Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While checking in on the forums today I get the urge to go dig a hole or two myself, but it's already 2 PM ?

I decided on a spot not too far away that has given up at least 10 coppers in the past, and just had a deep plow this spring. So off I went.

I don't have any field shots, or any dirty pictures, as I didn't think there was any thing worth posting. It was only after rinsing off the mud that I realized that I had something. What I had thought was a dandy button turned out to be something I have wanted for some time, a one piece Navy (I would have taken a canon with equal appreciation). This is a very large button at 33mm. A quick online search suggests a date range of 1774 to 1787.

According to this site, Navy buttons
You can see the same as I found a short way down the page, it's the biggest in a group of 13.

Now I have seen many dug Navy buttons in better shape, but I can't say I've seen one as big ?
When the mud came off this piece, and it revealed itself, was one of my best MDing moments, expecting nothing, and getting something. Cool !

Good luck out there.

Attachments

• find12-49a.JPG
    find12-49a.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 150
  • find12-49b.JPG
    find12-49b.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 6

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing find!! Absolutely beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, how did I miss this Rick. That button is off the charts and is definitely Banner worthy. Don't know if it's too late or not but I am pulling the trigger on the BANNER nod.
We had a great year hunting together Rick with some fantastic finds to show for our efforts. I look forward to getting out again next Spring.
ZDD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - that's an awesome find Rick. Never seen one that large. WTG!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These uncommon buttons are excellent finds when they turn up. Hoping someone will do a book that features all these non-U.S. early Navy buttons.

Cheers,

Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These uncommon buttons are excellent finds when they turn up. Hoping someone will do a book that features all these non-U.S. early Navy buttons.

Cheers,

Buck

What's known appears to be way too vague for the amount of material that's out there, so that's why there's no book and probably won't be one. There is some good reference material but just no way you could ever get all the info. on dates, variants, and makers. But if there was such a thing I'd be first in line!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread