Labor day nugget

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Went out along the American river Labor day with my wife and brought along my trusty minelab GP3000. Had a nice walk got rained on a little bit and it felt good. Found some bedrock and got to detecting it, hit a pc of square nail right off the start and then a 22 shell. Made it further up and had a good mellow target, cleared off the top layer with my pick and found bedrock under 10" of gravels. In a small gas pocket in the bedrock small rocks and sand had filled in a void so I cleaned it out and at the very bottom was this little nugget laying on edge. I pulled it out popped it in the mouth and called my wife over to check out her new pendant. We did a nice happy dance on the spot and couldent stop smiling all the way home, heck I have had a gold high all week!! Weight on the gold flickers from 2.9-3.0 grams.

Attachments

• DSC04424.JPG
    DSC04424.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC04420.JPG
    DSC04420.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC04419.JPG
    DSC04419.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff Bro....you sure have been gettin' em lately....can't wait to get my P.I.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooooh! Awhhh!

Ooooh, the first view of "the Nugget"

Awhhh, "called the wife over to look at her new Pendant"

Marvelous conclusion to a great time out along the banks of "The American" and a wonderful day with the wife!

Pv.... I mean Goldwasher, I concur with your comments about a new PI unit. I am also waiting for the introduction as well as the reaction to it from other companies............................63bkpkr

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did your machine go off? Or did you just think it would be a good spot for a piece to sit? Good find though!!!

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice nugget! I'm hoping to find my first nugget detecting on Sunday! Quick prayer to the god of oro...

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice nugget! Pretty dreamy!

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Thanks For the nice replies.

Yes Taternut, the detector sounded off nice over the au target.

Good luck hunting those nuggets!! More gold than lead to you all!!

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WTG Gravelwasher... you and the GP3000 seem to be getting along just fine these days!! :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hello Jim, Hope you have been doing well and finding some nice targets to dig!! I have made a very strong bond with the GP3000. It all started after falling down and bending the GP3000's shaft a little, tried to straiten it out but it's bent just enough to not collapse any more. Must be helping as I have hit au with it each weekend since it happened..lol On the other hand I have been putting in more time with detecting and leaving the sluice at home, I think I am finally getting the hang of this detecting stuff. Just like anything else practice, practice and more practice. Good luck to you all and hope your dig ends with some shine.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gravelwasher... if it takes a bent shaft to find gold then maybe I should give mine a whack with the rock hammer and see what happens. Any advantage is welcome here!!:)

The wife and I just returned from a two week trip to Quebec gold country. Most of our time was spent exploring the area when it wasn't raining. The last few days we finally got around to some prospecting and we found one very tiny gold picker. I was quite pleased about it, and the wife just gave me that half-amused wife-type smile that always makes me feel good. It's just too small to bother attempting a photo, but geez... I guess you could say we're confirmed goldhunters now!!!

I learned something important this past trip. There is no getting away from the undeniable allure of uncovering gleaming yeller gold in its natural state.

Well that's it for now. We're headed north to hunt silver in two days and I'll be gone until the frost makes it impossible to dig... usually late October. Good luck with your autumn prospecting adventures, you must have caught your breath when uncovering this latest nugget... congratulations Jay. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jay - Congratulations! Tell me, did you consider the location (under 10 inches, in a pocket, standing on edge) a fluke? or a reward for looking in a right
spot due to increased experience? And was the general area considered "worked out" or not?

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Thanks Fullpan, I feel lucky to have nailed this nugget because the area is considered worked out. I know at least a dozen detectors have swung coils in the area, so yes it was in a worked spot but it was also where au should be found. I happen to know the first two who hit this spot pulled around 6+ ounces and then for me to go through and only be able to pull a single pc attests to the good job the first detectors did. Its out there but getting harder to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread