2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This set was in a box lot at an auction today. I did not buy the box for this set but only paid $2.50 for the whole box and got a cool little wind chime for myself [emoji6]. Anyway, does anyone know what the writing says on the bottom and sides of these cups/tea pot? Thanks!! And the set was not washed before the pics so it's real dusty. The second pic is the bottom. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449372415.307700.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449372435.759449.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449372456.307815.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449372472.872839.jpg

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, 2M! I have a tough time reading when it's brushstroked like that, but I may see the character for 'heart' on the top right pic (the others I can't read without a book, lol.) The close-up on the bottom left is probably a chop mark.

Prospexian has the better advice.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your help! Can you tell if it's Japanese? Or Chinese?

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not from the writing itself. I'm not good enough for that, and Chinese and Japanese use nearly identical character sets. There are people who can tell at a glance from the style of the set whether it's Chinese or Japanese.

This does make me want to dig out my book, which contains some Chinese character info, too.

Top right means 'nine...'
Bottom right could mean 'order, rule.'
Bottom left, heart.
Top left...workin' on it.

That's if it's Japanese.

Last edited:

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
The second picture has the Kutani mark on the right. More than likely the writing on the left is the maker. It's a newer mark..probably from the 40-1960's from my guess. The older marks are little more elaborate. Nice set.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all your time and knowledge butter hat. I found a similar set on eBay with similar markings but didn't sell and they weren't asking for to much $$. I'll have to decide if I'll eBay it or put in our GS next spring. :)

Thanks Jason! Those dates makes sense and that gives me more to research before I list. I didn't see your post until after I posted this reply. (Hence the edit).

Last edited:

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bet would be a Japanese Green Tea set.

Japanese have 3 different characters sets. They share a comparable one (Konji) with the Chinese.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'chop mark' is sei, or shou, according to one kind of reading...meaning correct, proper. But it could also be a maker's name.

It's also translated in the other kind of reading as masa, and tadashii. Again, name/maker's mark?

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I've been super occupied with family stuff so haven't listed these yet--(that's what I like about eBay, I don't have to do it if life gets busy.). This info will be helpful. I will list as Japanese. I appreciate the shared knowledge!

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beautiful little set, and I could easily see someone wanting it just as you laid it out, for purely decorative purposes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread