jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone no what this coin is. very very thin and was near black when i dug it. depth around 6-7 inches read on the meter as a quarter hit. i used some blue-ribbion coin preserver to clean it up a bit. also found what i think is a old hatchet head. got permmision to hunt this old iron works by a creek.

Attachments

• Picture 292.jpg
    Picture 292.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6,310
Upvote 1

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Hell you dont need a green card to live over here. Get a plane to mexico and come into the states at your leisure. I have to say though I think that is the oldest coin that I personally have ever seen posted here on TN that was found in the states,really cool find,I guess you really never know what you are going to dig up...HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing find in the states, a hammered silver coin! I have maybe 5 hammered coins found in Germany and one found in the UK. Great find and congrats! HH, Mike

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
tinpan said:
Tinpan........I can get you the greencard but.............you'll have to marry my sister. She may have a prostheticic leg but she gets around very nicely & her glass eye kinda looks off in another direction but you'll get used to it. Just dont look directly at the enormous goiter growing out of her neck.........she is a little self conscience about it, K? Pack yer bags "Brother-in-law".........................your comin' to America!!! ;D

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
"Oroblanco" may like to see this
Thanks Jeff, you are right! What a cool find! I could not believe my eyes, at first I thought he must have meant Lancaster UK, not Lancaster PA but nooooo! I see that it was found near an old iron works? I wonder just how old that iron works IS? Especially considering that Lancaster county was not settled before 1717. Here is a description of PA written in 1751:

Michael Schlatter's Description of Pennsylvania
Written at Amsterdam, June, 1751

"Pennsylvania, lying in the northern part of America, is a country of no small compass. It lies in a healthy climate; it is not merely inhabitable, but very much inhabited, not only by the ancient dwellers in the land, but also by thousands who have emigrated thither from Europe and still arrive every year. It extends toward the north to the five largest inland seas known in the world, along the course of which it is not difficult to reach the celebrated Mississippi River, down which one can sail to the Gulf of Mexico.

"Since the time when the English have taken possession of Pennsylvania, and the country has been peopled from various European nations, it has been divided into nine cantons, these called counties. The most important towns, as they have been built successively, are:

1. Philadelphia, consisting at present of 2,300 houses, mostly of stone.
2. New Castle, consisting of 240 houses, mostly of stone, and lying from Philadelphia distant 40 miles.
3. Chester, consisting of 120 houses, lying 10 miles distant from New Castle.
4. Germantown, consisting of 250 houses, lying 6 miles from Philadelphia.
5. Lancaster, consisting of 500 houses, lying from Germantown 63 miles.
6. York, consisting of 190 houses, lying from Lancaster 23 miles.
7. Reading, lately built, consisting of 60 houses, lying 60 miles from York.

"In the whole of Pennsylvania, according to estimation, there are 190,000 souls, in which the pagan inhabitants are not included. Of these, it is estimated 90,000 are Germans;... These are scattered through all the cantons or counties; still they have more especially settled down in the counties of Philadelphia, Bucks, Lancaster, York, and Chester."

There were Dutch settlers arriving 1630, and Swedes soon after (they fought a war over the region) but prior to this time the first documented European visitor was Captain John Smith in the early 1600s so....how did a 1520 Polish silver coin end up there? I would sure want to do a lot more detecting that area!

Oroblanco

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
That is an AWSOMELY OLD COIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SPEACHLESS" :o

esp cos it's older than the place it was found in!

Have fun and CONGRATULATIONS,
Salvager

S

stefen

I recall reading somewhere (maybe the Redbook) that prior to the U.S. minting coins, that foreign coins were commonly acceptable throughout the colonies. This coin may be one that was circulated at that time in history.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
I recall reading somewhere (maybe the Redbook) that prior to the U.S. minting coins, that foreign coins were commonly acceptable throughout the colonies. This coin may be one that was circulated at that time in history.

Yes this is True.

If you read the History of this area, Most of the Settlers paid for
their Property in, "Pounds", "Gold", or "Silver"

and in Fact paid Taxes the same way.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
THE HISTORY OF POLES IN PENNSYLVANIA

Wow!!!!! You may have found a coin belonging to an early Polish-American explorer named Anthony Sadowski (c. 1669–1736).

Here is a info from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commision http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/ppet/poles/page1.asp?secid=31

from "Poles in Pennsylvania"
Early Settlers in America

Although historians know that Poles settled at Jamestown, Virginia, as early as 1608, it is not known exactly when they first came to Pennsylvania. Because Polish names may have been altered by those unfamiliar with them, Polish settlers of this period are difficult to pinpoint and authenticate. There were some Poles, however, living among the Swedes, Dutch, and Blacks of the Delaware Valley as early as the 1650s, some thirty years before William Penn established Pennsylvania. There is reason to believe that Poles were among the Mennonites who settled in and just north of Philadelphia in the 1690s. By the 1730s, a small number of the Protestant religious sect, the Polish Socinians, had immigrated to Pennsylvania. (Since Polish settlers were too few to form separate communities, they were often absorbed by larger groups.)

Of the earliest settlers, the best known is Anthony Sadowski (c. 1669–1736). A trader, interpreter and explorer, Sadowski immigrated to America between 1700 and 1710, settling finally in Philadelphia. In 1712 he purchased four hundred acres along the Schuylkill River in what is now Berks County. By 1728 he had a trading post at Shamokin. In that year Sadowski was commissioned by Gov. Patrick Gordon and the Provincial Council as an esmissary to the Shawnees during peace negotiations. A year later Sadowski and two other Indian traders had a trading post in western Pennsylvania on the Allegheny River. In 1734 he was interpreter for the meeting of the Oneida Indians with John and Thomas Penn and the Provincial Council.

The Moravian Brethren, who settled primarily in the Bethlehem area, included Poles. A number are remembered for their skills and achievements. George Wenceslaus Golkowski (1725–1813) arrived in New York in 1753 and settled in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, later moving to Bethlehem. Golkowski surveyed and mapped many Moravian tracts. He was also accountant and, for a period, superior of the Brethren’s Home in Christianbrunn. John Valentine Haidt (1700–1780) came to New York in 1754 and later settled in Bethlehem. He was a gifted painter of portraits and religious subjects, many of the latter embellishing Moravian churches in Europe and America. A number of his portraits of notable Moravians are held by the Moravian Historical Society in Nazareth. George Kaske (1712–1796), ordained a deacon at Bethlehem in June 1747, worked for many years as a missionary in British Guiana.

You may wish to contact the historic commission. They may be very interested on your find, and possibly may even re-write local history.

N

nate1976

Lancaster County PA is where I was born and lived until 2 years ago. Any help in that area neede , please don't hesitate to ask. Did you find a turkey hill tea bottle to go with it? Lancaster county has many tourists each year to see the amish and not that far away is Hershey the home of hershey chocolate. 8)

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, Lancaster County, PA has Amish not Mormon people.

N

nate1976

Amish (Quaker's, PA Dutch, German ancestors), Mennonite, a large Brethern communities (example: River Brethern and Blue Rockers) Amish don't usually drive cars but the rest do and are usually black/grey or plain style with no chrome. For the the people that do not know where lancaster county pa is ,about a month ago it is the place where the terrible amish school shooting happened. Also Lancaster county is the home of the famous Twizzler's Candy, and is the home of Columbia (durring the civil war they burnt down a bridge so the troops could not get to Gettysburg. And also Columba Pa was the capital of the USA for a day and that is why they called DC district of Columbia. PA has lots of historical sights that are unknown to the average person and lots of stuff can be found with a MD if you know where to look. Home of the Conestoga Wagon, lots of wood land and river & creek banks to MD for stuff. You can't forget the Big Movie "Witness" form the 80's.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it's viking...that would be awsome

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions