Labor Day finds/2nd time out with the Excal.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Was able to get out for awhile this Labor day.I decided to try the Excalibur on the closest thing I have to a "Honey Hole".Its a small area on an inland lake where, around the turn of the century, loggers staged thier lumber before floating it down the river.Since then it has been a convenient lake access spot.I was in the shallows for probably four hours and dug my arse off.Most of the targets were in the 8-14" range.The large iron pieces were close to 2'.As you can see I found the usual handful of clad.I also came up with two silver quarters, (45 and 59d),a 44P nickle,a 15plain nickle,a 45d Merc, and 12 wheats from 40 up.The other coin size pieces are a toy nickle with a clown face on it, and an old brass button.There are three rings.One pewter, one brass with costume stones, and one 10k wedding band.Found alot of gun brass.The large round with the lead intact is a W.R.A.45-60.That thing had to have packed a hell of a whollop,its huge!There is also an old lipstick and a silver plated cologne top and some other misc.The large iron pin is a connecting pin for the narrow guage rail cars used by the loggers.I actually found two of these but gave one to the folks at the local Historical Villiage.The other large pyramid shaped piece Im not sure about.probably a bouy or decoy weight...real crude...hand forged.Well ....thats my story for now but as I was leaving, in a remote area just south of town,where a forest fire had cleared a section of state forest this spring, I noticed a funny line in the devastated landscape.I had to stop and trudge accross the burnt area with my IDX in hand .When I got to the area that just didnt look quite right I put er to the ground and sure enough ...a mini(narrow guage) railroad spike jumped out at me.After 40+ years of visiting this area I knew this was here but never knew where!These type of railroads are cool because they dont have all of the typical slag and trash you associate with railroads.I plan on spending some time there in the future.Hopefully it will turn up some good stories......H.H. to all....JO

Attachments

• Photo0002.jpg
    Photo0002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 256
  • h2oexcal.jpg
    h2oexcal.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice site, jopher! Sounds like there's a ton of stuff just waiting for you there! Happy Hunting!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice day worth of old coins.

HH Jer

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thought Id add this pic....This is a narrow guage logging train at work .The pic was taken in 1882 very near the area I discovered this weekend.Im told the key to finding goodies along these old tracks is to search in areas where the surrounding elevation is fairly level with the rail grade.This would be the spots where the logs would most likely have been loaded. ......JO

Attachments

• Photo0002.jpg
    Photo0002.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 124

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jopher,

nice artifacts and coins;

sound like an interesting place. Should be good for even more finds.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions