KY State Seal Button CACHE, Scabbard Tip, Saddle Decoration--a FINE Hunt!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Rodeo Recon and I got a chance to hit several great spots, and we finally got all the finds cleaned, ID'ed, and ready to post. It has taken a while. We did two hunts on the same property, and so now I'm posting both the first hunt and the return trip. (Yes, there will be yet another return trip after this cold snap breaks... :) ) Sorry for the lack of "action" photos--we were too busy diggin!

So here's the story. We are hunting a very old parcel of land for our area, and the jury is still out on whether or not we've found our target--the Oldest Structure built on that land. (Although we have found Two other house sites and a Mill in the last two hunts, and had a Lot of fun finding those :thumbsup: )

We first secured permission from the wonderful property owner (we've developed a great relationship with him and his sons--after hunting several other sites this summer and fall that he owned). Then we got out on the site. Looking at the deeds, census records, topo maps, plat maps, and other Top Secret Documents from the Buckleboy Files :wink: we got hunting. Here's a photo Rodeo snapped of me during his "briefing" before the hunt:

Buckles Surveys.jpg

We walked out into the middle of the 170 acre plot of land and started up on a knoll at one of the "target areas" I wanted to hit. After seeing some brick, pottery, and other items, we knew we should turn the machines on and take the bean field by storm. Flat buttons immediately started coming up--a Good sign. Here's a photo of one in the clod:

Flat Button In Dirt.jpg

We seemed to have walked ourselves into a little button patch. The buttons were everywhere. (It is unusual for us to dig more than a couple flat buttons per hunt, but this hunt we found 19 of them.) Pretty soon I dug a deep, iffy signal and out popped a "muffin-style" cuff button that I just *knew* would be a good one. Picking the button up, I could make out the motto from the Kentucky State Seal "United We Stand / Divided We Fall" shimmering in GOLD underneath the dirt. :o

Ky Cuff In Dirt.jpg

KY Cuff In Hand.jpg

After sharing the find with Rodeo, we kept at it--digging two IH's in the process. (These appear in the "uncleaned finds" photos--but they were given to the property owner, along with a Fine display case of items.) Here's one of those Fatties:

Flat Button In Dirt1.jpg

Pretty soon, I dug the back from a "muffin-style" coat button--then another, and I started to wonder if there were more intact State Seal buttons there waiting for us. Sure enough, I dug a Kentucky State Seal Coat button:

Ky Coat 1 In Hand.jpg

Then I got another back from one (front had disintegrated and was nowhere to be found). I'd now found a total of three partial KY Coat buttons, one complete coat button, and one cuff button. At this point I realized that the whole coat had been tossed out at some point, and had rotted, the buttons to be scattered around by the plow. :o The whole while, Rodeo was cleaning up on the flat buttons and other cool relics--including a nice intact Crotal Bell and a Colonial Era Barrel Tap.

About 15 minutes later, I dug a nice brass signal and saw this in the clod--yet another KY button. With this, my final KY button for the day, the total stood at Five Coat buttons and one Cuff button. ;D

KY Coat 2 In Dirt.jpg

KY Coat 2 In Hand.jpg

The finds in the button patch started to slack off a bit, so I circled around behind the site, following the ridge back toward the road, looking for the barn site. I've seen three late-date Indian Head Cents, a Two Cent Piece, and a CN Indian Head come from barn sites this year--and that's plenty reason for me to try and find the sites, dig through the iron and brass rivets, and find the relics and coins! Well, I got out there and found...no iron! So I circled back around the other way after taking this photo of Rodeo as a speck in the distance:

Rodeo In Field.jpg

Although we couldn't manage to find the barn (too much area and not enough time!), we thinned the site out considerably before we had to walk the half a mile back through the field to get Rodeo to work on time. I fanned out and dragged my feet a bit on leaving the site because I wanted to run a quick pattern through a few more "target areas" on the way back to the car. The first area I hit was a strikeout. No iron anywhere. The second area I hit--I started seeing brick! I heard Rodeo say "I'm going to the car to drop off the gear--meanwhile see if you can dig up a find!" I lit into that iron patch with a vengeance, since there were so many tiny pieces of brick in the field there it was like walking on a Brick Carpet. :o Sure enough, flat buttons started turning up. Rodeo ran back from the car swinging like a Rabid Alpaca, hoping to snag just one more find before leaving the site. We got a few more buttons with our last minutes there, and then I had to "bend" the speed limit a hair to get him to work on time. :-X

So here are the Barrel Tap, a Cool Pewter button with an "X" on it, and the Crotal Bell. (The rest of the story, and more good photos are in the first reply below...)

Barrel Tap.jpg

Pewter Button.jpg

Croatal Bell.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went back the next day bundled up in every layer we owned. The wind chill was in the 20s and not a bit of sunshine. Rodeo had a full head-covering that looked like chain mail, and with his Red hair I thought he looked like a Norse God. I was bundled up to the point that I couldn't hardly bend over to dig, and thankful for my headphones to keep the wind out. So as Thor and Odin, we marched right back out into the field where the brick was. We dug some more flat buttons, and I managed to dig Another Scabbard Tip (that's Three for the year now :) ) as well as the bottom of a very old Brass Stirrup. We pounded the site a bit, but the finds were very spread-out and thin, so we decided we needed more than two detectors to find the real hotspot. We continued hunting target areas, and managed to find ANOTHER house site on the property. Iron, Brick, and Pottery were welcome sights as the wind cut through us like knives. We managed to make a few finds at this new spot, but I could tell our concentration was not at 100% due to the discomfort of the conditions. A button or two turned up, and an unusually high number of parasol clips, but the star find of the day was the shield shaped Saddle Ornament that Rodeo found! It is listed as "Unknown Shield" in the book "Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War 1861-1865 by Stanley Phillips. The piece is stamped brass and lead-filled. :thumbsup:

No "action shots" this time. Just too danged cold to be fiddling with the camera.

So here are some photos of some of the finds from both hunts. Mine are pretty slim in the photos, because I gave a good bit to the property owner...and to be honest, the way that older gentleman looked like a kid on Christmas Morning was the Real Find for me. It made my week. :) Rodeo's finds from the first day's hunt (fourth photo down) will give you an idea of what I found.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

...oh, and we found a little iron too

9.jpg

Best Wishes to You,

Buckleboy

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post! Boy those buttons turned out nice! Ky buttons are rare. You guys are on to a nice site. Congrats and hammer that site!
Mike

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
WOW!!!! I dream of having a hunt that good.
Hell, I dream of find ONE button that nice!
The iron pile.......there I've been. ;D
Congratulations on a great hunt and a pile of
spectacular finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stormfighter

Mar 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
DFX
Spectacular hunt! The chill is coming to the northeast but we have trees and hills to slow the wind down a bit.That is an awsome pile of iron.We have a lot where Treasurediggr and I hunt. I guess we will have to start pulling more of it it out to get to even more goodies. Great post also.
DAN

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go guys!!! Great post BB. I felt like I was right there freezing with you guys. ;D
That is an amazing amount of buttons for sure. :o That KY button with the gold is a super find indeed.
Congrats to Rodeo on that star shield piece. Very cool find.
I bet the owner LOVES when you guys show up. :wink: Very nice of you to give some of your finds to him. :thumbsup:
Please tell me you didn't haul all that iron out from just a few hunts. :icon_scratch: Do you take a mule with you? :wink:
-MM-

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds,I have never found a State seal button and glad to see there may be some still out there.
It's hard to keep that Metal detector at home when you have research like that in your mind,knowing that your next best find may be just waiting for you to come look for it,no matter how the weather is.

Nova Treasure

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB...looks like you found an awesome site, and those buttons cleaned up real nice...Congrats!! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buttons cleaned up nice. That's a HUGE pile of iron there. About a years worth for me. Congrats and HH..........Hogge

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RuledByTheMoon30 said:
wow great digs! That last pic though, geez what a pile of scrap.

Yup...proof positive that he practices what he preaches and digs EVERY signal... :thumbsup:
And all the sweet finds he made shows why it is a good thing to do!!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful buttons man! The end of 2008 is approaching and I can't wait to see pics of your total finds for this year.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds that you guys recovered!!! As Nick P. would say, "Those Buttons Rock!!". Saddle shields are hard to find in that condition. Great finds and you dug enough scrap iron to pay for your gas. WTG!!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr.Jody said:
:o man thats alot of iron...lol
You guys up north look like you would have one hell of a time digging through that dirt, clay?

There is some clay to the ground, but more than anything I think the camera makes the dirt look like dirty cheese. :P

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Way to go guys!!! Great post BB. I felt like I was right there freezing with you guys. ;D
That is an amazing amount of buttons for sure. :o That KY button with the gold is a super find indeed.
Congrats to Rodeo on that star shield piece. Very cool find.
I bet the owner LOVES when you guys show up. :wink: Very nice of you to give some of your finds to him. :thumbsup:
Please tell me you didn't haul all that iron out from just a few hunts. :icon_scratch: Do you take a mule with you? :wink:
-MM-

We do have a pack mule. His name is Kindafoundabuckle. :D

It was really touching to see the property owner that into what we do. He is a detectorist at heart--and we Will get him out there sooner or later with a detector in his hand. He continues to this day to put us on site after site, because he is so interested in what we will find next.

The iron pictured is from the last Five hunts. I don't know if we'll break a Ton of iron this year, but we'll have at least 750 pounds by the end of the year.

-Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nova treasure said:
Excellent finds,I have never found a State seal button and glad to see there may be some still out there.
It's hard to keep that Metal detector at home when you have research like that in your mind,knowing that your next best find may be just waiting for you to come look for it,no matter how the weather is.

Nova Treasure

Well said. Perfect, in fact.

Mainedigger said:
RuledByTheMoon30 said:
wow great digs! That last pic though, geez what a pile of scrap.

Yup...proof positive that he practices what he preaches and digs EVERY signal... :thumbsup:
And all the sweet finds he made shows why it is a good thing to do!!

You're right. Every hunt I have at least one Good find that was masked by iron--sometimes two. Three hunts ago, it was a Coin that was masked! Experiencing that will make anyone want to dig it all.

Kiros32 said:
Beautiful buttons man! The end of 2008 is approaching and I can't wait to see pics of your total finds for this year.

Thank you so much Kiros. We're thinking of doing a 13-month wrap up--beginning of Dec. '07 to end of Dec. '08. (That's how long the Iron Brigade has been together. :)) I promise you, it WILL be a Beautiful post. The way it's going, it will take me a while to even round everything up for the pics.

It's early still--we have 40 days in 2008 to hunt--and there will be a Great find or two yet.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread