Landis Valley Museum Pennsylvania German 1740-1940

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
Landis Valley Museum Pennsylvania German 1740-1940

Second field Trip I went on with one of my nieces.. This place is interacting.. They have scheduled workshops for the school field trips. The one I liked was going into a 1882 school house. Teacher acting the part.. School House as it was then. We all sat at the antique desk. Had to use a slate chalkboard(underdesk) Landis Valley Museum is a nationally significant living history museum that collects, conserves, exhibits, and interprets Pennsylvania German material, culture, history and heritage from 1740 through 1940. Lots of land.

http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/
I'll post a few pics of the trip but there is the link to their website if anyone is intrested.

Attachments

• Bedroom.JPG
    Bedroom.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 171
  • books.JPG
    books.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 179
  • inkbottle.JPG
    inkbottle.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 161
  • stove.JPG
    stove.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Bedroom.JPG
    Bedroom.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 166
  • typicaltablesetting.JPG
    typicaltablesetting.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 156
  • home.JPG
    home.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 160
  • PAstoneware.JPG
    PAstoneware.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 163
  • outsidecooking.JPG
    outsidecooking.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 160
  • bottles1.JPG
    bottles1.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
  • bottles2.JPG
    bottles2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 155
  • camera.JPG
    camera.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 150
M

macgyver

Re: Landis Valley Museum Pennsylvania German 1740-1940

Very neat :D

They have an interactive program similar to this at the Dunwoody Octagonal Schoolhouse in Newtown Square, PA. Usually you have to schedule a time to go or find out what days they have group tours, but I accompanied a local school on a field trip there, and they went through a normal school day just as the original students did.

They sat on wooden benches at wooden tables which were organized in rows in front of the teacher's desk. The teacher was dressed for the time period, and she actually had the children using quill pens and ink bottles on homemade paper to practice their calligraphy and handwriting (like a normal handwriting class would have been in the time period). They also had to use slates for an arithmetic lesson, and then were given a recess - playing with time period toys. It was quite enjoyable actually, and very educational. We also had a chance to use one of the preserved horn boards (I think that is what they were called - they had the alphabet and numbers on them) from the school.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions