Lake Champlain Clay Comes Through Again...1851 LC...XF?

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot believe how the clay at the bottom of Lake Champlain preserves coins. Rescued a couple of hours ago...

DSC02353.JPGDSC02354.JPG

aj

Upvote 24
That is an amazing detailed large cent! :occasion14: The farm fields of MA are not so kind to our copper friends!

That's one beautiful coin.
You're right about that clay..

Amazing condition! Congrats on bringing that beauty out of its grave.

Wow. Mint fresh

Stunning coin! I get lucky once in awhile in sandy soil by the water...but nothing like that. Congrats

Last edited:
What a sexy coin. My goodness they don't come any nicer than that from the earth. Congrats!

Definitely incredible condition. 90% of the coppers I find are pretty toasty. I can remember one site that kicked out some nice condition coppers but predominantly they're pretty dilapidated when they come up. Congrats on that one. :thumbsup:

That one is gorgeous. Nice find AJ.

Incredible! Strange how different soils affect metal so drastically. That thing looks amazing :thumbsup:

Beautiful, how deep in the water was she? :-)

That is amazing condition ! The detail, like the thing was made yesterday ! Congrats and HH

Beautiful, how deep in the water was she? :-)

She was in about 5 feet of water and about 4 inches in a mixture of clay and sand. I was snorkeling. The location was about 50 feet from this rocky point which acted as a barrier to the lake's normal flow. This allowed some sand to accumulate in an area that is normally 100% clay. I pulled a couple of coins from the clay (~0.5 in in the clay) nearby and posted them the day before...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...1852-token-brass-roundball-undated-kgiii.html

They come out completely "cleaned", whereas this large cent has some darkening to it.

aj

That may be the best LC I've ever seen posted- incredible preservation- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back