Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First time to the beach in a week and thinking I would find everything left from Labor Day weekend. I guess someone got the good stuff before me but I had fun anyway.

At first I thought the Indian Chief was Sterling until I cleaned it. Anyway I ended up with some Silver and a free car wash token.

Attachments

• IMG_5971.JPG
    IMG_5971.JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5972.JPG
    IMG_5972.JPG
    664.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5974.JPG
    IMG_5974.JPG
    729.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5975.JPG
    IMG_5975.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
You found a lot of coins which means there could be gold or silver rings. Hope you get gold on your next outing.

Are you sure the Indian ring isn't silver? A lot of the longer lost silver I find looks just like that when it comes out of the water. I've even found them when they've been in the saltwater so long they either crumble or turn to black mush in the electrolysis.

I hunted 5 hrs today, only dug 9 targets all afternoon.....3 pieces of silver and a 10k man's white gold band. Nobody gets it all, it just appears that way sometimes. It's just that the sand and competition is making it very tough out there right now.....like Les said, you found quite a few coins so I doubt that all the good stuff has been picked over. Looking at how crusted over that Indian ring is and the fact that you were finding tarnished coins, and especially nickels, makes me certain of it. Keep the faith - you just posted more good targets then I've hit on in my last three hunts combined. :thumbsup:

I would have thought that ring was silver too...Ive found some that looked that crusty.

Are you sure the Indian ring isn't silver? A lot of the longer lost silver I find looks just like that when it comes out of the water. I've even found them when they've been in the saltwater so long they either crumble or turn to black mush in the electrolysis.

I hunted 5 hrs today, only dug 9 targets all afternoon.....3 pieces of silver and a 10k man's white gold band. Nobody gets it all, it just appears that way sometimes. It's just that the sand and competition is making it very tough out there right now.....like Les said, you found quite a few coins so I doubt that all the good stuff has been picked over. Looking at how crusted over that Indian ring is and the fact that you were finding tarnished coins, and especially nickels, makes me certain of it. Keep the faith - you just posted more good targets then I've hit on in my last three hunts combined. :thumbsup:

I don't think the Indian is Silver it's very ruff, but it does have stones in the eyes. I found it in shallow water deep under a grass bed maybe 10 to 12 inches. It was hidden in that muddy gray plastic like crap below the roots. That would be great if it was Silver I just don't know how to test it.

I would have thought that ring was silver too...Ive found some that looked that crusty.

I hope your right, Is there a test for ruff crusty crappy looking things that you thought were Silver and still might be??

Here is a closer photo, if its not Silver I'm ok with it but it would be nice.

IMG_5979.JPG

I got a ring thats the same material in the bowl of junk rings now im wondering yeah that will be nice if its silver ! Awesome hunt!

Here is a closer photo, if its not Silver I'm ok with it but it would be nice.

View attachment 857902

I'm betting it's silver. You can go online and research "how to make a simple electrolysis bath" and you can be up and running in no time with a few simple items you have around the house. Electrolysis will quickly remove all that crusty build up. Just put it in for short periods at a time until it's all off, say a couple of minutes at a time. If you're running too much voltage and leave it in too long old silver can actually begin to crumble. :thumbsup:

I think you guys might be right but I won't know for sure until my Silver testing solution gets here.

This is him after 2 one minute salt baths at 4.5 volts.

Indian Chief after 2 minute  bath.JPG

I think you guys might be right but I won't know for sure until my Silver testing solution gets here.

This is him after 2 one minute salt baths at 4.5 volts.

View attachment 858287

Just be sure you put the "tiny test drop" on the back of the ring. I don't use the stone when I test for silver because it will leave surface evidence. Just find a clean area on the back of the ring and use a toothpick to place a tiny drop of the solution on the back of the ring. Betting it screams SILVER! Rinse the solution off as soon as it turns colors. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back