Newbie with high interest in Oregon Coast

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Getting a Garrett ACE 250 Real Soon
I am totally new to this whole world of treasure hunting, but I am very interested in the history and the lore of Oregon Coast shipwrecks and treasures. Could anybody help out and give a bit of info to help me find a starting place. I live in Beaverton, but I have a family cabin in Manzanita. I know, through my years of fishing, that the Nehalem bay bar is one of the most dangerous in Oregon, and I wonder if there are any significant wrecks off of the coast around there. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot :). I know that the Cannon beach treasure is kinda fopaux, but I am interested in learning more about that as well.

Mil-hunter

Cablava

May 24, 2005
There is a book with a few story details below, I do not endorse the book as I have never read it. However the details may be good its as good a place as any to start, if you find anything you are interested in then use your computer and start researching.

Good Luck

Treasure Tales of the Oregon Coast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wanted the treasure tales? Well here they are, at least the first volume anyway. Treasure Tales of the Oregon Coast is now available. Get yours today!
The book is more than 100 pages and includes all of the popular stories plus a handful of lesser known stories. There are more than 30 stories in all . Also included is a complete bibliography of all of my sources so that you too can track down all of these fascinating references.

Treasure Tales of the Oregon Coast

Contents

Sunshine Shipwreck -- $10,000 in gold
Clatsop Beach Galleon -- Shipwreck
Flavel House Cache -- Money Cache
Coxcomb Hill Cache -- $10,000 in cash
Clatsop Plains Mine -- Gold Mine
Graveyard of Ships -- Shipwrecks
Clatsop County Gold Mines
Cannon Beach Treasures - Shipwrecks
Skagway Treasure - Gold Bullion
Neahkahnie Treasure -- Pirate Treasure
Lost Tillamook Mine - Gold Mine
Cape Floranda Vault -- Pirate Treasure
Cape Lookout Chest - Treasure Chest
Three Rocks Treasure -- Pirate Treasure
Newport Diamond Cache - Jewelry Cache
Yaquina Bay Gold Cache
Seal Rock Gold Cache
Golden & Silver Falls Cache - Gold Cache
French Trappers Mine - Gold Mine
Randolph Trail Cache -- Gold Dust Cache
Whiskey Run -- Gold Ghost Town
Coquille Treasure Rock -- Pirate Treasure
Nugget Toms Lost Ledge -- Gold Mine
Port Orford Meteorite -- Meteorite
Curry County Platinum - Platinum Mining
Lost City of Floras Creek - Ancient City
Rogue River Gold Pouch -- Gold Cache
Gold Beach Treasure Chests -- Treasure Chests
Mexican Cache - Gold Cache
Gold Beach Shipwreck - Gold Coins
Brother Jonathan Shipwreck -- Gold Coins

If you would like to add some adventure to your next trip to the Oregon Coast you will definitely want to read these stories.
Treasure Tales of the Oregon Coast sells for $14.95 and is available in bookstores or you can use the Order Form .
Don't delay, Order today.

I will ship ASAP

The link to the form is this, the form button is near the bottom of the page

http://members.aol.com/otrc/ttsub.html

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mil Hunter:
Welcome to this list.
Regarding your request....
Three books written by James A. Gibbs are fine sources for shipwrecks off the Oregon coast.
The best is: Shipwrreck of the Pacific Coast. The other two are Pacific Graveyard--and Sentinels of the North Pacific.
The first book lists 12 wrecks in your area; specifically, between Tillamook and Astoria. The most famous is the Beeswax Wreck (1679). Check online for many hits. And as you may know, this area has long been known as the Graveyard of the Pacific.
Gibbs book notes the name, year of loss and approximate location of the wrecks. In some cases he actually has pics of the wreck.
Don.....

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Mil Hunter,

"Treasure Tales of the Oregon Coast" contains some good stories, but I wouldn't p[lace too much faith in its content. Have you read "Stories of Nehalem" by S.J. Cotton, or "Treasure Hunting Northwest" by Ruby El Hult ? Both have pretty good info about the possible wrecks around Manzanita.

Manzanita Beach/Nehalem Spit is almost certainly the site of a Manila galleon wreck. That is the most likely source of all the beeswax found there. From time to time this ship has been uncovered. I have never heard any suggestion about anybody finding evidence of cannons, which suggest to me that the wreck took place prior to 1600. This fits in with the carbon dating of the beeswax and of some of the Chinese ceramics found along the spit. I have several of the archaeological reports about these, and could send you the references. It would be much easier to locate the wreck if it had carried cannons, and I know of at least one serious researcher who believes that it did. I do not think anybody has made a serious attempt to find evidence of the wreck using magnetometers, for example, and I think there is a great opportunity for somebody willing to tackle the search in a serious way.

From my research, I think the wreck lies buried somewhere along the outside of the spit, directly west of the Manzanita Airport. Have you visited the Pioneer Museum in Tillamook, which has lots of information and material collected over the years by its late Director, Wayne Jensen. It also has a pretty good library compiled by Wayne, which is available free for researchers.

It so happens that I am going to be in Tillamook tomorrow morning (Wednesday) and could meet you there if you happen to be in the area then. If not, perhaps another time.

Mariner

OP
OP
mil-hunter

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Getting a Garrett ACE 250 Real Soon
Mariner,

Unfortunately I will be in Vancouver working tommorow. I go to Manzinita mainly on weekends (when I have time). But I am interested in your research. I am very new to this whole thing, so Please bear with me. I have reserved the two books that you have recomkended and will be picking them up today. The Manila Galleon is the wreck that I am most interested in, but I also heard of a cave somewhere in Tillamook county, that used to be a pirate Casche. This casche is another posibility that I am looking into.

Also, I have told some of my buddies who dive about the treasures off the Oregon Coast, but they all seem skeptical. How valid are these stories that are out there? Since I am new to this It is hard for me to tell "True Tale" from "Tall Tale". I think that I need to read some of these books. thanks for your help, and we will have to meet up sometime. I don't know when I will be on the coast again since it is a busy time of the year for the Army Reserves (My Job).

Mil Hunter

B.C. Hunter

Greenie
Nov 22, 2005
Vancouver Island
Check out these sites

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/ships/html/sh_039600_goldenhind.htm

http://www.mcn.org/2/oseeler/voy.htm

some believe that the Golden Hind didn't spend the 5 weeks maintenance in California
Drake had thought he had discovered the North West Passage (Juan de Fuca)
then harboured at 38"30' N
But the official records were falsified by the Queen in order to throw anyone else off from finding
the Passage
it is speculated he was farther North when he did his maintenance
there is a rough map of the cove that he sheltered in
I'll try to find it and forward it to you
It is a long coast line but it might be worth the search to find the cove and
plaque he was said to have left behind in it.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
I deduced in 1980 that Drake's anchorage was Whale Cove, a small harbor at 44 deg 47 min., just north of Cape Foulweather on the Oregon coast. Part of my reasoning involved matching the cove with the perspective sketch that appears as an inset on the Hondius Broadside map circa 1589. Allmy research since then has convinced me that this identification was correct, and it is increasingly being accepoted as Drake's true anchorage.

There is one other detailed representation of the anchorage, the manuscript map that Robert Dudley drew as part of the preparation for his world atlas circa 1656. Dudley was the illegitimate son of the Earl of Leicester, one of Drake's main sponsors, and may have had access to privileged information about the Cove. If anybody looks at the two representations, they will find a key difference which needs to be understood before they can be matched with each other and then with Whale Cove.

Mariner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread