Expat

Sep 17, 2013
Cuenca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,

Another new guy to your forum. I am retired military and have moved to Cuenca, Ecuador, and my first ever detector is now on its way from the States. It is now in Quito Customs and hopefully will be this Friday. After a lot of reading and research it was a toss-up between a Whites GMT and the Gold Bug 2. I final selected the GB 2 w/ a 6.5 and 10 in. elliptical search coils.

I am sure neither of these coils have covers. And it was very difficult to get anyone sell and shop to Ecuador. So getting coil covers may be just as difficult to get as the GB 2. I was wondering if wrapping the coils in clear plastic kitchen wrap, that clinging wrap, would help with some protection. At least from grass stains and maybe scratches. I know it would not be good to use this in water, but on dry land for a time until I can find a place to get covers and ship here. Would that degrade the performance of the detector? Good idea for the short term? Or, just a bad idea?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting the proper protective coil covers is a absolute must, band-aid modifications will just not work in the harsh conditions where the gold is. Spend the extra money and take the time to get them(might get extras), you will be glad you did. Good luck

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expat,
Why not send me your mailing information, I will purchase the coil covers and send them to you. Then you can share with me long stories of your explorations, finds, explain interesting meetings with various folks in your prospecting zone and the like with pictures of course. If this sounds interesting to you then PM me with your address and I will get right on it...................63bkpkr

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Expat,
Why not send me your mailing information, I will purchase the coil covers and send them to you. Then you can share with me long stories of your explorations, finds, explain interesting meetings with various folks in your prospecting zone and the like with pictures of course. If this sounds interesting to you then PM me with your address and I will get right on it...................63bkpkr
Very kind of you Herb

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had quite a few buds spend time-up to years-in Ecuador and once gold comes into play things get real freaky. A historical artifact gets ya life in prison and in their prisons that's a short life. Coil covers mandatory and ALWAYS err on the side a caution as USA cash always welcome but gold miners not so much-John

OP
OP
E

Expat

Sep 17, 2013
Cuenca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably somewhat true. But we have access to several hundred hectors of private land in different areas outside of Cuenca. All these areas have rivers and virgin grounds that look to have potential. As for the gold itself. It is kinda a two edged sword here. One thing is for sure, if you don't have it you can't sell it. There is always a way. Especially if your are a resident and live here. It opens up different avenues and opportunities that a visitor may not have.

I will tell what is a funny coincidence. when I was trying to find a distributor in the US to sell and sent me a Gold Bug 2 I found out that Fisher does not allow their distributors to sell and ship out of the US. You have to buy from the factory. I called Fisher Labs and they verified this. I asked then if the had a distributor in Ecuador and they said not. This was their marketing dept. So I eventually found one on EBay that someone had purchased that was as new and bought it with 2 coils and headphones. About 2 weeks ago I was walking to the market and noticed a new store grand opening. It looked like an electronics store. I went in and low and behold, on the was were Fisher, Mine Lab and Garrett detectors as well as pans and other prospecting equipment. I talked to owner and he and his partner in Quito are the new Ecuadorian distributor's for Fish, Mine Lab and Garrett. Thought that was interesting. Of course you would need deep pockets to buy one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expat, sent you a private message....

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On the customs form that has to filled out,make sure to quote a low price, and always say or mark it as a gift.
This way no duties are involved.
Some do this for Ebay items some times.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,

Another new guy to your forum. I am retired military and have moved to Cuenca, Ecuador, and my first ever detector is now on its way from the States. It is now in Quito Customs and hopefully will be this Friday. After a lot of reading and research it was a toss-up between a Whites GMT and the Gold Bug 2. I final selected the GB 2 w/ a 6.5 and 10 in. elliptical search coils.

I am sure neither of these coils have covers. And it was very difficult to get anyone sell and shop to Ecuador. So getting coil covers may be just as difficult to get as the GB 2. I was wondering if wrapping the coils in clear plastic kitchen wrap, that clinging wrap, would help with some protection. At least from grass stains and maybe scratches. I know it would not be good to use this in water, but on dry land for a time until I can find a place to get covers and ship here. Would that degrade the performance of the detector? Good idea for the short term? Or, just a bad idea?

Thanks

Expat,

63BkPkr made you an offer that you can't refuse. I would PM Herb and take the offer. Offers like that are rare and 63 is one of the good guys of these forums. Make contact bud...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread