Large Anchor Found

99*

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 628
T

tallpaul

big anchor where was this found,, what area, and when, who by we need to know,, HH paul.

OP
OP

99*

Telling would not be fair till Im done, plenty to do, 1700`s heart shaped hard pan coral some gulleys and plenty of goodies********tallpaul nice name 99*

Cablava

May 24, 2005
I once saw a very similar size and shape anchor in West Wales, it was however placed in someones garden some 100 hundred years previously. It even changed the name of the village to "Anchor Hooton" although there is very little remembered of the history these days. There is a picture of it in the book Gower Gleanigs, sadly I am nowhere near my books.

Great find kep it up and keep safe.

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Spelt it wrong, its " Anchor Hoaten"

The anchor has sat on the lawn at Gt. Hoaten (now "Anchor Hoaten House") since the 1880's/1890's. It was brought to Gt. Hoaten on a waggon pulled by a team of horses by the Davies family. It is believed to have come from St. Brides Bay. This photo was taken in 2003.

Attachments

• Anchor Hoaten.jpg
    Anchor Hoaten.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 583

Cablava

May 24, 2005
On the lawn at Great Hoaten Farm (now called Anchor Hoaten House), St. Ishmaels is an enormous anchor, over seventeen feet in length and with flukes measuring fourteen feet across, which is locally held to be a relic of the Spanish Armada.

Another theory said it was Viking. But both theories have been proved to be wrong as it is in fact eighteenth century. It was found on the beach at St. Bride's Haven, though no one can say how it got there, and was dragged by teams of horses to its present site. Its wood is now petrified.

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
The palm shaped flukes are British, or French, sometimes American.
The anchor on land picture has sharp pointed flukes...Spanish.

OP
OP

99*

Good information , very good thank you. 99* yes it could be french or maybe british plenty of cannon balls hundreds, literally 99*again

B.C. Hunter

Greenie
Nov 22, 2005
Vancouver Island
Nice.....Very Nice

That will take more than just a couple of barrels to lift

the one my buddy and I are working on is only 12"
but chain is still attached and sunk into the sand
and leads out to sea, but the floor drops off to
over 200" quite quickly so still haven't found
what is at the end of the chain
just got to scrape togeather the funds for an ROV

are you planning to salvage yours?

OP
OP

99*

Not bothering to lift anything that doesnt shine! at the moment, good luck with yours leave the anchor look for the gold!99*

B.C. Hunter

Greenie
Nov 22, 2005
Vancouver Island
There were/are a lot of hard rock gold mines in the area and not all the ships
were accounted for that brought in supplies and took out the bags
of ore, I'm hopping the chain leads to a ship (preferably one that had
already been loaded with ore)

OP
OP

99*

Victoria BC - plenty of wrecks I would say you are in a gold mine, forget the ore chase the artifacts - 99*

OP
OP

99*

Old Man, Nudge Nudge wink wink say no more, know what I mean? 99*
There are large and strange snakes when one chooses to stray from the path into the long grass, and boy the grass is long!...........

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Cornelius, Please don't be so hard on 99*. I was only trying to find out if he was who I thought he was and I got my answer. I understnd why he wants to remain anonymous.

B.C. Hunter

Greenie
Nov 22, 2005
Vancouver Island
Mariner

The Bute Inlet vessel has too many issues
Historical society, Government, Natives, and
"Outback Jack" all laying claim to it,
and a whole lot of mud to move and
110 Km. by boat to the nearest civilization

If you got caught sniffing around it, there is a
good chance they will never find your body

Nope the one I'm after is a ways north of there

B.C.

OP
OP

99*

Old Man, I confused you with Cornelius I thought the maps refrerd to ere the ones for Bahamas which Cornelius posted, so technically yes one sent maps but only on the forum, its was under Bahamas section, Virgin Islands. Sorry forthe cunfusion i was quick to respond I need to read the posts better. Cornelius semt tje post, the sites are Norman Island and Tortola, both urban legend may be truth to them and maybe if I get ther one day I can look around, soudns too big an operation(whole Island hunting)I like both your posts and gettnig back to your post BC HUnter, BC is my home I live in Victoria. I walk the rail tracks for bottles and have oftent houghtof Tofino for wrecks maybe a rare japanese vessel. ??good hunting be careful of politics and Canada99*

B.C. Hunter

Greenie
Nov 22, 2005
Vancouver Island
99*
Tofino has definite possibilities but the area is huge,
the rocks at the entrance to Uclulet harbour is a lot smaller area but has been
hunted (Probably not very well though you can only work the area in good weather at slack tide)
also check out the old whaling stations around the island. a buddy of
mine found a harpoon spear in Winter harbour
Leechtown has some history and a lost Spanish gold mine (and only 45 min. from you)
If you are into bottles look around old wharfs, the workers and fishermen used the salt chuck as their garbage
I was in Victoria 2 days ago I'm from Nanaimo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread