Knew there were more!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Really excited to get back out there and rake. Need to look it up a little harder, I couldn't wait to share. Funny how it is lopsided, like they broke it but continued to knapp it? Fluted all the way around. I have never fond one like it, nice addition to my collection. I actually beat the hubby to it ;D!

Attachments

• lg knife.JPG
    lg knife.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 518
  • lg knife1.JPG
    lg knife1.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 523
  • lg knife2.JPG
    lg knife2.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Nice piece Country Girl,I have one kind of like that.I was wondering if you knew the name of the material it was made of.I see alot of it here in Maine.................Jay

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
jbl04410 said:
Nice piece Country Girl,I have one kind of like that.I was wondering if you knew the name of the material it was made of.I see alot of it here in Maine.................Jay

We have alot made of Flint here in New England, I find mostly Flint. That's why I get pretty excited finding the other materials like Quartz, Felsite, ect.......

Keep finding them, getting harder every year.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Thank you! I'm on a roll, finally found a good one with the metal detector in the same area, dry steak is over ??? :) :D ;D? I hope!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Till the whole yard!!!

Fossis................

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Working on tilling the whole yard. Running ot of places for gardens, rock walls, wait until the pool goes in :D.

Can't find a match in any of my books so far. Any ideas on what it was used for. My "guess" for spearing fish?

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
Judging from the width of the base, it is most likely a knife thats been resharpened a few times. Nice find. If something like that turned up in my yard it would start looking like a mine field out there.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aah, CG...another nice one to add to your collection. WTG gal!

;) RR

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
River, I about came out of my skin with this one!

Flip, sometimes it does! I plant Crocus in the holes I dig in the fall, so the Hubby doesn't get too excited about all the holes. Just planting flowers Dear. "With your Metal Detector?" Well....... Thanks for the Knife idea, that was my first thought, but it looks like it may have been mounted to a shaft?

Thanks!

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
That would be all it would take to get me to rake my yard...
I think it's a knife also, just because of the size and uneveness of it. Knives often had handles or parts to attatch it to a handle similar to points. Very cool blade- I would guess early woodland period (if I found it around here anyway) Thanks for posting!

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope you get a better picture.. Is that a vane of quartz or something running thought it or just a dirt line from how it was laying?

Good find, Rich

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I knew you would like it Cannonman, I agree on the knife after lots of looking through books. I think your right on the early woodland too.

Rich here's another picture with the scanner, not sure if it is any better, the point is so uneven it's hard to get a great pic. That is a vein that runs through it, brownish color. I'm not sure if it's quartz or not.

Take another look. Thanks again Gentlemen.

Attachments

• SCAN KNIFE.jpg
    SCAN KNIFE.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 381

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, thats cool. My wife has one with a vein in it.. Not as big as yours though. That really makes it unique

Attachments

• 100_2334aa.jpg
    100_2334aa.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 100_2333a.jpg
    100_2333a.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 360
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Your wifes point is pretty. I like the ones with veins, it's like they pick that paticular piece of material just for the special ones. Thanks for sharing Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions