Kip Wagner

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
The other day I decided to check out the book "Pieces of Eight" by Kip Wagner. I know that many on this board have discussed him through the years.

I found his writing to be somewhat evasive, and a little conflicting in places. What the book does do is give a pretty good picture of the exhaustiveness of treasure hunting, especially underwater. He was relentless that is for sure. Passion gone wild !

I think it is good for any TH'er to read, land or water, or otherwise, as the book captures the hard work, the diligence, the disappointments, failures and the glint of success of being a TH'er. I don't feel so alone now when I think about those tiring treasure hunting adventures of mine. It is an addiction, a passion, in the blood for sure.

Sometimes I think our desire for Treasure Hunting is geneticallly passed down, for I feel God has a purpose, plan and a place for everyone. We all have different roles and interests. I think that maybe somewhere in our ancestry were the world's explorers, and the inventors of the world. In any place or time, we could have been the people on the 1715 fleet ships, or on the trail of the Silk Road as explorers, traders/merchants.

Somewhere this passion came upon us, we are addicted to it, it doesn't go away, and we will as long as we are living, continue to be searching, exploring and relishing in the earths secrets both God created and those deposited by intention or fate of the human kind.

Even if Kip had not ventured on to the Treasure Coast, I am sure all of us with that passion would have heard, would have found it eventually. It's an instinct and we are driven.
Just like people find this website. They had to do a search first, or be connected to someone else with "the passion"

When I smell a fresh rain, it tells me there's something new, there's something out there for me. I just got to get out and explore.

I could never be a "Dilbert". No not the secretary type. Give me the open skies and a sunset at it's farthest reaches and I am off.

Kip, was a man who saw an opportunity that turned into more than what he expected. I think in the end he was satisfied. He accomplished something new.
Sometimes our greatest lessons are learned after we needed them. Kip implies that. But at least he paved a way that helps some of us think a little harder about what it takes to find treasure, that there are prices to be paid, and perils, and sometimes rewards. We just have to decide how far we want to go and keep everything balanced.

Anyone on this board that ever met Kip ?

itmaiden

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen these symptoms before. It's defiantly a case of Treasure Fever...

Unfortunately, once bitten by this bug, there is no known cure.

itmaiden, this was the first book I read about the 1715 fleet many years ago when I first got the bug!

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
It's "Season" For the Treasure Coast, and I am so excited, it is hard to stay focused on anything but treasure hunting.

I usually try to work too many beaches in the same day. I decided this year I have to "calm down" and be more methodical.

So until I get there, I am all over the place on T-net, maps, books....keep checking the sky, weather, tide forecast, surf reports...

Awful addiction, yes it is !

itmaiden

wreckdiver1715 said:
I've seen these symptoms before. It's defiantly a case of Treasure Fever...

Unfortunately, once bitten by this bug, there is no known cure.

itmaiden, this was the first book I read about the 1715 fleet many years ago when I first got the bug!

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
very nicely put.

i've not read wagner yet but it's on my list.

LD

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
This is one of the first books on galleons I have read, and I found it to be very inspiring. Being from Ohio myself I felt connected somewhat to his passions. Kip was one of a kind and worked exhaustively torward success. I hope others read pieces of eight and feel the same emotion I felt the first time I picked it up. That and Duncan Mathewson Treasure of the Atocha are both non stop readers, I could never put them down until they were finished.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure bug is a strong one. Once bitten I would have to agree that there is no known cure. It will lead you down roads that no fiction writer could ever imagine if you allow it to. Somewhere along the way, if you are paying attention, you will find the true secret of life. That often illusive secret that evades so many but is always right in front of you. Once discovered, the adventure begins anew. Don't worry, I'm not going to start chanting or anything like that....lol

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread