Land Detector For Shallow Water / Beach Use ??

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
Need some opinions here.

I want to do some shallow water hunting starting next year. This wiil be in Fresh Water Beach and Swimming areas.

QUESTION.... Not wanting to invest in a full blown water detector,,, Are there any land detectors that will work for this application ? Specifically any that have the removable control box that could be hung around your neck out of the water. I was thinking maybe the Fisher 1225 X or my Sabre II which have the detechable box and longer cord.

Are there any other good units that would work ?? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure there are some land detectors that the control box can be hung from your neck for wading. Helps to run the wire along the side and tape it there to get more lenght and secure it near the handle.

The 1225 wouldn't work nowhere as well as the Saber II. Many of these Tesoro's will respond to a gold chain too. Course you have to use just enough disc. to make a bobby pin sound funny.

The 1235 is also good, plus freq. change in case your near another detector, and a pinpoint. There are still some fine 1280's out there and they are water proof. You can hunt a little deeper and chest mount it to save weight and mainly water resistance from moving the coil back and forth.

Get yourself a big bucket scoop like the Sunspot. If you win the Lotto, you can get a Excal II.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
IronClad

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
Thanks Sandman.

Believe it or not, but I once used my White's 6000/D S2 for water hunting. I mounted the box on an inner tube and floated it. Man was I scared it was gonna sink.

Anyway, I used to own a 1225 X and I just aquired the Sabre II and thought either would work. I may experiment a bit with the Sabre and see what turns up. If I find enough, I may invest in a good water unit.

If anyone else has experience, I'd like to hear from ya.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GO on ebay , theres nice deals right now on some whites detectors . Theres a beach hunter ID that might go for a good price, a couple of surfmaster pi as well. The problem with the surfmaster is theres no disc.you'll be digging a lot Hairpins and they go deep too ...I have a beach hunter and I do like it .. some guys don't Like them but theres alot guys out there using them that do .. and I have found quite a bit with mine . I also have an excal-1000, there a bit pricey but they will pay for them selfs in a short amount of time . Good luck guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread