When Are You To Old To Fight The Surf?

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hit bobby pin beach at low tide today. Beautiful weather and a good crowd on the beach. Headed out into the surf that wasn't too rough. However I noticed the strong undertow. This beach has a sandbar and numerous low spots and high spots. After sometime in chest high water I was working my way back in. That's when I stepped in a hole that was really deep. Once my left leg went in I was doing a balancing act like tight rope walker. That's when I got hit with a giant wave as I was falling. I let the scoop go because I didn't want to get cut. But the heavy wooden handle speared me in the side as I went under. Then another wave and the scoop handle was still there and whacked me in the head. Once I got out I was moving in another direction and passed the two lifeguards. The one I have seen in the past says we gave you a 10. When are you too old???

NEVER

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 55, in the surf all the time, and I have to admit, lately I've been putting a limit on myself and here it is; "if the surf conditions don't allow for comfortable, safe, and enjoyable hunting then why bother with it?" On the other hand, now that I'm thinking about it, I just realized I could just as easily suffer heat exhaustion and experience a life ending stroke while hunting the dry sand....so now I'm suddenly sitting here and I no longer know which one of the two is the safest for me. Heck, is metal detecting even safe for me now? THANKS A BUNCH FOR YOUR THOUGHT PROVOKING QUESTION! :laughing7: (Glad you came out of the water ok. :thumbsup:)

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
I'm 55, in the surf all the time, and I have to admit, lately I've been putting a limit on myself and here it is; "if the surf conditions don't allow for comfortable, safe, and enjoyable hunting then why bother with it?" On the other hand, now that I'm thinking about it, I just realized I could just as easily suffer heat exhaustion and experience a life ending stroke while hunting the dry sand....so now I'm suddenly sitting here and I no longer know which one of the two is the safest for me. Heck, is metal detecting even safe for me now? THANKS A BUNCH FOR YOUR THOUGHT PROVOKING QUESTION! :laughing7: (Glad you came out of the water ok. :thumbsup:)

Crap I'm 59 and you got me thinking........ Ok I'm not going to let that stop me..... it's to much fun not know knowing what you will find next.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never Give UP! However, it really helps to stay quite physically Fit!! I will be 70 this coming April and I still backpack with an 85 lb starting weight pack for a two week trip. I MUST therefore stay fit or the darn pack will kill me when it drives me into the ground!....................63bkpkr

Oh, nice job getting out of that predicament, did you manage to keep the scoop? How are the ribs? Better I hope!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your too old to fight the surf when you have to ask. :laughing7:

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Saved the scoop, sunglasses,baseball cap, and of course the detector. I recently hit 60 only issue is a bad left knee.

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
The best thing about the surf is when you gotta go , you just go. No running up the beach 200 yards to use the head.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 65 and still in the surf...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I just hit the 75 year. Am I too old?
You better believe it.
A few years go I had a few episodes that I would really have a problem with today.
The wet is keeping me happy nowadays.

Ralph

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 56 and 3/4....and I still go in the water, (at least when I was in Florida) gotta find water area's here in Wyoming. I'll know when it's time to quit the water and keep to the dirt. :laughing7: Boy oh boy..... I'll be 57 years young in November! Life is Good :occasion14:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a key to dealing with the surf, especially when the going is rather rough..........."Singing!" That's right, on those days when you feel like the tennis ball in a championship hard court final you just have to sing your way through it. In the past few years I've coined a few new melodies that are sure to become hits and then timeless classics, songs like, "Slam Me Again Baby" - "Oh Crap! Here's Comes Another" - and my personal favorite, "Things Sure Is Swell Out Here". So the next time you feel like the surf is about to break you.....just start singing yourself a little tune. You'll be surprised just how much in rhythm you and the surf will become. :thumbsup:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 56 and 3/4....and I still go in the water, (at least when I was in Florida) gotta find water area's here in Wyoming. I'll know when it's time to quit the water and keep to the dirt. :laughing7: Boy oh boy..... I'll be 57 years young in November! Life is Good :occasion14:

I like your attitude...."Life is Good!" I can tell you're a positive thinker, never looking back, always looking forward to the new day ahead. Life is just an adventure, 365 days a year filled with all types of treasure hunts. :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I do think most of us know are limit but when your digging treasure it sure is hard to walk away.....mine is about 30 minutes to 1 hour in the ocean, and 6 in the Bay. After that I will leave or do the wet....The Surf Gods of the Mid Atlantic States are not forgiving

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I do think most of us know are limit but when your digging treasure it sure is hard to walk away.....mine is about 30 minutes to 1 hour in the ocean, and 6 in the Bay. After that I will leave or do the wet....The Surf Gods of the Mid Atlantic States are not forgiving

Amen!!

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a wheel chair to my canes , I'm a fish outta water with five operations in the last 3 yrs ,I'm a bionic man they rebuilt me. Huntin in water saved my life, every swing squeeze the stomach in take my time & I feel stronger every day, none of my clothes fit me anymore, pain I got it but the water takes it away, I do and feel better in the water, when water is ruff & rippin I call it the day and get some lunch !, I'm 50 with hair long past my shoulders and a "TRUE PIRATE" grew up in a family of fisherman on the salt since I was baby on a boat for a livin, learn how to swim by getting thrown in the water when I was child from the dock. One Man on here has taught me about "THE CODE" and making this hobby look good, True inspiration, who we all know. if I can return a piece of jewelry I will and if I have to stop huntin to find some ones jewelry I do, and have been blessed from it. How could you ever be to old to jump into salt when its is all you've ever known. I take Nana To the beach a couple times a month and she swims , Guess how old ???? 91 !!!, of course I help her in and out H.H. C apt. !

Last edited:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to jump a wave as it hit me, I did a double flip in the air and landed in the bottom where I could see the sky above me through the water above. Lost my hat, head phones were stertched and I had to find my scoop. Luckily my detector stayed attached to the cuff on my arm. Called it a day after that. I am 73 years young.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Im 43 had back surgery due to a sandbar slam when I was 20 I feel detecting has greatly improved my health to where I am waiting for the next chest headhigh swell. The only problem is im gonna wanna swing the cut instead of smacking a lip. Its all good im close to beach swinging and greenin in same day

diggingcrazy

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read all the replys asking when your too old to det the surf Im 73 and still swinging going to try det the surf next week are we all nuts lol

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be 79 in a few months and still manage 5 to 7 hrs with all that wieght. I get in and I don't want to get out. Then my wife wonders why I'm so hungry and sleep so well. This hobby is better then the gym, at least it is for me. Sure! My mind wonders. It happens to all of us. At least we're doing something. Keep swinging and good luck to all!

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh. Love all "the lifer's". Active and enduring, isn't it great? We take our knocks, heal up and go right back at it!!!!Proud of you all! :notworthy: :occasion14:
And who goes camping and fishing??? I do, and now I am about to learn fly fishing! I already love to ice fish. "Woot" for me! And I do believe there are more adventure's along the way. Yes i do

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread