different numbers produced, both in paper and in canvas. I certainly
hope I am wrong and that you do have a canvas print. Either way, you got a great deal.

OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
Well, I had a Kinkade collector offer me $600.00. I will start an auction on Ebay for that amount and see if it goes for more. If not $600.00 it is. Any suggestions on how to describe it and what not? I will put the title in the subject and Kinkade, but was wondering if there are any other tips. You guys are great. I also found another link that leads me to believe it is canvas. Here it is: http://kraftmstr.com/kinkade/k162b/index.html It says that there are 1280 of these as well. She is the one who offered me $600 + shipping. Thanks for everyone's input on this. I can't wait to hit up the garage sales this weekend. I got some friends that are eager to go as well. Just like my 49ers yesterday, victory! :hello2:

P.S. It is a 16"x20" not a 15.5"x19.5", but I figure you guys figured that out by now. Apparently my measuring skills are lacking. :)

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BayAreaDigger said:
Well, I had a Kinkade collector offer me $600.00. I will start an auction on Ebay for that amount and see if it goes for more. If not $600.00 it is. Any suggestions on how to describe it and what not? I will put the title in the subject and Kinkade, but was wondering if there are any other tips. You guys are great. I also found another link that leads me to believe it is canvas. Here it is: http://kraftmstr.com/kinkade/k162b/index.html It says that there are 1280 of these as well. She is the one who offered me $600 + shipping. Thanks for everyone's input on this. I can't wait to hit up the garage sales this weekend. I got some friends that are eager to go as well. Just like my 49ers yesterday, victory! :hello2:

P.S. It is a 16"x20" not a 15.5"x19.5", but I figure you guys figured that out by now. Apparently my measuring skills are lacking. :)

Go out to Kincaid's website and get the information for your painting and place it in the body of your auction. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
"$.99 Xbox 360 power cable. Works great! 1 day NR! (#140075226804) US $56.00"

I would like to know how you sold a power cable for $56?

OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
jerseypicked said:
"$.99 Xbox 360 power cable. Works great! 1 day NR! (#140075226804) US $56.00"

I would like to know how you sold a power cable for $56?

LOL I don't even remember selling that. :tongue3: It was in Jan. of 07 though. I don't think you could get them except the Microsoft kind and they were expensive.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Out of curiosity, how do the Kinkade teapots and ceramic scenes do? I've been seeing them at garage and estate sales.

OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
OldSowBreath said:
Out of curiosity, how do the Kinkade teapots and ceramic scenes do? I've been seeing them at garage and estate sales.

I haven't a clue as I am not a collector. Someone else here could surely help you. I would search Ebay and see what they are going for myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread