ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well my freind bounty hunters get trash talked about for several reasons

the first is that due to low cost lots of folks buy them --and those same folks do not learn to use them properly --then they pee and moan about them being junk --rather than saying gee I'm too lazy to read the manual or watch the dvd /tape ect or I'm too dumb to learn to use it correctly

folks have unreal expectations --think golds just suppossed to fly right to em --cuz gee I got a detector didn't I?

folks upgrade to big betters and want to trash talk about their old machine -- sorta like see my new BMW --chevys suck sorta thing (although he drove chevys for years)

the $250 land star has one thing going for it ithat many in its price range does not ---is manually adjustible ground balace wize in all metal mode -- which can be very useful in high mineral or ocean areas --many of todays cheaper machine have a preset only ground balance and in high mineral / beach areas lowering sen orupping disc levels might bee needed to adjust for it -- with the manual GB ability you can adjust for it the "right way"

TG77

Greenie
Mar 22, 2006
Arkansas
Yes BH is trashed a good deal with, I think, not that much justification anymore. I have a Pioneer 202 which is the same as the QDII and I went out and bought an Ace 250 because I thought it would be an upgrade. It wasn't an upgrade at all. More of a side-grade or side step since both detectors are the same performance wise.

I listened to the hype and got the Ace but found out the BH I already had was just as good as the Ace. Live and learn!

revdrlon

Apr 19, 2008
owensboro, ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land star
as i keep saying, the landstar beats out the ace 250 for one reason, manual ground balance. i agree with ivan and say to read the manual and become an expert on your detector, if you read the manual you should be an expert on the functions within a week and an expert pn the machine within 2 weeks.

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I have used the Land Star for 7 years. It is a reliable machine and I have found thousands of coins with it. I have found more rings with it than any detector that I have ever owned. I own several detectors and the Land Star is my go to detector for most of my hunting needs.cg

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for many years ( something like 13yrs). In that time, I have owned many Tesoro models and a Whites. I always knew about BH and heard others bad mouthing them. I never really put too much thought into buying one or too much thought into others trashing the name.

I was recently thinking of getting a White's MXT and happen to be reading through TreasureNet. Something outa the blue made me start to look into BH. I started to read reviews for the TimeRanger and almost all of them were good/great. After looking further into it, I couldn't believe the features the TR had for the going price.

I went ahead and bought the unit. I have had it out once and it handled great and the depth was fantastic.

I say with a lil more time others are going to see how innovative the First Texas company is. I'm expecting a lot of good products to come from these guys.

For anyone new looking in on this, you should defiantly consider a BountyHunter unit. Great performance for the buck!

BTW, everything I have read says BH service/repair department is outstanding. The units come with a 5 year warranty. Aside from Tesoro, try to find a warranty like that from the other 'big/pricey names".

HH

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The Landstar certainly isn't the worst detector. There is no doubt it will find coins. It does have lots of features. But one can't expect $1,000 performance for $300.

A couple things I didn't like about the Landstar: The response is slow, meaning that when you go over a coin or other accepted object, it beeps not when over the target, but when it is about a foot past the target! So, the beeps from going left to right & right to left might be 2 feet apart.

You can probably estimate the halfway point & this should be findable in the non-motion pinpoint mode easily in low trash areas. I wonder if you were in a trashy area with beeps every couple inches, if it would still be easy to estimate the halfway point, or if you might have to dig more than 1 target to find the coin?

Also, in my soil it would ID everything 6" deep as a silver dollar. That is what it will read when the target is too deep to be analyzed. Of course other detectors have this problem and some of them won't even beep at 6". Most detectors will not ID accurately beyond 4" in my soil, so the Landstar may be no worse.

Just passing along this info to potential buyers to help them guess whether or not they will feel satisfied. HH, George (MN)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if the" beep" is a foot off* --- try slowing down your swing --its not a weed whacker after all :D --lots of folks go way too fast in an effort to cover lots of ground --- slow down --give your machine the time to honestly read the ground properly * -- your finds will be better IDed and deeper as a rule if you do this . :wink:

after about 4 to 6 inches most machines have trouble accuritely ID ing items and depths ( most machines set up their units metal ID based on the conductivity rating of the metal"found" and depth range on the strength / time of the signal return there are many factors that can throw these "automated guessers" off target -- old timers swear by using the audio tones of the metal detectors -- differant metals have differant tones / older machines had no display you had to play it by ear--- I use a combo approach with tone over riding display -- but it they both agree its dig 100%)-- here were I live in florida --- my ace 250 rings up copper cents at 8 in as dimes due to similar copper reading between a clad dimes copper core and a pre 82 cent --so if I want to skip modern zinc cents (say a "tot lot" -- I null out the "cent" symbol thus nulling out zinc cents on it -- but I would not do it in a old home site area since I might lose "indain cents" that often ring up under the zinc "cents" ramge .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread