Knives and lighters are almost always overpriced so I usually pass...

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but not yesterday! I hit a church rummage sale at 7:45 and picked some nice silver jewelry and odds & ends, then got this wonderful cleaver made by the Ontario Knife Company for $1 on my way out (banana for scale). It goes for $25-35 on eBay but this one's not going anywhere but my kitchen!

Afterwards I made my flea market rounds and happened upon a small pile of lighters, one of which was obviously silver. When I asked how much the seller wanted for them and he said two bucks each or two for $3 I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. The etched case isn't marked but tests good and is probably Italian 800 silver based on similar cases I found online. The "cartridge" appears to be the period Zippo lighter original to the case. The hubby is going to refurb the hinge pin assembly but my metals guy said to leave the rest untouched, no cleaning/polishing/anything as lighter fanatics will appreciate the untouched state. Some of these have sold for over $200. The other is a pristine vintage Champ with embossed leather overlay which was quickly claimed by my SO.

Attachments

• 1449400704140.jpg
    1449400704140.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 1449400717503.jpg
    1449400717503.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 1449400725992.jpg
    1449400725992.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 1449400737562.jpg
    1449400737562.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 1449400746414.jpg
    1449400746414.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 137

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need more time in the day to hit these yard sales apparently...Good Scores. Congrats!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about the lighter being Italian 800 silver. A reasonable price to expect would be around 70-75. The ones that sell for over $200 are usually silver with an enameled scene on it. I can't say exactly how old it is, but it is from prior to 1961 (at least the insert is) as the flint wheel has a hollow rivet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gib! I stick to BINs so I appreciate a realistic price, I'd much rather sell something in a timely manner than sit on overpriced inventory forever.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Not to steal your thread, but I sold this lighter yesterday:

Unfired 1962 Zippo Lighter Perkins Goodwin Co in Red Striped Box | eBay

It was a throw in at a yard sale this summer, I had only listed it about 24 hours before it sold. The real reason I am saying anything is because Zippos have a date code on the bottom.

Zippo : Date Codes

I am not the first to post this, I am sure I got it from this site, but it helped me make a good sale on the bay. This site is a treasure trove of information. Everybody has something to teach and add and I love learning from you all.

T.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the info, I will investigate further when I get home tonight.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date codes aren't going to help, they are on the bottom of Zippo cases, not on the cases made by others. You can get close to a date from the insert, but some of them stayed the same for years. Here's a site to help date an insert: Dating

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Date codes aren't going to help, they are on the bottom of Zippo cases, not on the cases made by others. You can get close to a date from the insert, but some of them stayed the same for years. Here's a site to help date an insert: Dating

Gib, yes that is true, but I didn't pass on or remind people of this info just for this particular Zippo, but for any future buys, for other people and just to say, "thank you" and give a head nod to all who have posted info on here.

T.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gib! I stick to BINs so I appreciate a realistic price, I'd much rather sell something in a timely manner than sit on overpriced inventory forever.

Great scores, kali. I certainly agree about not sitting on inventory forever (or even for a long time) BUT... you may be leaving significant money on the table. It has been my experience that sometimes items are bid up in an auction far above what I expected them to sell for. Especially for small items like these that don't take up a lot of room, it might be worth your while to list them auction-style for a week with a starting price at what you would list if for if you listed it Buy It Now and see what happens. Doing it this way you are no worse off but at least you have created the opportunity to make more on the sale. Best of luck whichever way go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread