Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an invite for a prospection on a site close to a huge early roman sanctuary. The job was to confirm the geophysics with metal finds.
6 detectors and no roman finds in 6hrs. Looks like the geophys shows older than roman foundations. My best find of the day (and best find at all) was this little bronze knife blade dating into the urnfield period around 1000BC. Something so rare in our area, the archies think about a small excavation. Knifes like this usually come up in burial sites destroyed by the plough. Sorry that there is not more to show but i'm more than happy with that find this time of the year. :occasion14:

35822034nw.jpg

35822035el.jpg

Upvote 22

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This find is a BANNER!

Looks like you can use it as a knife, and as a spoon as well. Kinda like the beginning of the One Knife Does Everything we have going today. There's a term for that, but my brain can't see it right now :(

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
West Front, a big congrats on your amazing find. Incredible that the knife blade is still intact after 3,000 years. You have my banner vote as well. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice utilitarian knife blade, congratulations.

Now you need to go find a bronze riveted dagger blade!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, thats rare enough to shout about, no need for other finds. CONGRATS

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Westfront! I think anything recovered from 1,000 BC is BANNER material! Congrats and best wishes!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding piece of history! :notworthy:

Banner!

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This find is a BANNER!

Looks like you can use it as a knife, and as a spoon as well. Kinda like the beginning of the One Knife Does Everything we have going today. There's a term for that, but my brain can't see it right now :(

At least the look is familar, my first thought was "hey, looks like a butter knife"

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
West Front, a big congrats on your amazing find. Incredible that the knife blade is still intact after 3,000 years. You have my banner vote as well. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Thanks Walt, sometimes you have to have luck. The handle is gone and i wasn't able to detect it anywhere around.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, thats rare enough to shout about, no need for other finds. CONGRATS

Thanks Cru, had a couple modern coins, few musket balls and lots of trash there. All went into bags soon, this was the only piece i grabbed the camera for.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Westfront! I think anything recovered from 1,000 BC is BANNER material! Congrats and best wishes!

Hi Phil, it's the oldest (metal) artefact i ever dug which is exactly datable by it's style. I may had older pieces of sickles but this was a special day. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies! :occasion14:
Great day and great find for sure, however i don't think it's Banner material just because it's that old. Super rare in our area yes. I'm just thinking about the guys who dig stuff like that almost on a daily basis.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Swell find Lu. I bet the Arkies just love you now. Let us know if you do a dig there. Good going and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions