Lafayette Dollar

tyler6321

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Hello
I bought this coin at an auction to resell on ebay. I was wondering if it would be worth having it slabbed and graded or if I should just sell it raw. It seems that it would need a pretty high grade to make a significant jump in price. I just wondered if anyone had an idea of what it might grade at by a good grading company(pcgs, ngc, etc) Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Lafayette Obversesmall.JPG
    Lafayette Obversesmall.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 366
  • lafayette_revsmall.jpg
    lafayette_revsmall.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 362

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What a great coin!!!
Lafayette Dollars were sold to defray part of the cost of completing Paul Wayland Bartlett's statue of the French General, then under construction in Paris for display at the exposition. Out of an authorization for 50,000 pieces, 36,000 were sold, the remainder being melted.

Since at least one example has sold for over $80,000 (no typo), I'd strongly suggest you get it graded.

Don.........

Source:http://www.coinfacts.com/commemoratives/dollar_commems/lafayette_dollar.htm

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
It is hard to tell from the pics. Has the coin in your opinion ever been cleaned in any way? The coin looks like it has some kind of "stuff" on the surface. If so NGC of PCGS will not grade the coin. NCS will grade the coin and list on the slab the "net" grade and any problems the coin may have.

My 2 cents, VPR

P.S. Very nice piece. That is one that you dont see every day :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
T

tyler6321

Greenie
May 8, 2008
It doesn't look like it has been cleaned, it doesn't have any of the streaks that are usually on cleaned coins.

It does seem to have some kind of gunk or dirt on it. I rubbed a tiny bit off from the side with my finger when I first got it but left the gunk on the face of the coin because I didn't want to damage it at all. Is there any safe way to was the coin. I think that gunk would come off pretty easily but I don't want to ruin the coin either. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread