large ace 250 coil

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A larger coil does normally get more depth and it is generally the dia of the coil on coin sized targets.

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
It's more like up to 1 1/2" more depth with the big coil.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The increased depth you get with the larger coil depends on the sensitivity settings, soil, target conductivity and size. I know from personal experience with the large Garrett coil is that it maintains good sensitivity to tiny targets, and will cover a larger area faster, should you might want to grid a soccer field. There are times when you have to turn down the sensitivity on a large coil. So, on average, a larger coil will give increased depth.....but how much just depends. Hope this helps.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the 14" x 10" Excelerator for my Ace 250 and it does go deeper. The best part is its size, you can cover more ground quicker and still get a true signal.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the others, adds a bit of depth but not much.
Its main advantage is the larger area you are able to cover.
I have another 250 with the stock coil that I take with me to outings, in case my kids or some others feel like detecting.
It is quite a difference, the stock coil feels very dinky once you are used to the bigger one.

Haven't noticed a difference in the pinpoint sweet spot though, still the tip of the inner coil for me.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
I just bought the 14" x 10" Excelerator for my Ace 250 and it does go deeper. The best part is its size, you can cover more ground quicker and still get a true signal.

That's all I ever use is the large coil.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a back problem I found the larger coil too much of a burden for me to swing. It makes my ACE seem out of balance and I tired quicker. I rarely ever use it now and didn't notice that much improvement in depth. Monty

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I bought a 10" x 14" Excelerator about a week ago, and have used it about 10 hours so far. I pulled a dime at about 8", so that is 2" deeper than the stock coil. The bigger coil is quite a bit heavier, but you can really cover the ground with it. I like it!!!!!!

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the Excelerator 10x14 coil compare to the Garrett 9x12 coil , especially in weight?

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the same I have both. The 10 X 14 rocks :notworthy:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouch, these Excelerator's cost nearly half as much as the detector itself.

How is pinpointing with this thing, I has a double D on a minelab and hated it.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I have no problem pinpointing with the big coil, and I don't have a pinpointer. Sure can cover the ground with it! Glad I bought mine!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xraywolf said:
Ouch, these Excelerator's cost nearly half as much as the detector itself.

How is pinpointing with this thing, I has a double D on a minelab and hated it.

My Excelerator has twice overpaid for it's self so far. :icon_thumleft:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, my impulse buying self just went and ordered one, within minutes of first hearing about them.
Was put off by the $99 plus shipping cost, until I learned how much they were just months ago.

I got the absolute perfect spot to test its depth, an old lot where I pulled 100 + old coins over a 3 year period, milked it for what it was worth with the stock coil, I am 100% certain there are more coins deeper than the 5 inches or so I was able to get.
Am also 100% certain no one else has ever hit this spot, and it might well be covered with asphalt before too long.
I've spent dozens of hours crisscrossing in various patters with slow, overlapping sweeps.
I still get the occasional wheatie digging iffy signals, but if this coil starts producing hits at this lot, I will be an instant believer.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just canceled my order for the coil after a 3 week wait, with still no estimate when they might ship.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I waited nearly two months for my small coil for my Safari. I think I know where you ordered and I wouldn't order again unless they told me there was one in stock with my name on it! They shouldn't advertise if they don't have the merchandise. Monty

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its was kellykos.
Thats exactly my point, their web page said nothing about backorders with an unknown delivery date of at least a few weeks.
I ordered in late SEPT, 3 weeks later and no show, I called and asked when I might expect this, she said she had no idea and it might be a few weeks more.
I canceled the order, since detecting season is about over anyhow.

They absolutely should put that info on sales pages, they don't because it might discourage orders.

thsfineday

Apr 20, 2009
Taylor, MI.
Detector(s) used
omega 8000, ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure what thread i was reading but the info about the DD coils was more than helpful. for some reason i was taking some bad info that was passed on to me through another site. I was told to run the sensitivity at 4 bars but that was all wrong. after reading on here to run it at 6-7 bars not only did i notice about 2-3 more inches of depth i took this new found info to the field and found about 30 coins that i had missed the first time around. each time i would get a signal i would check it with the new settings and the old setting and sure enough, my machine would not find it in the old settings. was able to pull 4 Wheaties and 1 silver quarter that i had missed the first 2 times through. its like starting all over again on this site and it took me about 2 months to go over it the first 2 times. i check each site in one direction and then recheck in the other direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread