Knights' Gold . . . 5,000 Gold Coins . . . Largest KGC Treasure Ever Discovered

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Senior Deacon,

The book is already out but just on Kindle/EBooks. You can read the first 5 chapters as a preview on Amazon (without Kindle). For anyone with Kindle Unlimited the entire book is free.

As Rebel mentions, the entire Eastern portion of MD was copperhead and pro-South.

Albert Pike sponsored Charles Webb in 1853 . . . was listed as a "Companion Mason" for Webb's becoming Grand Master of Maryland Freemasonry. That is in the Masonic record.

Kane was only Mayor for a few months . . . 1878. He passed away from Bright's Disease while in office. He had gone to Webb, his old backer, to ask for help in fixing the city's finances. Webb agreed to become tax collector, and agreed to stay on even after Kane's death. The new mayor was the son of another MD Grand Master!

The coins were apparently buried in 1856, possibly to finance the planned invasion and takeover of Cuba, which never happened. Captain John Mattison's voyages were often taking him to Cuba, and he was connected to the trading house of a man named Teran, one of the most notorious slave traders in Cuba. Teran's partner was an Englishman named Tyng. After the Civil War, Mattison (who served on the same corporate board of directors as Charles Webb, James Webb, and James Armstrong) sold the treasure house to Andrew Saulsbury, who worked for Webb. Saulsbury was a fiery, outspoken Confederate sympathizer who was threatened by Union troops during the occupation. Saulsbury became the new sentinel for the coins, buried under his house (the house that used to be Mattison's home). Saulsbury passed away in 1873, and his widow lived in the house until 1889.
Understand that Saulsbury named his first born son James Armstrong Saulsbury. And James Armstrong Saulsbury in turn named his sons Thomas Armstrong Saulsbury and Charles Webb Saulsbury. No doubt Captain Mattison would have been their "Uncle John." Thomas Armstrong, Saulsbury's best friend, lived at the "rebel" hotel where 2,000 gold coins would be unearthed.

That three of the Saulsbury sons were named after the three top executives at Jas. Armstrong & Co. tells you what a band of brothers these were. And the man they supported in city government from marshal to sheriff to mayor was George P. Kane. Kane was fingered by Pinkerton as the brains behind the plot to assassinate Lincoln in 1861. And in 1864, it was Kane who Booth sought out with his initial plans to kidnap Lincoln from his carriage. JWB was definitely KGC, and his sponsor in the organization would have been his good friend George Kane.

Saulsbury was dead by 1873, and Kane and Webb did not get into office until 1877-1878. So the coins were not the result of taxes being skimmed. They were dated 1834-1856 and appeared to have been buried sometime in 1856. The KGC was formed in 1854 and merged with the Order of the Lone Star soon after. Baltimore was one of the earliest and largest chapters. Some of the coins may have originally been in the OLS treasury.

Kane was probably not in the Freemasons because of his Irish and possibly Catholic background. He did help an Irish organization (I believe the Ancient Order of Hibernians) to collect money and supplies to relieve the suffering in Ireland during the famine. He was known, however, to have been tough on the Irish immigrants of Baltimore when he was the police marshal.

Some sources say Kane was Protestant, and some say Catholic. I do know his parents came from Londonderry ("Derry" if you are Catholic). My grandmother's grandparents also came from Londonderry, and the family name was Kane (a fairly common Irish surname). So there is a possibility I am related to George Kane.

There is a strong possibility that it was George Kane who would have received the kidnapped Abraham Lincoln if Booth's original plan had worked. I believe Kane may have been waiting in Shenandoah Valley for Booth, his conspirators, and the drugged and tied up President Lincoln. My book will explain.

My best guess is that JWB was inducted into the KGC in the home of Andrew Saulsbury at 138 S. Central Avenue. This would have been in July, 1859 while Saulsbury was living on Central and Captain Mattison was living in the treasure house at 55 S. Eden (132 S. Eden in the 1900s). Saulsbury was the recruiter, and Mattison acted as the sentinel for the gold coins. Later, that job was transferred to Saulsbury at the war's end.
A plan. Financing. Manpower. A different war interfered , leaving the plan scuttled. Not to be resumed after. (?)

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"possibly to finance the planned invasion and takeover of Cuba, which never happened."

It happened after the inner circle of the O.A.K. took control. teddy1.jpg andrew-carnegie-1.jpg Paul_Morton.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Occupation_of_Cuba

L.C.:icon_thumright:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
franklin:

So it is your suggestion when statements are posted that are alternative facts they should simply be ignored?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Understood as fact and excepted as such would be the thing to do there......IF the available body of facts or information indicate whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

L.C.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions