Know of any good spots in Hemet, Riverside, San Diego, or Orange County?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Orange County but own some land out in Hemet (SLO too). Wondering if anybody has had any luck in that area. I have found a few flakes via panning, but that's it. Also, I frequent Riverside and San Diego. Maybe someone has some good tips for places to pan and/or MD. I would like to accompany or even start a trip out to the desert looking for some old mines. Any takers?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El

Research IS what I'm good at and I have had much luck with it. I have my own sites too but it couldn't hurt to ask around. Besides, I seriously doubt that everybody on this site is as selfish as you clearly seem to be. Exchanging thoughts, ideas, locations, and experiences is part of the fun of treasure hunting. Furthermore, if you're so confident that people won't give tips or advice, why are you on this site? Perhaps you should "do the research" and read some of the generous and kind postings from some of the people on here.

Good luck on your own.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
So... How you guys getting along?

LOL... Hey, I don't share my sites either... not my "special sites". But I'd sure as heck help someone research, pass on public spots that have been good to me, or maybe find a new spot for someone else to goto and try.

Research is half the fun to me... so I guard some spots carefully... it can be a lot of work!

BUT - if it's just helping someone new, heck, I can find a ton of possibilities for someone short of actually asking permission and hunting it myself.

Good luck to both of you.

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
Customx_12 --- Welcome.

I believe it's actually L.A. County, but if you are in to panning and sluicing, you can go up to the East fork of the San Gabriel River.

The old saying, "Go where gold has been found previously" is certainly true. And if they weren't finding it, they wouldn't be there EVERY DAY including weekdays. you will however have to purchase an "Adventure Pass" to park anywhere in the canyon. I buy an Annual pass at REI every year (about $30 / yr) but as you are going up Azusa Canyon the U.S. forestry folks will be there to gladly sell you a daily pass.

Take Hwy 39 / Azusa Ave up into the San Gabriel Mountains. About 15 miles from the starting point into the mountains you will come upon the East Fork bridge --- a big steel tresle bridge. The only way you can turn is to the right (or East). Go approximately 4 miles and you'll pass the now closed down/ locked "Follows Camp". Continue on the road another 2 miles or so and you'll pass Camp Williams. There's a Cafe there if you didn't bring anything with you. Keep going for about another mile and you'll see tents / campers etc all along the road --- this is it. As I said before, they wouldn't be there every day if they weren't finding anything.

I'd be very cautious about going there this weekend though. This canyon is noted for flash flooding! That's what closed Follows Camp down --- they would spend all the money to rebuild, then wham --- hit by another flash flood. There's a good chance of rain up there this weekend. If you're adventurous (foolish) then go on up --- personally, I'd wait a week or so and give the weather time to clear up. Good luck anyway.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Socalal,

I've heard about the East fork but have yet to venture up there myself. I'm actually supposed to go up on Sunday but didn't realize it is so prone to flash floods. I consider myself adventurous, but not to the point of risking my life in a location I'm not familiar with. As you said, that would be foolish.
I really should by a year pass, but do you happen to know how much they are for the day? Also, once I get to the campsite, should I just hike up along the river a few miles or is that blocked off or private property?

Thanks for the help!

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
It's only like $5 or $7 / day --- Depends upon whether its a Holiday weekend I believe. On Holiday weekends it is really pretty crowded. Best to get there by 8 or 9 in the morning. The forestry service has a tendency to close the road down to anyone else around noon on the busy weekends.

Once you get to where the tents and campers are, it's only 100 yards or so down to the river where the panning and sluicing is taking place. They're really a good group of people, just ask and they'll give you friendly advice.

It wouldn't hurt to just take a trip up there one weekend, check the place out, then plan to come back the next weekend. Like I said, Holiday weekends it gets pretty crowded up there.

--- Socalal

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One place I recall having fun down your way (not too far from Hemet) was in Pasadena/Riverside area. 9 or 10 yrs. ago, there were soooo many vacant homes in blighted neighborhoods, that I just went yard to yard. Got some silver, wheats, and a random barber, IH, etc.... Dunno if this is still the case today, but back then, seems there was a lot of "urban flight" to the suburbs, leaving older homes semi-abandoned. Seems that should even be more pronounced these days, with the mortgage crisis. For whatever reason, I just recall block after block where.... every 5th or 6th (a few per block) house was just sitting with no curtains, obvious abandoned, etc....

As for SLO (San Luis Obispo), there's lots of places around there! Just depends on what type site, and what type hunting you have in mind! If you have wickedly early stuff (mission era, adobes, etc...) then I have to agree with El: No ones giving up those sites. Reales are HARD to come by :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread