Large Cent Club

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I secured the permission of an old property and gave the owner a case of beer in thanks. (Actually two 12 packs). The house is located in the oldest section of town and the yard contained a mish-mash of metal things from clad to this.... my first Large Cent.

Doug joined me and we detected the house next door as well. The house next door seems to have been detected before, as there were only modern coins, but there were some older relics in spots. I gave some items to one of the owners on the spot, including a silver ring and what looked like a coin button.
Largecent.jpg
You can see the LC is in pretty bad shape. I think the date is 1827 or 1837. Anyway. It's the oldest coin I've found so far. I thought it was a token at first, but when I rinsed it off I could see the ONE CENT. It's the closest thing to Big Coppa in my neck of the woods.
LargeCU.jpg
Even though it's trashed, maybe one of the coin experts can tell what the date is by the close up.

This one took me by surprise for sure! :D

Cheers!

Ridley

Upvote 0

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Ridley. I belong to many clubs...but NOT the large cent club...and I want in that one as well.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds Ridley, WTG!!!
Good, or bad condition, it's still a nice find. You got to figure, it's probably at least 150 years old...
Also, this is one club I can finally join... ;D Sure been a lot of large cents found lately...
Continued good luck, & Happy hunting~

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Congrats on the 1st LC Ridley... I'm still searching for my first...

HH Robert

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the large cent club Ridley. I just joined last a week and a half ago. As far as the date goes, if 1827 and 1837 are your guesses then I would lean towards 1837. An 1827 would have a head like this coin...... (see below)which yours does not appear to have. Yours appears to be a modifed matron head which would be 1837-1839. Nice find! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 284

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get one off Ebay ,does that count? LOL Just kidding I wait to find my own. ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still waiting for my membership application to be sent out Ridley ;) Might take a while!!Big High Five Ridley!!!Happy for ya my man.....Congrat's and HH!!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
You're really rocking t-net with those authentically looking dug coins as well as your other finds.

Keep it up Ridely.

HH

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Congratulations Ridmiester...Very Nice...

Geesh Man does that say $1.00 on the 3 merry widows condom container...WOW...pricey back in the day... ;D

Way to Go,
Nick

Yes, butt well worth it Nick. ;D

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Ridley, Congrats on your first Large Cent!!! ;)
Looks to be in pretty good shape.
I've had very good results cleaning the few I've found now with the "hot peroxide treatment" I learned about here on the forum.
I just put about a half cup of peroxide in a bowl, nuke it for about a minute, then drop the coin in, face up, but with the bowl tilted, and the coin leaning on the side of the bowl, so the coin is fully submerged, and the peroxide is cleaning it equally on both sides. Leave it in for about 5 minutes or so till it cools down. Sometimes I repeat it a bunch of times.
I can honestly say that I feel that this method does a great job of cleaning, and bringing out the dates on the Large Cents I've found.
Good luck, and congrats again!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rekin I could find one of those in Bama? :P :D

DANG RIDLEY!!! You are having an awesome summer of finds! :o

Many congrats!!! Nana ;)

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Thanks guys!

Buzzard King and Evolution, thanks for the information about cleaning and the Date.

These coins are out there guys and gals! Just swing your coil over the oldest ground you can find, and dig anything that's conductive!

I'll tell you this. Kirk is right! Do some rasearch and keep trying! You will find them too! :D

Cheers!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions