Labor Day Luck?

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Good luck! I'm headed to two banks today myself. Walmart branches open here today!!!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck easy, no hunting for me today. Boxes start tomorrow. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck easy, no hunting for me today. Boxes start tomorrow. HH, Maverick.

You didn't stock up for the long weekend? I try to make sure I always have something to go through if I get bored. Caught up on my pennies last night. Saved the nickels for today

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You didn't stock up for the long weekend? I try to make sure I always have something to go through if I get bored. Caught up on my pennies last night. Saved the nickels for today

I had a busy week this week, had 4 boxes of halves on friday but I can't let them sit and do one everyday, I'm weak, I have to tear through them the same day I get them, no matter how many I end up getting, lol. Today's the Wifeys Bday, so we will be going out all day here shortly. I have 4 half boxes coming in tomorrow, so we'll have a night of searchin tomorrow, hopfully a dream box for the Bday girl!, HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Labor Day results are in!

Not Epic boxs but not too bad:

Box-1= pre1960s- 23
Buffalo - 1(no date)

Box-2= pre1960's- 28
War nicks- 3 (1942) x3

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the Labor Day results are in!

Not Epic boxs but not too bad:

Box-1= pre1960s- 23
Buffalo - 1(no date)

Box-2= pre1960's- 28
War nicks- 3 (1942) x3

Are you going to Nic-a-Date the buff?

Or soak it in vinegar?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course.....as soon as someone tells me how? I have some vinegar in the cupboard. Will that work?

Yes, it will. If you want it to go quicker, you can stir some salt in it, but that's a little more abrasive, so it could damage the coin if you aren't going to check on it much. If you want, you can just soak it in vinegar overnight and check it. Just put the coin in a little cup or bowl and pour in enough vinegar to cover the coin.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it will. If you want it to go quicker, you can stir some salt in it, but that's a little more abrasive, so it could damage the coin if you aren't going to check on it much. If you want, you can just soak it in vinegar overnight and check it. Just put the coin in a little cup or bowl and pour in enough vinegar to cover the coin.

How long do I leave it? Or how long till the date usually shows? I'm gonna do it right now.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How long do I leave it? Or how long till the date usually shows? I'm gonna do it right now.

It depends on how rubbed it is. If I do it in salt and vinegar, it only takes a few hours to a day. I've heard of people leaving dateless buffs in vinegar for weeks. You'll start to see a date eventually though.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how rubbed it is. If I do it in salt and vinegar, it only takes a few hours to a day. I've heard of people leaving dateless buffs in vinegar for weeks. You'll start to see a date eventually though.

Cool, thanks. It may take a bit. The coin is heavily worn...

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, thanks. It may take a bit. The coin is heavily worn...

If you are going to search more nickels, the Nic-a-Date may be the best investment, at $7.97 a bottle, it lasts a very, very, very, very, VERY long time. It's much quicker too.

Update me with the date and mint mark when you get them! :)

- DS

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
If you are going to search more nickels, the Nic-a-Date may be the best investment, at $7.97 a bottle, it lasts a very, very, very, very, VERY long time. It's much quicker too.

Update me with the date and mint mark when you get them! :)

- DS

Ok, I will. Thanks

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I will. Thanks

No problem, buddy. Hope it's an old one. I've never gotten a dateless that was after 1920. I have gotten a 1913, a 1915, 2 1916s, and a 1919. I have a full date 1920 and 1927 I've gotten from nickel hunting, so hopefully it's something good. :)

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1918!!! It just started showing after sitting in vinegar for what 6 days? Now if I can get a mint mark to show ill be looking good. Terrible placement on the date and mint mark huh? Lol

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does soaking buffalo nickels in vinegar ruin the coin? i know nic-a-date is worse... thanks! and congrats on the 1918!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does soaking buffalo nickels in vinegar ruin the coin? i know nic-a-date is worse... thanks! and congrats on the 1918!

I'm sure it doesn't help but it just turned a .35 dateless into a 2.50+ coin. :D

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow $0.35 dateless?? my coin dealer will only pay $0.06 for a dateless buffalo and $0.10 for a full date... they are real cheap-os

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions