OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite Bob Brewer's critics, the fact remains that his book "Rebel Gold", co-authored by "Wall Street Journal" writer Warren Getler, is one of the best-documented sources of the direct ties between the KGC and Freemasonry in existence. This is a quote I borrowed from the book and posted on our Bloody Bill group's message board over three years ago.
~Texas Jay

Information about Albert Pike from "Rebel Gold":

page 54 - "...Pike, born the same year as Abraham Lincoln, combined
elements from three important aspects of his life: membership in
Scottish Rite Freemasonry; political experience with the Whigs and
then with the short-lived anti-immigration, anti-black, anti-Catholic
Know-Nothings, followed by the Democratic Party; and, finally, legal
and Masonic connections with the Cherokee and other Nations in Indian
Territory (what is now Oklahoma) across the border from Arkansas.
With unprecedented speed, Pike rose through the higher ranks of the
Scottish Rite, and eventually wrote its key manifesto, 'Morals and
Dogma'. He had first become a Masonic brother in 1850 in Little
Rock, where he was initiated under the three 'Blue Lodge' degrees of
common - otherwise known as 'symbolic' or 'craft' - Masonry. (These
neophyte degrees - Entered Apprentic, Fellow Craft and Master Mason -
are stepping-stones to the higher degrees in the two main forms
or 'appendant' systems of American Masonry; the Scottish Rite and
York Rite. Most Masons today only participate in these lower, common
degrees of initiation in the fraternity and, unlike those initiated
into the advanced degrees, have no special knowledge of tightly held
secrets or ancient mysteries.) After advancing through the basic
degrees, Pike quickly received, by 1853, all ten additional degrees
of the York Rite, with its strong early-American roots in New
England. The top degree for a York Rite Mason happens to be that
of 'Knight Templar.'
Later that year, brother 'Knight Templar' Pike switched his fraternal
focus to the Scottish Rite, with its progressive thirty-third
degrees, exotic rituals, symbol of the double-headed eagle, and twin
credos of 'from chaos, order' and 'liberty, equality and
fraternity.' Formally, the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of
Freemasonry confers twenty-nine higher degrees - including that
of 'Knight Kadosh' - up to the rank of thirty-second degree for those
over twenty-one years of age. It ultimately confers a final, thirty-
third, degree as an honorary title on a select few. Members of the
Scottish Rite Supreme Council are thirty-third-degree Masons.

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
Picture is definitely Masonic KT. The KGC had nothing to do with Freemasonry. We have a pretty good list of known KGC members from the Texas Castles that were taken from Newspaper accounts and such. Very few are listed in the Returns located at the Grand Lodge of Texas.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walker Colt said:
Picture is definitely Masonic KT. The KGC had nothing to do with Freemasonry. We have a pretty good list of known KGC members from the Texas Castles that were taken from Newspaper accounts and such. Very few are listed in the Returns located at the Grand Lodge of Texas.

Walker Colt: You make several bold, and I believe untrue statements, in this post. Why don't the "We", you mention, share the list of the KGC from the Texas Castles, that you claim to have, with those of us participating in this discussion. Anyone can say anything but statements are not worth a nickel without substantiation. Does your "list" show Capt. Jason W. James, Charles M. Webb, or Henry Ford? "Newspaper accounts" are not worth much when it comes to identifying members of a secret society. Sure, they may have had some of the earlier members who were involved with the Confederate Western Expansion movement, because they were public record, very early in the War but they would not account for any of the many ex-guerrillas and Confederates who re-located in Texas after the War ended nor would they show any of the younger generation of KGC members who were too young to fight in the Civil War.
Thanks,
~Texas Jay

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
Texas Jay,
The KGC were very active in Texas before the war with numerous accounts of them in the newspapers. As far as the list is concerned I believe it will be shown in Keehn's follow up to his article "The Strong Arm of Secession". If not I will ask him if I can post the information for you. I have been researching the ritual of the KGC and their masonic ties.

As far as post war KGC activities I have yet to be convinced of their existence. I believe the KGC died with Bickley in 1867. In 1865 Bickley denied any ties to the Order of American Knights and the Sons of Liberty.

Membership in the KGC was not part of what they kept secret as Bickley told them he wanted them to wear the emblems of the Order not unlike we in the masonic fraternity wear rings with our square and compasses emblem. The secrets they kept are mentioned in the Obligations they swore to and ritual in the 3 degrees IH, TF, and KCS.

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Texas Jay, The KGC were very active in Texas before the war with numerous accounts of them in the newspapers. As far as the list is concerned I believe it will be shown in Keehn's follow up to his article "The Strong Arm of Secession". If not I will ask him if I can post the information for you. I have been researching the ritual of the KGC and their masonic ties.

Although members of any organisation may come and go, a list of known members at any given time can't hurt for sake of providing a set time of reference. My hope is that you will not forget to do so :icon_thumleft: and this thread.

As far as post war KGC activities I have yet to be convinced of their existence. I believe the KGC died with Bickley in 1867. In 1865 Bickley denied any ties to the Order of American Knights and the Sons of Liberty.

Some are not convinced the KGC ever existed at all. Perhaps as midwives in custody of the Pharaoh we might "not understand" how the male Hebrew children are born against direct orders. In that year of 1865 George Washington Bickley was in federal custody :help: if considered.

Membership in the KGC was not part of what they kept secret as Bickley told them he wanted them to wear the emblems of the Order not unlike we in the masonic fraternity wear rings with our square and compasses emblem. The secrets they kept are mentioned in the Obligations they swore to and ritual in the 3 degrees IH, TF, and KCS.

There's not a secret like a secret in the presence of imagined danger (or rarely the 1861 type). Everybody wants to show with whom they affiliate in good times :icon_profileleft: but rarely in the troubled :o.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KnightsoftheGoldenCircle/

Gary

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
prospector40 said:
WOW!! After reading all that I guess I was wrong. I was thinking that the dude in the middle was someone I saw on Saturday Night Live back in the 80s.

Which middle :icon_scratch:?

Gary

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Gary, you have a VERY nice KGC web-site... the OLD KGC ritual of the FIRST degree, ( I thought I had the SECOND), is that of the MILITARY degree from the Castroville, TX
Castle/Lodge... which ANYONE can get by "googling" MILITARY DEGREE - KGC CASTROVILLE CASTLE. It would be NEAT, if ppl could find KGC Regalia in Castroville, TX area "old & new shops",
antiques shops, estate sales (family history "hand-me-downs"). Where you at? :dontknow: :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D STILL doing R & I; "googled" CASTROVILLE, TX... sounds like a NICE place; a bit different from the "rest of TX", in that FRENCH (France) "influence" is indicated in "early
history". I also read that TX had 32 Castles of the Knights of the Golden Circle, hence the term
"HOT-BED" of KGC activity. :icon_thumleft: ;D NOW! After the members died, supposedly on their
tombstones was the KGC CHAIN; anyone seen one? Take a digital camera picture... and "POST" IT HERE! Wanna see one, so I can do MORE R & I, of the "family" kind... THANKS! ;D :icon_thumleft:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :read2:

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Gary, you have a VERY nice KGC web-site... the OLD KGC ritual of the FIRST degree, ( I thought I had the SECOND), is that of the MILITARY degree from the Castroville, TX
Castle/Lodge... which ANYONE can get by "googling" MILITARY DEGREE - KGC CASTROVILLE CASTLE. It would be NEAT, if ppl could find KGC Regalia in Castroville, TX area "old & new shops",
antiques shops, estate sales (family history "hand-me-downs"). Where you at? :dontknow: :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D

Thanks, the web site is a bit nicer looking than the ever changing forum. As it says in the forum description none are encouraged to give their name, telephone number or addresses as this would invalidate a fundamental tenant of being secret.

You'd be surprised what can be learned from old books found at the Salvation Army and thrift type stores. The old histories are often overlooked in those places.

Gary

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumright: True; I also go to Good Will stores in the "richer" sections of town/county; I also
TOTALLY respect yer Oath of Silence. R & I continues for me... ;D :wink: :coffee2: :read2:

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR said:
Seriously....the uniforms are of the Masonic York Rite Knights Templar, not KGC:

Thank you for pointing out the the Masonic Knights Templar are of the YORK Rite. The conspiracy rumours abt Bro. Pike and the K.G.C. would spring from his association with the SCOTTISH Rite.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Gentlemen: You now have my curiosity aroused. I have a Ceremonial Sword that has been in the family from the 1800's It has FCB on the reverse of the hilt, "Fraternal order of Pythias". Any connection with the KGC? I have found none?

I also have a contract sabre from Germany, straight blade, that was used by the southern Cavalry. It originally had a man's initials and unit lightly cut in the brass hilt with a knife. Unfortunately my son, wanting to keep it in a like new condition, vigorously polished and cleaned out the "useless scratchings" , sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Yes, the "bad boys" of the SCOTTISH RITE, are "guilty as charged"! :laughing9: Yet, the RAM may have been involved, in terms of BURYING/EXCAVATING "treasure"... look at the RAM signet; a CROW BAR, PICK AX, SHOVEL... with the TRIPLE TAU; going "straight down", with "chambers" to the
right & left. :notworthy: NOW! :D For MORE "restless days" & "sleepless nights"... :wink:

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
OK Gentlemen: You now have my curiosity aroused. I have a Ceremonial Sword that has been in the family from the 1800's It has FCB on the reverse of the hilt, "Fraternal order of Pythias". Any connection with the KGC? I have found none?

I also have a contract sabre from Germany, straight blade, that was used by the southern Cavalry. It originally had a man's initials and unit lightly cut in the brass hilt with a knife. Unfortunately my son, wanting to keep it in a like new condition, vigorously polished and cleaned out the "useless scratchings" , sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Don Jose, I suggest you hold onto the Pythias sword until more research can be done on the Knights of Pythias and their possible relation to the KGC. I will be studying that question this winter in depth as one of the key players in the Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery, Henry Ford (pictured in the KGC-Brownwood photo) applied for and was granted the right to create a Knights of Pythias Lodge in Brownwood a few years before his death in 1910. I believe the meetings were held in the old Brooke Smith and Company Bankers building (1876) which I have provided photos of in other threads on this forum. It is the building with 10 iron five-pointed stars on the south side and five on the north side. Total of 15 stars which were one of the primary symbols of the KGC. 15 five-point stars is also significant in KGC tradition. Brooke Smith, you may remember from my earlier thread, was a boy when the KGC used his family's home as a meeting place during the War. He was from the north or "northwest" as it was called then. A few KGC researchers have stated that the KGC used more traditional societies' lodges to hold meetings in after the War ended so as not to draw attention to themselves.
I'm posting two photos of some envelopes from the Brooke Smith Bank. I recently acquired these for my collection.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• BrookeSmithandCompany1-reduced.jpg
    BrookeSmithandCompany1-reduced.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3,598
  • BrookeSmithandCompany2-reduced.jpg
    BrookeSmithandCompany2-reduced.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 3,341

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Jay,

In the graphic (post #9) I count 13 five-pointed stars on the crescent moon and it is a well known number.

Gary

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Gary, 13 was another significant number for the KGC. You will notice the postmark on the Brooke Smith envelopes. The flag also has only 13 stars. Remember, these were mailed just after the turn of the century.
~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions