KY State Seal Button CACHE, Scabbard Tip, Saddle Decoration--a FINE Hunt!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Rodeo Recon and I got a chance to hit several great spots, and we finally got all the finds cleaned, ID'ed, and ready to post. It has taken a while. We did two hunts on the same property, and so now I'm posting both the first hunt and the return trip. (Yes, there will be yet another return trip after this cold snap breaks... :) ) Sorry for the lack of "action" photos--we were too busy diggin!

So here's the story. We are hunting a very old parcel of land for our area, and the jury is still out on whether or not we've found our target--the Oldest Structure built on that land. (Although we have found Two other house sites and a Mill in the last two hunts, and had a Lot of fun finding those :thumbsup: )

We first secured permission from the wonderful property owner (we've developed a great relationship with him and his sons--after hunting several other sites this summer and fall that he owned). Then we got out on the site. Looking at the deeds, census records, topo maps, plat maps, and other Top Secret Documents from the Buckleboy Files :wink: we got hunting. Here's a photo Rodeo snapped of me during his "briefing" before the hunt:

Buckles Surveys.jpg

We walked out into the middle of the 170 acre plot of land and started up on a knoll at one of the "target areas" I wanted to hit. After seeing some brick, pottery, and other items, we knew we should turn the machines on and take the bean field by storm. Flat buttons immediately started coming up--a Good sign. Here's a photo of one in the clod:

Flat Button In Dirt.jpg

We seemed to have walked ourselves into a little button patch. The buttons were everywhere. (It is unusual for us to dig more than a couple flat buttons per hunt, but this hunt we found 19 of them.) Pretty soon I dug a deep, iffy signal and out popped a "muffin-style" cuff button that I just *knew* would be a good one. Picking the button up, I could make out the motto from the Kentucky State Seal "United We Stand / Divided We Fall" shimmering in GOLD underneath the dirt. :o

Ky Cuff In Dirt.jpg

KY Cuff In Hand.jpg

After sharing the find with Rodeo, we kept at it--digging two IH's in the process. (These appear in the "uncleaned finds" photos--but they were given to the property owner, along with a Fine display case of items.) Here's one of those Fatties:

Flat Button In Dirt1.jpg

Pretty soon, I dug the back from a "muffin-style" coat button--then another, and I started to wonder if there were more intact State Seal buttons there waiting for us. Sure enough, I dug a Kentucky State Seal Coat button:

Ky Coat 1 In Hand.jpg

Then I got another back from one (front had disintegrated and was nowhere to be found). I'd now found a total of three partial KY Coat buttons, one complete coat button, and one cuff button. At this point I realized that the whole coat had been tossed out at some point, and had rotted, the buttons to be scattered around by the plow. :o The whole while, Rodeo was cleaning up on the flat buttons and other cool relics--including a nice intact Crotal Bell and a Colonial Era Barrel Tap.

About 15 minutes later, I dug a nice brass signal and saw this in the clod--yet another KY button. With this, my final KY button for the day, the total stood at Five Coat buttons and one Cuff button. ;D

KY Coat 2 In Dirt.jpg

KY Coat 2 In Hand.jpg

The finds in the button patch started to slack off a bit, so I circled around behind the site, following the ridge back toward the road, looking for the barn site. I've seen three late-date Indian Head Cents, a Two Cent Piece, and a CN Indian Head come from barn sites this year--and that's plenty reason for me to try and find the sites, dig through the iron and brass rivets, and find the relics and coins! Well, I got out there and found...no iron! So I circled back around the other way after taking this photo of Rodeo as a speck in the distance:

Rodeo In Field.jpg

Although we couldn't manage to find the barn (too much area and not enough time!), we thinned the site out considerably before we had to walk the half a mile back through the field to get Rodeo to work on time. I fanned out and dragged my feet a bit on leaving the site because I wanted to run a quick pattern through a few more "target areas" on the way back to the car. The first area I hit was a strikeout. No iron anywhere. The second area I hit--I started seeing brick! I heard Rodeo say "I'm going to the car to drop off the gear--meanwhile see if you can dig up a find!" I lit into that iron patch with a vengeance, since there were so many tiny pieces of brick in the field there it was like walking on a Brick Carpet. :o Sure enough, flat buttons started turning up. Rodeo ran back from the car swinging like a Rabid Alpaca, hoping to snag just one more find before leaving the site. We got a few more buttons with our last minutes there, and then I had to "bend" the speed limit a hair to get him to work on time. :-X

So here are the Barrel Tap, a Cool Pewter button with an "X" on it, and the Crotal Bell. (The rest of the story, and more good photos are in the first reply below...)

Barrel Tap.jpg

Pewter Button.jpg

Croatal Bell.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your kind replies! :thumbsup:

The iron for the most part went to the recycling. The axe head there was broken, otherwise it would've been saved. A few pieces were picked out. We have a Lot of relic cooking to do on a cold, winter day--and I mean, a LOT. ::)

Seems like iron just grows, and grows--and the next thing you know, you turn around and you have 8 iron Stirrups and 6 old Padlocks and a bunch of other stuff to cook...

kindafoundabuckle said:
When you going to find the other cuff button..............fingers!

KFB

KFB--we are going to find the other cuff buttons, and you are going with us--on Tuesday!

Go ahead and take the afternoon off! We leave at 11am. HB, Rodeo, Brandi, Myself, and You. Hitting that site, the mill site, and the other house site. It will be COLD, so bundle up. And if they won't let ya off work, we'll stop by and kidnap you!

-Buckles

Button Insanity at it's best! That's got to be the most I've seen anyone find yet - what an incredible day you guys had. Lookin' forward to seeing what other mountain of goodies y'all pull outta' there... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy said:
Thank you all for your kind replies! :thumbsup:

The iron for the most part went to the recycling. The axe head there was broken, otherwise it would've been saved. A few pieces were picked out. We have a Lot of relic cooking to do on a cold, winter day--and I mean, a LOT. ::)

Seems like iron just grows, and grows--and the next thing you know, you turn around and you have 8 iron Stirrups and 6 old Padlocks and a bunch of other stuff to cook...

kindafoundabuckle said:
When you going to find the other cuff button..............fingers!

KFB

KFB--we are going to find the other cuff buttons, and you are going with us--on Tuesday!

Go ahead and take the afternoon off! We leave at 11am. HB, Rodeo, Brandi, Myself, and You. Hitting that site, the mill site, and the other house site. It will be COLD, so bundle up. And if they won't let ya off work, we'll stop by and kidnap you!

-Buckles

No fair! I want to go.
Newt

Nice finds. Takes a lot of junk to make a good find. Congrats......

Hey Buckle,

I was looking at your Iron pile and is that a old axe blade to the right of your foot? It sure looks like one to me. Just wondering. Looks like you had a.......Field Day! HAHAHA nice job!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Gypsy Heart said:
Great job on everything! But that pile of rusty junk just stole my heart!

:-*

Steve in Michigan said:
Hey Buckle,

I was looking at your Iron pile and is that a old axe blade to the right of your foot? It sure looks like one to me. Just wondering. Looks like you had a.......Field Day! HAHAHA nice job!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Yes, it is a broken axe head.  There is also a pair of iron shears/scissors on the far upper left (broken) and a gurtle cinch from a horse on the right (at least that's what I call it--the strap that goes under the belly of the horse and this buckle used to cinch it up tight).  Then there are several singletree pieces, including a hook or two, plus the horseshoes and the iron rings from more horse tack.  Then there's the plow pieces and farming-related iron items, like the all too familiar triangular-shaped iron "teeth" from the reapers and whole discs from the disc attachment...  Then there are the whatzits like the iron stakes (which are not picket pins, unfortunately...), and the broken iron tools like the axe you mentioned, awls, wood rasps, and metal files (all broken), and a broken hammer and hoe head too.  I think we also got a buggy suspension spring or two. Then there are the various assorted cast iron stove pieces and cooking pot fragments. 

So that's the grand tour of the Iron.  Most of it is just junk.  And most of it went to be recycled.  I keep the cool iron goodies.  :)

Great Hunt and pictures :thumbsup: you sure dug a lot of iron :icon_scratch: is there a reason for this or are some of the more important items made from iron, if I dug all the iron over here I would never find enything ;D that's why it's egnored unless it's really deep.

tyre kicker said:
Great Hunt and pictures :thumbsup: you sure dug a lot of iron :icon_scratch: is there a reason for this or are some of the more important items made from iron, if I dug all the iron over here I would never find enything ;D that's why it's egnored unless it's really deep.

Big iron masks targets. Place a tiny hammered silver on top of a big iron axe head and see what your detector reads. :wink:

BuckleBoy said:
tyre kicker said:

Big iron masks targets. Place a tiny hammered silver on top of a big iron axe head and see what your detector reads. :wink:

I understand both points of view on this one. I have dug a complete horse shoe next to a gold sovereign (well Dad got the gold but I cleared the iron :thumbsup: ). I totally understand TK's approach & he is a great detectorist, specially at sniffing out good areas & it would not be practical for him to clear all the iron with his attack plan. I have a more complex approach (I think), but its based on time & how much of a window I have to clear the iron. Generally I hit the same fields year after year & each time I get more carefull & more picky with the Disc getter lower each year until a site is nearly cleared of every iron nail & tiny piece of lead. That's when I know I have a good field, when finding a good field or area my approach changes again.

In theory clearing all the iron is the right way to go. However in the UK, the 'purist' iron clearing approach would mean that you would end up with less good finds than those that didn't, & there is plenty of competition to cherry pick before & after you. You would however end up with the most impressive iron collection in a short time & would need to hire a skip pretty quickly. So you could make a bit of money with a lot of effort. In summary, pocket full of treasure or skip load of iron. There is a balance, but its an individual preference.

BuckleBoy said:
tyre kicker said:

The Goldmaxx Power I use will still pick out the hammered no matter how much Iron was near it, all I would have to do is turn up the iron volume and the detector would pick up both targets , one would just give a buzz(iron) the hammered would come through a sweat two way tone, this is why the Goldmaxx is one of the most popular detectors in the UK for it's ability to pick out the good targets from heavily contaminated (iron) sites, hence it's knickname Hammered Hoover, the Goldmaxx has the fastest recovery of any detector on the market operating at 18khz, here's one for you BB line up six Silver coins all in a line close to each other and see how many your detector can pick up on one fast sweep :icon_scratch: the Goldmaxx can pick up all of them no matter how fast you make the sweep :wink:

tyre kicker said:
BuckleBoy said:
tyre kicker said:

The Goldmaxx Power I use will still pick out the hammered no matter how much Iron was near it, all I would have to do is turn up the iron volume and the detector would pick up both targets , one would just give a buzz(iron) the hammered would come through a sweat two way tone, this is why the Goldmaxx is one of the most popular detectors in the UK for it's ability to pick out the good targets from heavily contaminated (iron) sites, hence it's knickname Hammered Hoover, the Goldmaxx has the fastest recovery of any detector on the market operating at 18khz, here's one for you BB line up six Silver coins all in a line close to each other and see how many your detector can pick up on one fast sweep :icon_scratch: the Goldmaxx can pick up all of them no matter how fast you make the sweep :wink:

:o :o mine only got between 1 and 2 and they were 3 inches appart! what a piece of crap!!!

and thats just given my misses the ump now :'(

YOU ARE THE MAN.GREAT FINDS. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back